Stuck on You - The Football Sticker Story: 2305 STV

Craig

This comes from the producer who made the terrific Get Shirty doc about Admiral football strips, and it’s just as enjoyable. We revisit the golden age of football stickers, launched by newsagent Giuseppe Panini from his kiosk in 1960s Modena.

It became a huge playground craze. Middle-aged men recall the swapping frenzy: one remembers exchanging a fully made Airfix model of the Graf Spee battleship for a single George Best sticker.

The early glue-in versions were hilariously bad (look out for Bobby Moncur with his face obscured by a ball) but it grew to be a multimillion-pound business – and, with Robert Maxwell’s involvement, a sad fable on bully-boy capitalism.

SUMMARY
How four Italian brothers took a childhood obsession and turned it into a worldwide multi-billion pound industry - and the British upstarts who took on the mighty Panini to beat them at their own game.

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fzdvgf/stuck-on-you-the-football-sticker-story/

Sounds good. Sadly in London we have some pish ‘100 years younger in 21 days.’

Council telly is absolutely gash.

s-l500.jpg

Did anybody ever manage to complete one of these albums? I always seemed to end up missing 5 or 6 and have loads of doubles left over that nobody wanted. I know you could send away for ones you were missing but it wasn’t really the done thing.

Did anybody ever manage to complete one of these albums? I always seemed to end up missing 5 or 6 and have loads of doubles left over that nobody wanted. I know you could send away for ones you were missing but it wasn’t really the done thing.
One I think. World Cup 1986. Completed it definitely, can’t remember about others.

I remember the old cards, you used to get a bit of chewing gum with it, got money for my birthday one year and spent it all on the cards. Walking about with about 20 pieces of gum in my mouth.

I completed 2 of the Esso coin thing for 1990 World Cup, Scotland and England in a folder. Cheated a bit, my Granda was night watchman in Esso garage.

Back