Strikers that don't score goals

I noticed Kane dropping deep with England in the last big tournament and thought he was awful, seen him this season and he’s been unreal turning into one of the most complete footballers I’ve seen

Some of his through balls to Son are out of this world. He's definitely stepped it up. Thought he was becoming a bit stale at Spurs but he's been fantastic.

Out of curiosity, what do people consider a good goal:game ratio for a top level striker?

Firmino seems to be getting it hard on this thread, but I’d say a 1-in-3 strike rate isn’t too bad in the EPL. This is also ignoring the fact that some strikers have a lot of secondary responsibility e.g. pressing and acting as a focal point.

A goal every three games on average is okay by me.

Karim Benzema comes to mind - doesnt score enough considering the gluttony of chances Real create.

Obviously when you think striker you think goals, but what about these strikers that carve a career as a professional that hardly ever score goals. Heard on Soccer sat them name a striker who has scored 4 goals in 2 years.. wtf. How do these players get away with it?. Is it as easy as saying they contribute in other ways?.

Firminio has got to be classed as the most high profile one of these?.
Christian Benteke.

This begs the question, if they aren't doing the job they are meant to, why are they played in that position?
There’s more to football than scoring goals?
Seriously, there is definitely more to a centre forward’s game than only scoring goals.
Think of Kris Boyd.

Benzema is fifth highest goal scorer in Real Madrid's history, having overtaken Puskas. Not bad for a striker who doesn't score goals.

There are so many crap EPL players who went for decent money because they put in a shift. Shane Long, Kenwyne Jones, Joselu etc.

Kenny Miller also fell into this category once upon a time, but was pretty class after he left Derby. Dominic Calvert Lewin another until Ancelotti took charge.

How could I forget Danny Graham. Remember we were linked with him under Warburton and we still had some posters on here like "the big man could do us a turn" ffs.

Two I used to see on tv as a kid and have no idea how they were Premier League strikers yet they seemed to be at their clubs for ages.

Henrik Pedersen - 22 in 143 for Bolton. Played from 2001-2007.

Shaun Bartlett 24 in 123 for Charlton. Played from 2000-2006

Emile Heskey didn't score that many but played a lot, especially for England, due to what he did for the team.

Kenny Dalglish at international level - 102 caps and 39 goals. This was back when Scotland has a half decent team and qualified for tournaments.

Club level - 559 appearances, 230 goals

I was a tad bored one night and decided to work out a good to goal ratio for EPL players who had scored 100+ goals. IIRC Heskey was the worst by quite long shot. If I took him out and the second worst (less than 1 in 3) out it altered the stats dramatically.
I think a good striker was around a goal every 0.48 games with Heskey included.

Last edited:
jmex5dala6yurstzi271.png

Shane Long, carved a career out of running
I was about to post his name. Just had a look at his league goals in the past 5 seasons

16/17 Played 32 scored 3
17/18 Played 30 scored 2
18/19 Played 26 scored 5
19/20 Played 26 scored 2
20/21 Played 3 scored 0

Compare that to Danny Ings at the same club

19/20 Played 38 scored 22
20/21 Played 5 scored 4

As Only in Excuse (back when it was good) described Stevie Archibald playing for Scotland
Neither a goal taker or creator,
more of a goal watcher and appreciator

Having watched part of tonight’s Liverpool game Divock Origi is absolute gash
Had a hell of a second half of the 2018/19 season with last minute winners against Newcastle and Everton when they lost out on the title to City by a point as well as two against Barca in the 4-0 semi final win and the clincher in the final against Spurs in the last minute.

Not kicked on at all since then, more than likely his last season at Liverpool this season I reckon.

I was about to post his name. Just had a look at his league goals in the past 5 seasons

16/17 Played 32 scored 3
17/18 Played 30 scored 2
18/19 Played 26 scored 5
19/20 Played 26 scored 2
20/21 Played 3 scored 0

Compare that to Danny Ings at the same club

19/20 Played 38 scored 22
20/21 Played 5 scored 4

It's crazy and capped by his country too. Would fancy myself to score as many goals as he has. Think he has spent most his career in EPL too!

Mark Hughes- would likely be considered one of the best forward players of his generation. Outside of his times with Man United his scoring record is pretty poor. Even at Man United it’s not spectacular.
His ability to hold the ball up and bring team mates into the game was world class though.

1980–1986Manchester United89(37)
1986–1988Barcelona28(4)
1987–1988Bayern Munich (loan)18(6)
1988–1995Manchester United256(83)
1995–1998Chelsea95(25)
1998–2000Southampton52(2)
2000Everton18(1)
2000–2002Blackburn Rovers50(6)

Kenny Dalglish at international level - 102 caps and 39 goals. This was back when Scotland has a half decent team and qualified for tournaments.

Club level - 559 appearances, 230 goals
Dalglish scored 30 for Scotland in 102 games. Shares the record with Denis Law ,who scored 30 in 55 games.

He's missed out that most of Dalglish's caps pre 1977 were in midfield.
And also that a forward is not necessarily a striker which a lot of people overlook. Mark Hughes mentioned elsewhere is the perfect example. Prime Hughes would have got into just about any team at the time.

As Only in Excuse (back when it was good) described Stevie Archibald playing for Scotland
Neither a goal taker or creator,
more of a goal watcher and appreciator
I remember the radio show back at the time of the 86 world cup.

'There's no footballer who could replace Kenny Dalglish who dropped out of the squad, so they decided to take Steve Archibald, who was never a footballer!!!'

Back