Strikers that don't score goals

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
Obviously when you think striker you think goals, but what about these strikers that carve a career as a professional that hardly ever score goals. Heard on Soccer sat them name a striker who has scored 4 goals in 2 years.. wtf. How do these players get away with it?. Is it as easy as saying they contribute in other ways?.

Firminio has got to be classed as the most high profile one of these?.

Obviously when you think striker you think goals, but what about these strikers that carve a career as a professional that hardly ever score goals. Heard on Soccer sat them name a striker who has scored 4 goals in 2 years.. wtf. How do these players get away with it?. Is it as easy as saying they contribute in other ways?.

Firmino’s record at Liverpool has only really been crappy since the start of last season, but I think they could definitely do better than him now.

Makes me think of Franny Jeffers at us. Managed to just hide throughout a match, Mladenovic was another one who was just a ghost on the pitch although not a striker.

Christophe Dugarry was one, 55 caps for France as well!
Mbo Mpenza as well (think we were linked with him back in the day).

Lee Erwin (guy who got skelped by big Moshni)

32 goals in his 8 year career so far. Currently at St Mirren

Roberto Firmino - 58 in 181 games for Liverpool. Didn’t score at Anfield once last season I believe

I always thought Giroud but I think his record actually fairly decent, maybe its his style of play - a bit laconic maybe. But great career.

Roberto Firmino - 58 in 181 games for Liverpool. Didn’t score at Anfield once last season I believe
To be fair, one in three is an alright record considering his role is to create goals for the other two. Should definitely have more, but one in three is alright at any level.

Firmino is definitely the main example at the moment, the last 2 years have been brutal. Its not as if he doesn't get opportunities either, he misses some amount of clear chances.

His overall play has dropped off massively this season as well, down in pretty much every category. He's gone from being a key piece to their set-up to someone needing replaced.

Out of curiosity, what do people consider a good goal:game ratio for a top level striker?

Firmino seems to be getting it hard on this thread, but I’d say a 1-in-3 strike rate isn’t too bad in the EPL. This is also ignoring the fact that some strikers have a lot of secondary responsibility e.g. pressing and acting as a focal point.

Benjani, best transfer story every though.

Quite a few guys of that ilk, kept getting gigs at lower EPL clubs. Kenwyne Jones, Valeri Bojinov and our very own Daniel Cousin who’s record was pretty poor.

Fernando Torres was roughly 1 in every 3 games and that's only that high because he was dynamite at Liverpool.

For a player with his talent, his goal scoring ratio should have been much higher.
I was going to say him but he was done round about 2011, major knee surgery after the WC he never recovered from.

Steven Fletcher always puzzled me. Good overall contributor but I cannot recall his goal tally being that great.
I like Fletcher as a player, usually good for 10-12 goals in the Prem. Good shout though because he’s not a natural goal scorer.

Guivarch and Giroud immediately come to mind as being the main strikers without scoring when France won their two world cups. Giroud never even managed a shot on target in the tournament.

I suppose they could say their job was to distract the defenders and make space for the better players like Zidane, Griezmann, Mbappe etc. to score.

Jay Aston Emmanuel-Thomas

Started for Livi against us at the weekend......

11 goals in 5 years. How do these guys still get clubs?.
The boy is like a hoose wae legs, imagine he has been used as battering ram. Noticed on Sunday his touch on the ground was terrible, poor man's heskey

You can still be a top player as a striker without being prolific as a goalscorer.

Joe Jordan scored 117 career goals in 508 games, yet played at the top level in England and Italy and in three World Cups.

Firminio role is totally unique I’m not really a fan of it but it works for them (Morelos is doing the Same role this season and it doesn’t suit him at all), it involves starting in the 9 position and pulling into the 10role taking defenders with you creating space

Connor Wickham is another striker whos been about for years but seems to be a guy in form when he scores 2 goals in 25 appearances. Im sure hes had a couple of ridiculously high transfer fees as well

But I think we have a winner with Solanke. Great shout

You can still be a top player as a striker without being prolific as a goalscorer.

Joe Jordan scored 117 career goals in 508 games, yet played at the top level in England and Italy and in three World Cups.

Bergkamp was near enough 1 goal in 4 for Arsenal but was outstanding for them and is regarded as one of their greatest ever players.

It really depends on your game as a whole.

There is undoubtedly a lot of dross and overpaid strikers around though.

Add 37 assists to that. Firmino doesn't score like Salah or Mane, but when he's not playing they are a different team, and not for the better.

Guivarch and Giroud immediately come to mind as being the main strikers without scoring when France won their two world cups. Giroud never even managed a shot on target in the tournament.

I suppose they could say their job was to distract the defenders and make space for the better players like Zidane, Griezmann, Mbappe etc. to score.

Always found that weird with Giroud given he’s actually got a fair amount of goals for France.

Pretty sure he’s like their second highest scorer now or something.

Always found that weird with Giroud given he’s actually got a fair amount of goals for France.

Pretty sure he’s like their second highest scorer now or something.
I would be surprised if he didn’t beat Henry’s record, great striker. 9 behind I believe, hope he does it.

You've got to consider the teams these guys are playing in. Some of the guys mentioned in here are never going to bang in 30 a season playing in shite teams that don't create many chances for them to score.

Back