Stuart Pearce (Rangers related)

BlueBritain55

I've been listening to his interview on the Joe Cole podcast. They speak about his love for Forest and Joe asks him if he would have ever left them earlier than he did in his career and if anyone came in for him. Pearce says the two big ones were us and Manchester United.

I can't remember Pearce ever coming up in conversation about us trying to sign him. Anybody know if we ever made an offer or did it not get off the ground due to Pearce wanting to stay at Forest??

I'd have enjoyed watching him smashing people up here (born in 85' so might have been too young to remember anyway).

I've been listening to his interview on the Joe Cole podcast. They speak about his love for Forest and Joe asks him if he would have ever left them earlier than he did in his career and if anyone came in for him. Pearce says the two big ones were us and Manchester United.

I can't remember Pearce ever coming up in conversation about us trying to sign him. Anybody know if we ever made an offer or did it not get off the ground due to Pearce wanting to stay at Forest??

I'd have enjoyed watching him smashing people up here (born in 85' so might have been too young to remember anyway).
There was a lot of "noise" around Pearce potentially signing when Souness was manager.
Whether factual or otherwise is anybody's guess.

Must have been an age thing that I couldn't remember then :))

Decent of Psycho to speak of us in the same context as Manchester United. I'm sure there would have been a few big Clubs looking at him at the time.

Best LB I ever saw in a Rangers Jersey, if only for a testimonial.

Souness tells a story that he went down to see Clough about signing Pearce and agreed a deal. Souness told Murray it was done, but when the Forest board spoke to Clough he had no recollection of agreeing anything with Souness. Some signing he wouldve been

I mind him playing and scoring for a Derby County XI against our 9 in a row select side at Ted McMinns benefit match.

Not sure the Forest fans would have liked to have seen him in a Derby County strip mind you.

At that time we had nearly half the England team so entirely possible . Souness was always linked with the QPR full back, think he was called Steve Dennis that was a bit iof a loose cannon.

Pearce was a fantastic player and would have been brilliant for us, pretty sure Davie Robertson said he tried to base his game on the way Pearce played

Everytime I hear I anecdote about Stuart peace I like him even more. The guy is British through and through, loves rugby league (the greatest sport there is), is proud of his heritage and has a soft spot for Rangers, what more do you want?

I'm sure it was him managing man city and he waived the clause in his contract that would see him receive a pay off for being sacked i.e. the rest of your contract being paid up. In the case of a manager, a few million quid. His reason, why should I be paid for being sacked, as I'm not doing a good enough job

Souness was always after a left back.

Chris Vinnicombe, Jan Bartram, Tom Cowan, speculation about Pearce, Dorigo...
Stuart Munro saw all of them off.

Souness tried and tried to get rid of the wee man:))

After the summer of 1989, when it was was heavily rumoured he was being replaced, Munro played in every single match and was arguably our POTY.

Brian Rice (ex Hamilton) said on a podcast he took Pearce to the Brox but in the wrong end for an Old Firm game (think we won 3-0 under Jock Wallace).

Said he snuck Pearce in, always assumed he was one of that mob though his patriotism would contradict that with hindsight tbf.

Everytime I hear I anecdote about Stuart peace I like him even more. The guy is British through and through, loves rugby league (the greatest sport there is), is proud of his heritage and has a soft spot for Rangers, what more do you want?

I'm sure it was him managing man city and he waived the clause in his contract that would see him receive a pay off for being sacked i.e. the rest of your contract being paid up. In the case of a manager, a few million quid. His reason, why should I be paid for being sacked, as I'm not doing a good enough job
Supports my team.

Oh Warry Warry :cool:

Souness tried to sign him, but he wanted to stay at Forest. Must have been about 88/89 - I remember the rumours
Pre Mo Johnston....IIRC, he would have taken a certain accolade that Johnston ending up being given.

I would have been too young to remember any speculation but my dad always says he is one player linked he really wanted. Would have been a hero here.

I remember a couple of years ago he was on talk sport and he was asked which football results would he look for after games and one of them was Rangers. Liked him ever since he said that.

At that time we had nearly half the England team so entirely possible . Souness was always linked with the QPR full back, think he was called Steve Dennis that was a bit iof a loose cannon.
We were linked with Derby’s Mark Wright around 1988. Remember meeting him and Ted McMinn in The Village in Shawlands before the 1988 League Cup Final.

Souness did eventually sign him in 1991 but for Liverpool.

Last edited:
I'm sure we were linked with him and Tony Dorigo when Souness was in charge.
I think we were, linked with Tony Dorigo and Stuart Pearce, though Souness ended up buying Chris Vinnicombe, from Exeter City, and Avi Cohen, neither of whom could seriously challenge Stuart Munro, who by all accounts did a fine job, but was no Stuart Pearce by any stretch of the imagination.

Met Stuart Pearce at a Simple minds gig at Wembley Graffiti soul tour. Absolute gentleman who took the time to chat with me.

Being born in 88 I obviously don't remember this, but from watching through decades of football growing up I can say Pearce was a cracking player.

His interview on the Quickly Kevin podcast is a good listen. Comes across as you’d expect , just a genuine bloke who loved playing football. I didn’t realise he was still working as an electrician in his first year or so at Forrest.

Must have been an age thing that I couldn't remember then :))

Decent of Psycho to speak of us in the same context as Manchester United. I'm sure there would have been a few big Clubs looking at him at the time.
Genuinely at that time there were very very few clubs as big as us.
Over the next 3-5 years the only thing that held its back was the 3 foreigners rule in Europe. Without that I’d have fully expected us to be European elite.

Back