Subway Smartcards

When you go to buy a return, just simply ask for your bus pass to be topped up
say 4 return journeys =£6.00. You put your pass face up on the terminal just outside the kiosk and is an electronic transfer, saves you hanging around, just tap your card where you would with a ticket and it opens the barrier.
what i didnt like about getting the bus pass was the amount of information it asked for .

scans of
Drivers licence both sides or passport
Biometric picture
passport picture
Proof of address which had to in the form of a document not like junk mail.

proof of address and passport picture i understand but the rest sounds like collection for a Data base

Got subway yesterday for first time in a couple of years as the buses are taking longer this season to get back into town

What Glasgow needs is an integrated daily travel card system which combines bus/train/underground

Appreciate it has a zonecard but think this is only only for weekly or longer passes
They have, it’s called a day tripper ticket that looks like a scratch card you simply scratch off day month and year you are travelling.
One adult ticket gets 2 kids travelling for free
2 adult ticket gets 4 kids travelling for free
You can use on bus, train and underground all day including multiple journeys up to midnight last one I bought cost £21 for the 2 adult 4 kids one -

Can be bought from train and bus stations and covers all travel within the old Strathclyde region covering Ayrshire, Glasgow, Motherwell from 9am till midnight

Last edited:
They have, it’s called a day tripper ticket that looks like a scratch card you simply scratch off day month and year you are travelling.
One adult ticket gets 2 kids travelling for free
2 adult ticket gets 4 kids travelling for free
You can use on bus, train and underground all day including multiple journeys up to midnight last one I bought cost £21 for the 2 adult 4 kids one -

Can be bought from train and bus stations and covers all travel within the old Strathclyde region covering Ayrshire, Glasgow, Motherwell from 9am till midnight
Thanks for this.I’ll look into it

So do you top u enough funds to cover your journey then it deducts when you scan it at turnstile? Or do you have to ‘buy’ the ticket online before you travel using those funds?
Top up the cars at the station use until done top up again sorted

Driving this season has been brutal.
Parking and getting away are worse than ever.
Yesterday,where we usually park,we squeezed into the last space at 1.40pm,not that long ago at the same time you got your pick of the spaces.
We got home at 6.20pm where normal time over previous season was 5.45pm.
Midweek games are even worse.
More people taking cars because of covid. Also the albion car park situation is a mess too. They have stopped selling seasonal passes so I know a lot of people are just finding alternative places to park rather than fighting traffic to get there, only to be told permit holders only.

Unbelievable that you still can't just use a bank card at the barrier instead of needing a smart card.

You can just use a bank card on a lot of rail systems these days, you have been able to do it on the London underground for years, don't need an oyster card anymore.

The best system is the one the have on the underground in Copenhagen, there are no ticket barriers whatsoever, people just freely walk through the stations on and off trains. But it works there because there are ticket inspectors walking around who will get an £80 for not having a ticket.

Only when it suits the staff mate. I do this for every home game and at Partick station it’s an absolute lottery whether you stand in one queue and get Scotrail and underground ticket at same window at same time. Or you get the train ticket and either find an SPT employee with a bundle of underground tickets. Or you get sent outside to queue for the underground ticket- which you pick up at the window two feet from where you bought the first ticket. It is a shambles most weeks. On a Sunday it’s even worse

How is it a lottery? Subway queue is out the door, scotrail window usually quiet. 2 seperate companies that share a ticket office, its really not that difficult to figure out.

SShhhhh don't wake Glasgow Corporation up.

Roughly 5 million in Scotland, to 13 million in London, its not a Glasgow thing. Its Transport Scotland, we should be able to go anywhere in Scotland with integrated tickets, either pre loaded with value (or contactless payment that caps a daily/weekly fare) or specific ticket type loaded on a smart card.

How on earth does anyone who uses the subway to go to games not know this? Has nobody ever wondered why some folk get to walk straight on without getting a ticket?
True. It’s also cheaper fares using the card too than just buying a return.

How on earth does anyone who uses the subway to go to games not know this? Has nobody ever wondered why some folk get to walk straight on without getting a ticket?
Most of the folk you mention will have bought their tickets earlier in the day and went for a swally.

How is it a lottery? Subway queue is out the door, scotrail window usually quiet. 2 seperate companies that share a ticket office, its really not that difficult to figure out.

Roughly 5 million in Scotland, to 13 million in London, its not a Glasgow thing. Its Transport Scotland, we should be able to go anywhere in Scotland with integrated tickets, either pre loaded with value (or contactless payment that caps a daily/weekly fare) or specific ticket type loaded on a smart card.
One week the guy at the Scotrail window has a pile of subway tickets, so both can be picked up at same time. Next game, staff member will say they don’t have subway tickets so need to join that queue for that particular ticket. Then sometimes you have SPT employee walking about handing out underground tickets to roundabout ticket holders. Perhaps not a lottery , more a game of chance - and hoping that there’s a chance that staff with common sense are on duty

Just thought maybe they had bought tickets before or had weekly tickets from using them during the week. Being from London and using my bank card I hadn't even thought about it. Read this thread and applied for the free photo card as it will save me some queue time when I'm up for games.

I live in Aberdeen. Had a card since 2017. Top up online every month or so. When I walked down into the subway on Sat about 12:00 noon at Buchanan Street there was a huge queue to buy tickets. As many have shared, I walked straight through and on to the inner circle platform. The digital display flashes up your remaining credit when you pass through the barrier.

Only when it suits the staff mate. I do this for every home game and at Partick station it’s an absolute lottery whether you stand in one queue and get Scotrail and underground ticket at same window at same time. Or you get the train ticket and either find an SPT employee with a bundle of underground tickets. Or you get sent outside to queue for the underground ticket- which you pick up at the window two feet from where you bought the first ticket. It is a shambles most weeks. On a Sunday it’s even worse
Never had any problems getting a roundabout ticket at either Buchanan St or St Enoch , on matchdays there's always at least one member of staff whose job it is to hand them out .

Edinburgh buses you just tap any bank card when you get on, I use Apple Pay on my phone.
You get the impression SPT don’t do this as it’s likely to do someone out of a job :rolleyes:

Its 5.20 for a return from Cumbernauld excluding the Underground, its 7.40 for a roundabout . All day on the subway for 2.20 is pretty decent imho.
last time i used the train/subway from shettleston to Ibrox it was about the same and seven quid for the roundabout one.

sundays there is never anyone working in the station that was one of the reasons i started using car and getting on the subway.

just noticed ticket price is 3.30 return, yet 1.55 single. may as well get two singles

just noticed ticket price is 3.30 return, yet 1.55 single. may as well get two singles
A roundabout ticket is unlimited travel all day on both the train and subway.

We always make a day of it if we have a Saturday game , go to Partick and then up Byres Rd ,means you can jump on and off where you want.

A roundabout ticket is unlimited travel all day on both the train and subway.

We always make a day of it if we have a Saturday game , go to Partick and then up Byres Rd ,means you can jump on and off where you want.
was looking at from that point for those that use it worth it, in my case its there and back and after sunday with all trains being cancelled due to boy being murdered, it was a long wet walk home.

from now on its car and subway and when the subway starts its nonsense its car to paisley road and walk in from the District bar about one mile

Back