Stuart McCall - Rangers and after Rangers

bluenizzy

After Rangers:

Stuart McCall joined Rangers in a £1.2m deal from Everton in 1991. He’d go on to become a club legend, winning numerous trophies. He left Ibrox on a free transfer in 1998.

Stuart McCall

Rangers (265 apps/20 goals)
- 91/92, 92/93, 93/94, 94/95 & 95/96 Premier League
- 91/92, 92/93, 95/96 Scottish Cup
- 92/93 & 93/94 League Cup
- 93/94 & 97/98 Scottish Cup Runner Up
- Rangers Hall of Fame
Bradford City (193 apps/9 goals)
- 98/99 Promotion to the Premier League
- 98/99 Bradford City Player of the Year
Sheffield United (90 apps/2 goals)
Scotland (40 caps/1 goal)

McCall retired from playing in 2005. He is now manager of Bradford City.

A legend. He scored two in an FA Cup Final in a losing Everton side against Liverpool a year or two before we got him, and how lucky we were.

Loved him. Utterly tenacious.

I had been down at Inverclyde on some SFA thing not long after he signed for Rangers. When we were coming home we got caught in traffic and we pulled up next to an Audi. It was Stuart McCall. We obviously got pretty excited and he just laughed and stuck his tongue out at us. Seems so innocent now but it really made the day of the three of us!

Loved him.

He was a real players player. Did a load of grafting, he seemed to have endless energy. But added to that he was a good footballer too

Watched the Scotland games on the ITV Hub at Euro 96 and he was probably Scotlands best player against England and Switzerland

After Rangers:

Stuart McCall joined Rangers in a £1.2m deal from Everton in 1991. He’d go on to become a club legend, winning numerous trophies. He left Ibrox on a free transfer in 1998.

Stuart McCall

Rangers (265 apps/20 goals)
- 91/92, 92/93, 93/94, 94/95 & 95/96 Premier League
- 91/92, 92/93, 95/96 Scottish Cup
- 92/93 & 93/94 League Cup
- 93/94 & 97/98 Scottish Cup Runner Up
- Rangers Hall of Fame
Bradford City (193 apps/9 goals)
- 98/99 Promotion to the Premier League
- 98/99 Bradford City Player of the Year
Sheffield United (90 apps/2 goals)
Scotland (40 caps/1 goal)

McCall retired from playing in 2005. He is now manager of Bradford City.
How we can could be doing with him in the team now. Great we player,wee bit like Alex McDonald.

His Scotland goal not at the World Cup v sweden ? He was great for us , still was a player for a few years after he left , Remember he gave Patrick viera a game in an FA cup semi final when he was close to 40 for Sheffield United , they took him off just after the hour and they lost after that

Reactions: TQ3
In my opinion, he was our hardest midfielder in the mid to late 90s in a very tough midfield with the likes of fergie in it. I sometimes think how hard mccall was maybe gets overlooked as he maybe didn't have the physical stature of fergie. You'd know you were in for a game if you were up against those 2. Rino gattuso was a ready made replacement for him, but we had a different style of midfield when wee dick came in, and at the time, he wasn't good enough to get in it.

Served with a massive Bradford City supporter by the name of Baz Large in the REME, his forearm was adorned with a massive McCall tattoo at full stride with a ball!!! He had a soft soft for us too.

I live near Bradford and the guy is a legend here. That stunt in the car park wi the can of beer will forever live in the memory.

Had him on to score that night , can’t remember the odds but seem to think they were pretty healthy.
a great Rangers player.
Yep, he was more than just a wee ankle biter , great for us andwas our supporters bus player of the year back in 93. He turned up to the party and he was brilliant

For me that man grafted harder than any other player I have ever seen. He chased and harried for fun, and when he got it back, he could play a pass. A proper team player, who would play anywhere he was asked to, and give his all.
He had something we miss at the moment,imo, and that is the desire to battle from the first kick, then play when the heat had died down.

Loved him. Utterly tenacious.

I had been down at Inverclyde on some SFA thing not long after he signed for Rangers. When we were coming home we got caught in traffic and we pulled up next to an Audi. It was Stuart McCall. We obviously got pretty excited and he just laughed and stuck his tongue out at us. Seems so innocent now but it really made the day of the three of us!

Loved him.
Tenacious - dictionary definition should read: Stuart McCall

Reactions: TQ3
Loved the wee man. Tims dreaded him every bit as Gazza and Laudrup as he was the type of player you couldn't stop unless you had top class players able to bypass him.

Can imagine he would have been , a particular favourite of mine at the time but underrated by many.
still think with a bit more support he could have done a decent job as manager

It's all ifs and but tbh.

I kind of agree, but then again I really enjoyed the first season under Warburton.

For an English man was a real good Scotsman.

His late mum Jeannie and Dad Andy were the biggest Scots you were likely to meet. Yes, they brought their family up in Yorkshire but were certainly not plastic, Stuart was Scottish just like my kids.

This just reminds me how amazing we were in the 90s. Players like him were the glue that held held the flair players to the team. Really talented footballer, hard as nails, looked terrible in those Bermuda inspired shorts that were all the rage. You had total respect for certain players back then. Miss that these days.

My favourite Rangers player, I know we had Laudrup, Gascogne, Hately, McCoist, Walters etc etc in that era, but he never hid, never gave up and worked tirelessly for our cause., albeit a work in progress at holding a full beer on car body !

That's the thing... he complemented these type of players and brought balance. His role and the work he carried out, was key. You need balance in a successful team. Someone battling in the trenches. That was McCall... and as others have mentioned, he knew what Rangers FC and the Union meant.

Back