Succesful season

Do you consider this a successful season

• Yes

Votes: 1,076 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 253 19.0%

• Total voters
Eh not really, unless we win, if you were offered a series of European finals but a defeat in all of them plus we’ll lose the league too don’t think many would accept that
Not really?

I’d take our season over Celtics every day of the week.

So you’d take a European runner up medal plus league runner up every season if you were given the choice?
It’s never going to be every season, that’s just stupid.

However for me reaching an elite European final after playing 19 matches , while they got flung about like a wet trackie and papped out of three European competitions in shame, it’s no contest.

We’ve had a successful season.

However for me reaching an elite European final after playing 19 matches , while they got flung about like a wet trackie and papped out of three European competitions in shame, it’s no contest.

Let’s just agree to disagree on your last sentence

In your opinion we've had a successful season. I don't. So be it.

We can argue the toss all day and neither of us will change the other's mind.

That's football.

However, just remember you've opted for them getting a guaranteed pot of gold and automatic entry into the CL proper. Something we're going to have to shed blood, sweat and tears to attain. Best if we avoid Malmo, eh?

In your opinion we've had a successful season. I don't. So be it.

We can argue the toss all day and neither of us will change the other's mind.

That's football.

However, just remember you've opted for them getting a guaranteed pot of gold and automatic entry into the CL proper. Something we're going to have to shed blood, sweat and tears to attain. Best if we avoid Malmo, eh?
We’ve won 55 league titles.

We’ve reached 5 European finals.

We will agree to disagree boss. Fair enough.

One of my favourite seasons, especially as my son came to an age where he could join me and we have has some really special nights.

Very successful season for Gio personally, given the pressure and decline that had set into squad, he done well to gain silverware and earn a run to the final of EL that will never be forgotten.

Events of the last week are still very raw but for me the success of this season hinged on the result on Wednesday night, certainly one of the most memorable seasons we've had with some incredible moments along the way, but we fell just short sadly. Ultimately the Champions League Carrot was the biggest thing hanging over this season though and failure to grab that (I know there is still a chance through the qualifers) and gift wrap that to our biggest rivals is tough to take and could prove damaging. Full Trust and support in GVB and his team to get it right this summer and hopefully map out another memorable season that can also be looked back on and defined as truly successful by us all.

I’m inclined to say No. No league title and only 1 cup wasn’t good enough 15 years ago, why is it now? We got to Europa league final but we didn’t win it. The definition of success in football is to win things.

We were on the brink of an extremely successful season. It was memorable, but was it really successful?

Of course it has. Ok we fucked up the league but we learned from the causes of that, finished the season strongly and won’t make the same mistakes again.

I voted no.

1 domestic cup from 2 available is ok

losing the league from the position we were in was poor

the run to the EL final has made its a successful year off the pitch which is great but losing the final takes too much of the shine of the season as a whole for me.

If the numbers are correct and by the time it’s all added up and we’ve made £30m from Europe, £11m from Patterson and £4m from Gerrard and Co leaving then we’ve no reason not to spent £20-30m this summer by the time we take in roughly the same in transfer fees.

We simply must have signings in early and be prepared for the CL qualifiers.

Ask any member of our squad and staff what the expectations are every season?

I bet it is to win the league. It always will be at Rangers.

Of course it is not possible every season but that doesn’t alter the fact that the expectation is to win the league.

Individual mistakes cost us the league this year. Motherwell twice, Ross County, Dundee Utd.
And Hearts at home.

As you well know winning in Seville would have trumped the lot.

However, we didn't.

As of the regulation full time yesterday. I.E ninety minutes of the SC final played. We had competed in five competitions. We had lost in the previous four tournaments (two in Europe and two at home) and had thirty minutes of normal football left to play in the fifth.

How any Rangers fan can class that as successful truly has taken happy-clapping to nonsensical levels. Happily the SC at last came back to Ibrox. A nice ending to the season but by no manner of means a succesful one.

As the saying goes; 'Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.' Something a good many on this thread would do well to take note of.

Second is nothing.
100% with you on that.

As you well know winning in Seville would have trumped the lot.

However, we didn't.

As of the regulation full time yesterday. I.E ninety minutes of the SC final played. We had competed in five competitions. We had lost in the previous four tournaments (two in Europe and two at home) and had thirty minutes of normal football left to play in the fifth.

How any Rangers fan can class that as successful truly has taken happy-clapping to nonsensical levels. Happily the SC at last came back to Ibrox. A nice ending to the season but by no manner of means a succesful one.

As the saying goes; 'Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.' Something a good many on this thread would do well to take note of.

Second is nothing.

Happy clappers in force on this thread.

I'm kinda torn.

We ridiculed them in 2003 for saying they had had a successful season. Obviously we have won the Scottish cup and they won nothing, but based on that, I'm not sure a Scottish cup alone turns a season from being unsusccessful to successful.

It's been a good season with some amazing memories, and I genuinely don't think I would swap our season for theirs, based on how infrequently European runs like this happen, but I'm not sure I would say it was overly successful.

I voted no.

the run to the EL final has made its a successful year off the pitch which is great but losing the final takes too much of the shine of the season as a whole for me.

If the numbers are correct and by the time it’s all added up and we’ve made £30m from Europe, £11m from Patterson and £4m from Gerrard and Co leaving then we’ve no reason not to spent £20-30m this summer by the time we take in roughly the same in transfer fees.

If the numbers are correct, then I would have thought that money, or a good chunk of it, would go to filling in the financial black hole we keep hearing about?

I simply don't have a clue where we are financially right now. Obviously I hope you're on the right track and not me.

I voted no.

With all that money in even if we sell no-one I’d be expecting Gio to get £10-15m in fees to spend. We will have a fair few to replace either completely or as first team regulars. If we sell any players for fees I’d be expecting him to get half of any sales to add to the above amount.

Fair possibility we are completely replacing McGregor and Goldson. Arfield has re-signed and Davis might but even if so neither will be first team regular starts. Helander, Jack and Roofe are all injury prone, particularly Helander. All of that requires new blood to replace/cover adequately for. That’s before we get to the possibility of any of Kamara, Bassey, Aribo, Kent or Morelos going, all of which are quite possible.

If the numbers are correct, then I would have thought that money, or a good chunk of it, would go to filling in the financial black hole we keep hearing about?

I simply don't have a clue where we are financially right now. Obviously I hope you're on the right track and not me.

we surely have to be looking at £20m coming to us in player trading this season, even only adding in £10m of the £45m potentially recouped this season then we can hopefully do both. Buy some quality and stabilise the business.

As tough as Wednesday night was to bear I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited for a game of football EVER.

That team gave me that feeling. A feeling of being in a European final and absolutely deserving to be there.

What a season. What a team.

With all that money in even if we sell no-one I’d be expecting Gio to get £10-15m in fees to spend. We will have a fair few to replace either completely or as first team regulars. If we sell any players for fees I’d be expecting him to get half of any sales to add to the above amount.

Fair possibility we are completely replacing McGregor and Goldson. Arfield has re-signed and Davis might but even if so neither will be first team regular starts. Helander, Jack and Roofe are all injury prone, particularly Helander. All of that requires new blood to replace/cover adequately for. That’s before we get to the possibility of any of Kamara, Bassey, Aribo, Kent or Morelos going, all of which are quite possible.

I don’t normally jump up and down moaning about what we spend. We’re a business and need to run as a correctly functioning business…. But I’ll be hugely disappointed if we’ve not spent £20m this summer.

We probably need to do that as a minimum if we want to keep seeing euro football after Christmas. We must be looking at around 500k euro ticket sales this season, if we want that to remain a consistent source of income then we need to keep the squad strong.

I don’t normally jump up and down moaning about what we spend. We’re a business and need to run as a correctly functioning business…. But I’ll be hugely disappointed if we’ve not spent £20m this summer.

We probably need to do that as a minimum if we want to keep seeing euro football after Christmas. We must be looking at around 500k euro ticket sales this season, if we want that to remain a consistent source of income then we need to keep the squad strong.
I agree we have to be sensible. But we can’t have budgeted for getting past the EL last 16 surely, or Patterson’s fee or Gerrard’s compensation? And our penny pinching in the summer probably cost us the CL qualification, with the poor transfer windows in January then likely costing us the league. I’d like to see us bring in a couple of good signings to improve the first XI before we worry about selling.

Domestically we were shafted !! Fixture debacle and Cinch refereeing. Lost a back room and manager….fcukn outstanding season for me !!!!

So you’d be happy with that Euro run every season, winning a Scottish diddy cup and losing the league?

Yeah, I didn’t think so.
All over the place TBH

So the Scottish Cup is “diddy” and Europe isn’t something people should be satisfied with?

The only thing left then is to simply win the league with no Euro run

been reading that a lot from some the last few days TBH. I mean not on here.

Yeah but the long run is quite significant here too because losing the league this season gives them a huge CL windfall that we may as of yet not be privy to. That could be massive in terms of dictating how the next few seasons pan out.

I’m not in agreement with the guy you’re quoting btw, I don’t see this season as a failure. I just don’t feel comfortable calling it a success either if we look at the season as a whole. I’m just surprised so many of our support are comfortable calling it a success after mocking them for their vice champions shite and the way they went on about Seville.
I never mocked them for Seville. It was always fair play to them for doing that and I was more than a little jealous at the time. Manchester 08 was also one of the best times of my life only topped by this year. Europe top trumps anything in this backwater country.

I'm kinda torn.

We ridiculed them in 2003 for saying they had had a successful season. Obviously we have won the Scottish cup and they won nothing, but based on that, I'm not sure a Scottish cup alone turns a season from being unsusccessful to successful.

It's been a good season with some amazing memories, and I genuinely don't think I would swap our season for theirs, based on how infrequently European runs like this happen, but I'm not sure I would say it was overly successful.
This is more or less my feelings. I'll remember this season for the rest of my life but gun to head, I don't think I can call it a success. Delighted to win the cup yesterday so we had something to show for an incredible effort across four competitions.

In my opinion we’ll get in the 80-85 million revenue range this year, a record revenue. But we have huge costs, last years expenditures were near 75 million and we had over 14 million in loans and lease agreements at the time of the financial report. I think we’ll be profitable this year but it won’t be much relatively and maybe it’s time to start paying back some of the loans.

I think whatever money we get from outgoings will be available to GVB for new players but I don’t see much more than that being available. Unless the directors want to gamble on getting into the groups and don’t see the squad being capable of doing that. Remember last season for example under the same scenario.

Last edited:
In my opinion we’ll get in the 80-85 million revenue range this year, a record revenue. But we have huge costs, last years expenditures were near 75 million and we had over 14 million in loans and lease agreements at the time of the financial report. I think we’ll be profitable this year but it won’t be much relatively and maybe it’s time to start servicing some of the loans.

I think whatever money we get from outgoings will be available to GVB for new players but I don’t see much more than that being available. Unless the directors want to gamble on getting into the groups and don’t see the squad being capable of doing that. Remember last season for example under the same scenario.
I completely agree. So many on here talk about a huge rebuilding and spending tens of millions. It’s just not going to happen! I’ll be surprised if we spend a combined total of over £10m, and to be honest I don’t believe we need to. One or two quality additions that can hit the ground running and new contracts for our best players and we win the league no problem.

Even if we lost it every year?

Financially, yeah I get it from that perspective, but trophies = success imo.
It’s a hard one. I’d swap you half a dozen leagues for the journey to Seville any day. Whether I could cope with the constant disappointment if we didn’t win it is a different story.

Not a successful season imo.
Losing the league to them is just a monumental riddy as far as I'm concerned.
The Europa League run to the final was memorable, and never will be forgotten. .
Remember the look on my son's face, after Aribo put us ahead in Sevilla. He turned to me and said, "Dad, we're gonna win this"!
We'll never have the same chance again.

Didn’t vote as no option for how I feel the season went.

Domestically, no. We threw away the league. We were dreadful in the league cup. Won the Scottish Cup.

European, yes. The goal was the group stages, then the knock out rounds. We made the final.

The last two months on the European stage have given us some of our best memories.

Back