Subway Smartcards

Aragorn

Descended into the depths of the subway at Buchanan Street around 13.40, walked by a line of punters waiting to buy tickets almost stretching to the entrance, with, as usual only two ticket office staff selling them.

Not sure if a lot of fans are aware but it is worth getting a Subway smartcard...They cost £3, load some money onto them and queuing will become nothing but a distant memory.

My top tip for matchdays.

I’ve had one for a couple of years now and it definitely saves time.
I would like to think that SPT could mimic the underground in London and let passengers use their bank card or device for contactless payments.
That would be beneficial for most supporters.

Descended into the depths of the subway at Buchanan Street around 13.40, walked by a line of punters waiting to buy tickets almost stretching to the entrance, with, as usual only two ticket office staff selling them.

Not sure if a lot of fans are aware but it is worth getting a Subway smartcard...They cost £3, load some money onto them and queuing will become nothing but a distant memory.

Can you buy them from the ticket office? Last time I looked at it a few years ago you had to order online and get it sent to you.

Can people from outside Glasgow buy them, I got to Buchanan Street at 2.10pm and the queue was outside, also can you get them for kids as you can’t buy child ones from the machines so have to queue at the kiosks?

Great tip, never knew they had such a thing.

They are ideal. Was even better when you could buy a train ticket from your local station to Ibrox including Subway. Why did this change ?

Used to buy a train ticket from Edinburgh with the end stop ‘ Glasgow stations’ which included the underground. For some reason they changed this so now need to get a separate ticket

So do you top u enough funds to cover your journey then it deducts when you scan it at turnstile? Or do you have to ‘buy’ the ticket online before you travel using those funds?

Where do you fucking get them mate and where/how do you fucking load money onto them?

Edit: thanks very much for the tip!

They are ideal. Was even better when you could buy a train ticket from your local station to Ibrox including Subway. Why did this change ?
Still get them , called a roundabout ticket , when you go into subway station there's an employee standing with all day tickets, gives you one when you show your rail ticket.

Wish we were like Germany where your match ticket entitles you travel to the game on public transport for free.

Match day traffic probably makes up a couple of percentage points of the Subways total annual revenue. Which would be significant considering there is only an event on at Ibrox every 2 weeks on average through out the year.

On a separate note, came in to say what @ironicone said. Get it like London and accept contactless at the barrier. Glasgow always seems slow to adapt.

Mines is defending corners on 90 minutes

You can also load money on to your pensioner bus pass at the underground to be used in the same way

So do you top u enough funds to cover your journey then it deducts when you scan it at turnstile? Or do you have to ‘buy’ the ticket online before you travel using those funds?
You add funds to the card and it automatically takes it off when you scan it.

Can people from outside Glasgow buy them, I got to Buchanan Street at 2.10pm and the queue was outside, also can you get them for kids as you can’t buy child ones from the machines so have to queue at the kiosks?
I have one and I stay up north put £10 on it over a year ago not sure if they have changed it somewhat since but my has my photo on it which I find no reason for?

You can also load money on to your pensioner bus pass at the underground to be used in the same way

Never knew that thanks.

i was one of those punters and after yesterday i will stick to using the car to get over to my usual subway.

not been using trains for years due to everything thats wrong with the service, but yesterday as it was saturday i thought i would.

Ticket office closed which means no subway ticket as part as my rail ticket, no machine working at station and no conductor on train. Queenstreet station stands in Que at platform five, asked for same ticket and they try and charge two quid more than i would have paid if ticket office had been open, this is also the charge from conductor on train. I made the game just as we were kicking off.

Game finishes and it back on subway, only to find all trains cancelled due to boy getting stabbed.
long walk back to budhill and soaked into the bargain, only nus i saw was a 41 and thats when i was at Todd street

Thats the service wee patsy wants us to use, if that wee prick used them like he thinks we should he would soon buy a car.

i was one of those punters and after yesterday i will stick to using the car to get over to my usual subway.

not been using trains for years due to everything thats wrong with the service, but yesterday as it was saturday i thought i would.

Ticket office closed which means no subway ticket as part as my rail ticket, no machine working at station and no conductor on train. Queenstreet station stands in Que at platform five, asked for same ticket and they try and charge two quid more than i would have paid if ticket office had been open, this is also the charge from conductor on train. I made the game just as we were kicking off.

Game finishes and it back on subway, only to find all trains cancelled due to boy getting stabbed.
long walk back to budhill and soaked into the bargain, only nus i saw was a 41 and thats when i was at Todd street

Thats the service wee patsy wants us to use, if that wee prick used them like he thinks we should he would soon buy a car.
I’ve not been on a train since we played Motherwell at Hampden in Oct 2017. It was a weird kick off time 14:30 so the game was finished by about 16:15. I never got back in the house until 19:45 that night. 3 and a half hours between the queues and the infrequent train service.

Now if I am going to Hampden I park the car a 20 minutes walk up the road,and then its a 25 min car journey.

Got subway yesterday for first time in a couple of years as the buses are taking longer this season to get back into town

What Glasgow needs is an integrated daily travel card system which combines bus/train/underground

Appreciate it has a zonecard but think this is only only for weekly or longer passes

Last edited:

For us oldies load up onto the Bus Pass, however not all the terminals are working at the gates.

Driving this season has been brutal.
Parking and getting away are worse than ever.
Yesterday,where we usually park,we squeezed into the last space at 1.40pm,not that long ago at the same time you got your pick of the spaces.
We got home at 6.20pm where normal time over previous season was 5.45pm.
Midweek games are even worse.

I have one and I stay up north put £10 on it over a year ago not sure if they have changed it somewhat since but my has my photo on it which I find no reason for?
The smart card with a photo on it has been ordered online. The benefit of that is if you were to lose the card it would be replaced, with any remaining balance, free of charge. The card is also supplied free of charge.
Cards without photos are purchased for £3 from the booking office window or the ticket machines, no replacement if lost, you would have to buy another card.

Been going on the underground for decades and it’s the first I’ve heard of this :)
Cheers mate ordered.

I’ve had one for a couple of years now and it definitely saves time.
I would like to think that SPT could mimic the underground in London and let passengers use their bank card or device for contactless payments.
That would be beneficial for most supporters.
SShhhhh don't wake Glasgow Corporation up.

Still get them , called a roundabout ticket , when you go into subway station there's an employee standing with all day tickets, gives you one when you show your rail ticket.
Only when it suits the staff mate. I do this for every home game and at Partick station it’s an absolute lottery whether you stand in one queue and get Scotrail and underground ticket at same window at same time. Or you get the train ticket and either find an SPT employee with a bundle of underground tickets. Or you get sent outside to queue for the underground ticket- which you pick up at the window two feet from where you bought the first ticket. It is a shambles most weeks. On a Sunday it’s even worse

How on earth does anyone who uses the subway to go to games not know this? Has nobody ever wondered why some folk get to walk straight on without getting a ticket?

I can't get the form to accept my date of birth - I think I remember this happening the last time I tried too

How on earth does anyone who uses the subway to go to games not know this? Has nobody ever wondered why some folk get to walk straight on without getting a ticket?
Or seen the posters in the station’s advertising these tickets .

Never paid any attention to how anyone pays for a ticket.
I buy one then go to auctioneers.

Driving this season has been brutal.
Parking and getting away are worse than ever.
Yesterday,where we usually park,we squeezed into the last space at 1.40pm,not that long ago at the same time you got your pick of the spaces.
We got home at 6.20pm where normal time over previous season was 5.45pm.
Midweek games are even worse.
mid week is a joke when GCC deliberately close the M8 or the tunnel, bad enough the now with the bridge being fixed for next three years
works for me if boarding station desk is open, part of train ticket

cost two quid more than getting it at the station desk your leaving from

Thanks mate. Will it deduct a single fare than as opposed to a return, or automatically go for cheapest ticket?
Yes, It’ll deduct a single fare if you make one trip, if you make more than one then it automatically charges you the £3 all day rate which is the cheapest rate and you dont pay anything for other trips that day.

how does this work
When you go to buy a return, just simply ask for your bus pass to be topped up
say 4 return journeys =£6.00. You put your pass face up on the terminal just outside the kiosk and is an electronic transfer, saves you hanging around, just tap your card where you would with a ticket and it opens the barrier.

Back