Studies underway to add more seats to Ibrox in 2022

Here's an option in my opinion
Build a 4000 seater extension to the rear of the Govan Rear ( a third tier)
Market it as an Executive seating area with access to all games played at Ibrox.
Make the space big enough below for any extra functions that the Club would require as well as being used for a Lounge on matchdays
Charge £2000 per season and sell 5-year Season Tickets, this would give us £40 million minus VAT
This could be financed in 2 separate ways.
1 We could raise a Mortgage on it to be repaid over 5 years or
We could organize a Funder, ie Bank or other Financial Institution to lend £10K to every individual who wants to pay a 5 year Personal Loan
Could use the same idea for 2000 seats

Wait a second. I have just realised
If this goes ahead, I’m row D, so I won’t be in MY seat anymore. Nah I don’t want this progressive move by the club. I’m shocked and outraged they would even consider doing this to me

In serious reply to my satire, if this went ahead, what would happen to me, would I move down to stay in row D, or would the rows be changed and I’d stay in my current seat albeit now higher?

This is madness .

Are we forgetting the club deck ?

If we lower the pitch ANY further, never mind by 10 metres , the club deck won’t be able to see the near side touchline at all .

Is it just me who remembers this ? I assume it hasn’t changed any ?
Pitch would be moved further towards the Govan stand presumably ?

I was under the impression we could do this due to the water table but suppose that’s the point of the study

I’ve posted this before, back in the 50/60/70s Ibrox was terrible both for playing surface and games postponed. As for nowadays if we did lower the pitch, there would have to be a super, pumping system of flood waters due to heavy rain. What springs to mind is what they have done with the Raith Underpass, with pumps, that is the only way I could see them going down, to create more seating.

This is madness .

Are we forgetting the club deck ?

If we lower the pitch ANY further, never mind by 10 metres , the club deck won’t be able to see the near side touchline at all .

Is it just me who remembers this ? I assume it hasn’t changed any ?
That will be what comes back from the studys, even though its already known.

“PR”

I find it bizarre when folk pour cold water over expansion plans with the reason being demand isn’t there.

Demand is there, Ibrox is bursting at the seams!
It confuses me as well. Must be glass half empty’s. We haven’t won a big trophy since 2011 and it’s sold out regularly. We will fill no bother.

I thought I had read way way back that the pitch was as low as it could be due to the water table. (Unless they work it so they manage to pump excess water away when the table rises, but I’d imagine this would be a large ongoing cost.)
Corner filling is the best bet you’d have to imagine

I’d argue that the Copland is the obvious stand for major redevelopment . There’s plenty of space around it and if Edmiston house is demolished then we can really do something special , if finances allow . A major increase in capacity , Bar72 type facilities , executive boxes , office space , proper ticket office , museum .

I’d prefer that approach rather than the bitty approach .

the govan is severely restricted by space .

Getting the income for us is a must and it would stand us well into the future. Tv money is never going to be an option, we need to do it ourselves. There are lots of good options being stated in this thread, I’m hoping one of them happens.

Would love to know how they're planning on supporting that huge black beam on the roofs if they taken the end columns away.
I'm sure I read somewhere previously when this was brought up, that big towers at each end of the Govan Stand, similar to what were built at the San Siro when it was upgraded, would be required. Costs I guess would be huge but maybe an opportunity to incorporate a hotel/other facilities into any structure. Certainly looks to be plenty space outside each corner for building out. Don't know if future city planning for regeneration/development in Govan/South Side is planned for this area but that would be something that might attract investment.

So there would be about 750 conventional seats in every row added to the front of the stands.
6000 extra seats would require another 8 new rows of seating with around 18 inches of drop to the pitch needed per row added. Which would mean a 12 ft (roughly) drop of the pitch would be needed to accommodate 8 new rows.

I think the sightlines from the club deck and Govan rear will limit how low the pitch can go so not convinced that 8 new rows will be possible.

Getting planning permission without also investing in expanded parking and possibly public transport would also be an issue. All very, very costly I'd imagine.

Here come all the civil engineers to tell us it can’t happen due to the “water table”

Because things like the subway are above the water table right?

That's a wee bit of a daft comparison mate. We're not talking about constructing a tunnel, unless you genuinely think we should lower the pitch and then encase it in steel or concrete to stop the water getting in?

I’d argue that the Copland is the obvious stand for major redevelopment . There’s plenty of space around it and if Edmiston house is demolished then we can really do something special , if finances allow . A major increase in capacity , Bar72 type facilities , executive boxes , office space , proper ticket office , museum .

I’d prefer that approach rather than the bitty approach .

the govan is severely restricted by space .
Cracking idea
Bring it all under one roof in that stand

I'm sure I read somewhere previously when this was brought up, that big towers at each end of the Govan Stand, similar to what were built at the San Siro when it was upgraded, would be required. Costs I guess would be huge but maybe an opportunity to incorporate a hotel/other facilities into any structure. Certainly looks to be plenty space outside each corner for building out. Don't know if future city planning for regeneration/development in Govan/South Side is planned for this area but that would be something that might attract investment.

Was quite possibly me. I've mentioned that on here a few times.

Doing what is in that picture requires (almost) entirely new roof structures

David Murray really made a mess of it when he opted for screens instead of seats when building the corners.
For a captain of industry he really was a dick.
Back in the day I was sure it was stated that the infrastructure was built behind the screens to support the installation of seats if the demand was there????
Obviously more of Murray's moonbeam propaganda!

6000 seats is pie in the sky id think. The depth we would need to dig down and the money we would need to spend would be insane

Reactions: VGM
I'd argue that ensuring our facilities for disabled supporters are to the highest possible standard is more of a priority.

I think the Board are aware that our facilities for our disabled fellow fans are needing drastic improvements. I would hope it is high on their agenda to sort the current situation out.

I would agree that this needs sorted as a priority over many other things

Haven’t looked through the full thread so apologies if it’s been posted, but I’ve seen similar plans that explore the possibility of removing the boxes at the back of the Govan and putting 4 rows of seats in their place.

Does anyone happen to know our official capacity? SPFL have it as 50,816. I thought it was slightly higher than that but not all of it is useable ( far corners of the enclosures obviously have an extremely restricted view).

I was on the tour at Christmas and Lawrence said he was speaking to Hateley and it was a goer and will be happening!

Would the shower of muppets at the Glasgow city council give the club planning permission? Another 6000 seats = more cash for our club they already hate!! Remember the fan zone farce with those bastards. :mad::mad:

I remember this being investigated quite some time ago & it wasn't just the water table that was an issue - but also the decreased amount of sunlight being insufficient to sustain the natural growth of grass at a lower level

So if a new feasability study can overcome these problems great ! - but I'm struggling to think what might have changed ?

I suppose technology may have advanced & more modern methods / options may be available?

But whatever is involved I sincerely hope we never, ever consider an artificial pitch

I would love an increase but I don't know if 6000 would be required in all honesty and is it going to cost a fortune is it something the club can afford
Gave my season ticket up few seasons ago. Now my circumstances have changed and im in the waiting list. So yes i think more seats is a good idea. Im sure there are more bears in my position. Would agree

I would love an increase but I don't know if 6000 would be required in all honesty and is it going to cost a fortune is it something the club can afford
Rangers are thriving. These studies are underway because demand for seats is there, and financially, increasing capacity is in scope.

I remember this being investigated quite some time ago & it wasn't just the water table that was an issue - but also the decreased amount of sunlight being insufficient to sustain the natural growth of grass at a lower level

So if a new feasability study can overcome these problems great ! - but I'm struggling to think what might have changed ?

I suppose technology may have advanced & more modern methods / options may be available?

But whatever is involved I sincerely hope we never, ever consider an artificial pitch
I think it's safe to say a plastic pitch's chances of being installed in Ibrox are zero!
I'm certain LED lights are used now to boost pitch maintenance. They should overcome previous difficulties with a lack of sunlight.

Haven’t looked through the full thread so apologies if it’s been posted, but I’ve seen similar plans that explore the possibility of removing the boxes at the back of the Govan and putting 4 rows of seats in their place.
Would be a better use of the space.Could have the back row padded seats for hospitality using the argyle house like front row in Club deck.

How long would it take to dig the pitch down that long and relay it?
Would it need a season away from Ibrox?

With today's available technology and the preponderance of mobile phones and tablets, and on demand replay system would be huge.

I work in IT and the company I used to work for was looking at reselling this wifi technology which was being used at the Durham Bulls minor league baseball stadium. They had just such a system in place. Very high quality wifi to serve all the attendees and a replay on demand system in place.

Haven't kept up with it because that company decided not to bring the product on board but it was in use there at the time. You'd think it would propagate out to larger leagues and stadiums here but I think the money is there for huge screens so maybe not. I'll see if I can't track down a link.
Can't find the actual vendor yet but, as much as I hate the Patriots, this is an example of what I'm talking about.

Patriot's wifi

This doesn't discuss a replay system that I referenced but the general benefits and setup. It also discusses how you can monetize the system so it gets paid for by its use. No huge outlay for big screen technology with no payback other than customer satisfaction and the negative of space that could be used for seating used, such as the present screens.

I was talking to coffee shops and restaurants about the monetizing their wifi at the time. The system would allow customers to opt in to use wifi by using social media accounts if they had them but it would register the device ID so you would only have to register once. You could have varying levels of usage; a basic one that was free, then a more advanced one that was faster and provided the replay system.

Would be great to have Ibrox setup like this and be a leader in the technology!

We had a few concerts at Ibrox and were very successful, believe it was he groundsman that complained about it wrecking the turf
Bon Jovi twice ,Rod Stewart and Elton John.Grand total of 4 concerts.Sort of proves my point.He decided those screens could be more of a money maker than the seats on original plan that would've put us at 59k from memory.He was completely wrong as he was on so many things.Builds it to original plan we would've been done as far as additional seats for the lifetime of the stadium.

Back