Stuart Crowther RIP - founder of Hibs.net has passed away

mdingwall

Administrator
Sad to discover Stuart has passed away - far from a bosom buddy but a pioneer in fanzines and online fan websites.

I first met Stuart around 2000 in the build up to the launch of Rivals.net and he was bringing Hibs.net into it and I was launching FF online. Over the following years both in his role with hibs.net and with Hibernian FC he was unfailing helpful and courteous - even if his sense of humour could take a little getting used to.

He built a community which meant that for a couple of years I think I am correct in saying Hibs.net was the biggest fan forum in the UK.

We didn't always see eye to eye but his observations were heart-felt and usually worth taking heed of. He loved his club and was a credit to it.

Many thanks for the memories - condolences to his friends and family.

THIS WAS POSTED ON HIBS.NET

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339686-RIP-Stuart-Crowther

RIP Stuart Crowther
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.
Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!
On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum. A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.
Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.
While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

Last edited:
PS - reading the tribute thread on Hibs.net brough back a few memories - the old Hibs list server (email list were the first big thing for football fans) was hosted by an enthusiast in the Geology Department of Saskatoon University!

To avoid the derailing of the thread

Terrible thing to happen, but I like to view the change that people make in the world. If at least one person's life is better because of you, then you left a positive mark on the world.

I bet a lot of hibs fans are very thankful for hibs.net and saddened by the loss.

To avoid the derailing of the thread

Terrible thing to happen, but I like to view the change that people make in the world. If at least one person's life is better because of you, then you left a positive mark on the world.

I bet a lot of hibs fans are very thankful for hibs.net and saddened by the loss.

Well said, buddy.

That’s exactly right.

Condolences to Stu’s family

He was also the founder of inside Moray, good local news website/Facebook page up here in Moray. Although he stepped down from running it a year or so ago it was one of the pages I frequented for my local news.

Sad to discover Stuart has passed away - far from a bosom buddy but a pioneer in fanzines and online fan websites.

I first met Stuart around 2000 in the build up to the launch of Rivals.net and he was bringing Hibs.net into it and I was launching FF online. Over the following years both in his role with hibs.net and with Hibernian FC he was unfailing helpful and courteous - even if his sense of humour could take a little getting used to.

He built a community which meant that for a couple of years I think I am correct in saying Hibs.net was the biggest fan forum in the UK.

We didn't always see eye to eye but his observations were heart-felt and usually worth taking heed of. He loved his club and was a credit to it.

Many thanks for the memories - condolences to his friends and family.

THIS WAS POSTED ON HIBS.NET

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339686-RIP-Stuart-Crowther

RIP Stuart Crowther
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.
Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!
On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum. A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.
Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.
While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

Can’t help but admire guys who created these online communities, that still thrive today. They turned talking your Club on a Saturday to a 24/7 thing. RIP Stuart.

He was also the founder of inside Moray, good local news website/Facebook page up here in Moray. Although he stepped down from running it a year or so ago it was one of the pages I frequented for my local news.

met him once and as you say founder of the inside moray page RIP Stuart

Can’t help but admire guys who created these online communities, that still thrive today. They turned talking your Club on a Saturday to a 24/7 thing. RIP Stuart.

this is my thinking too. For that they get the plaudits they deserve though probably not from many wives...
RIP to Stuart and thoughts with his family and friends at this time.

Back