Strength on the bench

That is the strongest bench I can remember in a long time. Our overall squad has increased massively.

Mcglaughlin (International)
Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Defoe (bucket load of international)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)
(and Roofe to come back into squad)

Like for like we were missing similar players to them in Roofe, Aribo and Katic, Aribo got a cameo but had no game time in weeks. We have had injury worries all season so far.

The only players coming into their squad who would maybe have stengthened them today was Edouard and maybe Christie
Christie, Eduoard, Forrest, Julien, Bitton, El Hamed, off the top of my head.
Regardless, our bench was refreshing to say the least!

I think its unfair some of the negativity towards young Barker on here,i thought he did well yesterday
I try not to be too critical, as it often bites me in the rear, but he was very half hearted in his pressing, his runs were all wrong, but he did run I suppose and closed down in some cases, still of the opinion we need better and he, again, in my opinion, is a downgrade on Candeias, Windass, Waghorn, Mckay etc

Greg Stewart has also become bit of a forgotten man, yet has practically never put a foot wrong when called upon.
I have to agree, Greg has looked decent, and a potential to make a difference, but he plays through the middle more, and the management team like width.

I try not to be too critical, as it often bites me in the rear, but he was very half hearted in his pressing, his runs were all wrong, but he did run I suppose and closed down in some cases, still of the opinion we need better and he, again, in my opinion, is a downgrade on Candeias, Windass, Waghorn, Mckay etc
He did his part in destroying the tramps so that will do me,boy will get better in time

non-starters on Saturday

McLaughlin

Patterson
Balogun
Edmundson
Bassey

Jack
Zungu
Aribo

Roofe
Itten
Hagi

subs: Jones, Stewart, Firth, Katic, Defoe, Barjonas, Middleton

the improvement in squad quality & depth is sensational

Christie, Eduoard, Forrest, Julien, Bitton, El Hamed, off the top of my head.
Regardless, our bench was refreshing to say the least!
Are they strengthening their team though?

Edouard and Christie yes, and you could argue Forrest but I hear them moaning about him constantly.

Julien I actually thought has been canned, he has been missing for weeks. They would have been screaming if El Hamed started ahead of Frimpong

Our current bench strength is mightily impressive. In putting it together, I image Gerrard had in mind last season's implosion when a number of regular starters appeared to go AWOL. This time around, such is the depth of current squad, that any laggards can be replaced by a player of comparable ability.

I agree, didn't see anything in Barker. Was surprised to see him come out for the 2nd half. Maybe he did what he was asked to do, but I would have expected him to be chasing balls and putting more pressure on their players.

entirely possible that Kent was the one given license to dazzle & Barker was there for the workrate

That is the strongest bench I can remember in a long time. Our overall squad has increased massively.

Mcglaughlin (International)
Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Defoe (bucket load of international)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)
(and Roofe to come back into squad)

Like for like we were missing similar players to them in Roofe, Aribo and Katic, Aribo got a cameo but had no game time in weeks. We have had injury worries all season so far.

The only players coming into their squad who would maybe have stengthened them today was Edouard and maybe Christie

We do have strength on the bench and its up to those guys to contribute whether they start or come off the bench.

Every player must be aware of the value of their contribution this season.

Are they strengthening their team though?

Edouard and Christie yes, and you could argue Forrest but I hear them moaning about him constantly.

Julien I actually thought has been canned, he has been missing for weeks. They would have been screaming if El Hamed started ahead of Frimpong
They certainly make them stronger.

Christie and Eduoard are a given.

Julien/Bitton instead of the kid at the back - not that he played badly I suppose.

Forrest is an enigma to me, he looks bang average yet returns good numbers in terms of goals and assists. And he would most likely have played instead of Frimpong.

We also had players out, which “pundits” seem to forget. Roofe, Katic etc

Back