Summer 23 leavers

WATP

So who do we think will be gone from the first team squad?

Morelos
Kamara sold
Barasic sold
Helander
Davis (coaching)
McGregor
McLauchlin
Arfield ??
Jack ??
Lundstram sold
Sands

Plus a number of the youngsters Mcpake Kennedy Mayo etc

I reckon we need 8/9! First team regulars in minimum.

I don't for 1 second expect all of them to be away. The ones out of contract yes but can only sell players if someone wants them. Also wouldn't be surprised if a few got extended

Releasing Arfield & Jack means we need to call up 2 youngsters or sign 2 homegrown replacements if we want to meet the 25 player quota for UEFA.

So if you want rid of either of them or Souttar or Wright, don't expect a replacement like Raskin. More the Kenny McLean level (who unfortunately did sign a new deal).

I’d keep Jack and Arfield as even though they’re on the field contributions would be limited to lose all our experienced guys in one go would have a big impact in the dressing room.

Lunstrum keep - think he can offer something as a squad/rotation option. Possibly McLaughlin as No2 as long as a proven No1 is brought in.

The rest thanks for the service but goodbye

Airfield
Morelos
McGregor
Barisic
Matondo
Davis
Helander
Roofe
Sands

I imagine 6/7 will come in but alot of these players won't be sold so we're not adding money to getreplacements.

Morelos
Kamara sold
Barasic sold
Helander
Davis (coaching)
McGregor
McLauchlin
Arfield ??
Jack ??
Lundstram sold
Sands

I think you are pretty accurate with most. I would expect Artfield to get a 1 yr contact and Jack a 2 yr contract. Lundstram to stay. That's about 8 first team squad plus a few young players as well. A big turnaround. We are in for a busy summer

As a player trading modelled club, I was thinking we need some income from player sales, hence Kamara and Lundstram. They have value and we signed them for either free or buttons, as does Barasic and with 1yr left we ideally need some interest in him. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we tried to recoup money on Davies if we do indeed want a new CH….again he has value to a championship level club alongside Lundstram

McGregor
Barasic
Helander
Sands
Kamara - will leave in the summer imo.

Davis and Arfield to be kept on in some capacity within the club - Kent Morelos n Jack to sign new deals.

Last edited:
No chance Lundstram goes.

Morelos is 100% away, Kent I’m not so sure about but at least he’s putting in the performances.

I mean it with no disrespect to this group of players who have given us so many good memories for an absolutely pittance in relative terms, but I’m really looking forward to the squad being overhauled.

Releasing Arfield & Jack means we need to call up 2 youngsters or sign 2 homegrown replacements if we want to meet the 25 player quota for UEFA.

So if you want rid of either of them or Souttar or Wright, don't expect a replacement like Raskin. More the Kenny McLean level (who unfortunately did sign a new deal).

If a homegrown player isn’t good enough then you might as well go without him in Europe. That stands for Arfield and Jack too (not saying they aren’t) but this notion that if we release them, we end up signing Lee Erwin and Andy Considine is mental.

If a homegrown player isn’t good enough then you might as well go without him in Europe. That stands for Arfield and Jack too (not saying they aren’t) but this notion that if we release them, we end up signing Lee Erwin and Andy Considine is mental.
I'm just saying that we got done in Europe due to a lack of depth last year. The last thing we need is to bring in player then not register them for Europe. Will not exactly be great for squad morale if someone like Matondo signs with the allure of European football, only to be casted out because we've signed too many non-HG players.

I get folk talking about experience staying, but at that, you venture into the sentimental stage of keeping someone when the cold hard facts suggest otherwise.

Guys like Tav, Davies and Goldson are experienced heads, Souttar when fit etc. So we do actually have a decent amount of experience under contract and staying.

The only reason for keeping some of the OOC ones on are, only my opinion, misty eyed ones and also for the homegrown quota. That’s not a reason good enough in my view to keep on players who hardly contribute, are injury prone or have the odd good few games in ten.

This club must embrace change and move forward.

I'm just saying that we got done in Europe due to a lack of depth last year. The last thing we need is to bring in player then not register them for Europe. Will not exactly be great for squad morale if someone like Matondo signs with the allure of European football, only to be casted out because we've signed too many non-HG players.

Sorry, wasn’t just responding to your comment, but more the topic in general. Arguably signing shite HG players doesn’t add any depth, it just adds more shite that doesn’t add domestically or in Europe, and on a much larger wage than a youth (when you wouldn’t want to play either anyway).

I get folk talking about experience staying, but at that, you venture into the sentimental stage of keeping someone when the cold hard facts suggest otherwise.

Guys like Tav, Davies and Goldson are experienced heads, Souttar when fit etc. So we do actually have a decent amount of experience under contract and staying.

The only reason for keeping some of the OOC ones on are, only my opinion, misty eyed ones and also for the homegrown quota. That’s not a reason good enough in my view to keep on players who hardly contribute, are injury prone or have the odd good few games in ten.

This club must embrace change and move forward.
I get what you are saying but tav, Goldson, and Davies while they are experienced (older) players they are not rangers men. Shagger, Arfield, Davis, these are our rangers men in the dressing room and I wouldn’t want them all walking away in one go.

All out of contract players will leave bar kent and jack, sands will leave, we’ll sign tillman. McLaughlin will also leave, mccrorie will be the back up gk. Barisic will see out the final year on his contract(pretty sure it’s up in 2024) with yilmaz being first choice next season. I would imagine we will try and sell roofe but highly unlikely that we can get anyone to take him. Matondo will go out on loan I reckon. Think we’ll listen to offers for Kamara as well.

Then I reckon Beale will bring in a gk, centre back, centre midfielder, striker and Whittaker from Swansea(or a similar kind of player).

I get what you are saying but tav, Goldson, and Davies while they are experienced (older) players they are not rangers men. Shagger, Arfield, Davis, these are our rangers men in the dressing room and I wouldn’t want them all walking away in one go.
Tav and Goldson have been here long enough to know what’s expected of a rangers player. Jack will most likely get an extension as well. Plus all the players you’ve listed are past their sell by date and not good enough for us.

Barisic won't be going. He has 1 year left in the summer. There isn't much value or point in selling Borna in the summer.

I suspect Barisic along with Roofe and McLaughlin will leave in summer 2024 at the end of their deals.

Going this summer I can see:
McGregor (retired)
One of Souttar or King (away on loan)
Helander (end of contract)
Davis (retired)
Sands (end of his loan)
Lowry (out on loan)
Matondo (out on loan)
Morelos (end of contract)

I hope we can keep Kent but have resigned myself a bit that he is leaving.

I think Jack and Arfield get new 1 year deals. Jack will be a decent back up, when fit but can't be considered a main man, due to injury issues. Arfield can't start games, but he is a good impact player with 20/30 minutes to play.

Unless we get decent offers, I don't see Kamara or Lundstram leaving. Beale is a massive Kamara fan and Kamara's form has taken an upturn since Beale came in. With Lundstram, I just don't see anyone offering the kind of money, that would tempt us into selling.

McGregor (New Gk)
Helander (New CB)
Davis
Sands
Morelos (New CF)
Arfield
Matondo (New RW)
Roofe (Project CF?)
Kamara

Around 9/10 out but 5 of those barely feature as it is, with maybe 5 in. Not including some youth players who we will probably look to move on

McGregor
Helander
Davis
Arfield
Sands
Kamara
Morelos

Don't think anybody else will go. Assuming we bring in 7 to replace them that would be 16 new players since they start of this season. I think thats overhaul enough.

Morelos
Kamara sold
Barasic sold
Helander
Davis (coaching)
McGregor
McLauchlin
Arfield ??
Jack ??
Lundstram sold
Sands

I don't think Lundstram, Jack or McLaughlin will leave in the summer.

I can see Kent signing a new deal but think Morelos will 100% be away.

Cantwell and Rasking being two first team starters makes me think Beale will only be targeting first team players and we are finally avoiding the squad filler approach.

As a minimum in the summer we need: New GK, New CM, RF and a ST.

Look at the players out of contract in the next 2 summers.

Allan McGregor - Leave

Filip Helander - Leave

Ryan Jack - New deal for HG purposes

Steven Davis - Leave unless there is a Reserve Player / Coach option

Ryan Kent - Hopefully signs a new deal

James Sands - Wouldn't extend his deal but would be surprised if WIlson renegotiates the fee

Alfredo Morelos - See Kent

Kieran Wright - New deal for HG purposes as 3rd Choice GK

Scott Arfield - New deal for HG purposes

Ross McCausland - New deal

Robbie Ure - New deal

Malik Tillman - Exercise purchase option

John Lundstram - Would sell for the correct offer

Kemar Roofe - Should sell but there would be no buyers, I am not sure we are in a position to release him from his contract.

Borna Barišić - Would sell for the correct offer

Jon McLaughlin - Should leave this summer and allow for a new goalkeeper with McCrorrie as number 2.

Players Under Contract Longer

The following will leave subject to the correct offer

Kamara, Matondo, Sakala, Hagi

Morelos is 100% away, Kent I’m not so sure about but at least he’s putting in the performances.

I mean it with no disrespect to this group of players who have given us so many good memories for an absolutely pittance in relative terms, but I’m really looking forward to the squad being overhauled.

100% is a leap

Airfield
Morelos
McGregor
Barisic
Matondo
Davis
Helander
Roofe
Sands

I imagine 6/7 will come in but alot of these players won't be sold so we're not adding money to getreplacements.

I’d add McLaughlin to this list. I just don’t see him ever being a Rangers number one.

As you say, very little cash coming in here, maybe 2-4m maximum, so we need to be very thrifty on the OOC Market.

One way around it is to replace 9/10 with 6/7 and the salary savings will contribute to the fees ?

I don't for 1 second expect all of them to be away. The ones out of contract yes but can only sell players if someone wants them. Also wouldn't be surprised if a few got extended

Aye, out of contract players yes, but our squad has done f*ck all to have bids put in for them.

Aye, out of contract players yes, but our squad has done f*ck all to have bids put in for them.
Correct. The players on good wages will see out their contracts and accept their good money even if it means no game time.nobody has shown Interest in the fringe players and if anyone did if its less money than they are on here they wouldn't just leave.

I think the situation with players out of contract needs to get resolved before dealing with moving on any fringe players or sales.

McGregor
Helander
Sands
Jack
Davis
Arfield
Tillman
Kent
Morelos

None of them are contracted beyond the summer. Raskin and Cantwell are presumably already in as replacements for Davis and Arfield. I think we will try to keep Jack, Kent and Tillman.

So a keeper, centre-half and striker are priorities which is pretty much what Beale has already said.

That’s not how it works tho. Teams target players that can fit into tactics and systems. It’s not solely about what a squad done in any particular season.

If that was the case then we wouldn’t sign cantwell or raskin.

No matter what it looks like it's going to be a big turnover this summer. Hope we can get our business done early as the chances are we'll have European qualifiers to play and we can't afford much time for new players to bed in, even domestically.

McGregor
Barasic
Helander
Sands

Davis and Arfield to be kept on in some capacity within the club - Kent Morelos n Jack to sign new deals.
I don't think there's any chance Kent is signing a new deal. He'll likely go to a championship team on a 4yr contract for 50% odd wage increase plus signing on etc which we won't be able to match. Will the lure of the big games keep him? Don't think it works that way any more, nothing against Kent it's the modern footballer.

McGregor
Barasic
Helander
Sands

Morelos is not signing a new deal. How many times? The club and him are MILES AND MILES apart on what he wants.

He wants a raise, we have offered a performance based deal, him wanting a raise is an absolute cheek in my opinion.

Morelos
Kamara sold
Barasic sold
Helander
Davis (coaching)
McGregor
McLauchlin
Arfield ??
Jack ??
Lundstram sold
Sands

The only 3 definitely away out of that list will be Davis, McGregor, and Sands.

Might be time for Kamara to move on, think it would do him good. Kent may be thinking similar.

Lundstrum is still a valuable option for us when on his game, although might not fit in to a more fluid, mobile midfield that we are appearing to be after.

Helander might be worth a gamble on a year extension on reduced terms if he can prove his fitness before the end of the season. A lot of folk would understandably disagree on that though.

Morelos? Who knows. Probably better for him also and us to get a fresh start, but there is also a very slight possibility that he would be worth a 2 year deal, with the prospect of getting something back for him after a year. But only if he shows signs of getting back to his hungry best before the end of the season, and is willing to take a significant pay cut.

Matondo will be away. Dunno about Roofe.

Arfield, Jack, McLaughlin, and Barisic would likely be decent experienced back up for another year.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old ‘Rangers men’ argument.

Not working out bad for the other team in Glasgow with the amount of home grown players they have in their ranks eh…

We have plenty of guys who have been here long enough to understand the expectation (and failures) of the club.

Barisic won't be going. He has 1 year left in the summer. There isn't much value or point in selling Borna in the summer.

I suspect Barisic along with Roofe and McLaughlin will leave in summer 2024 at the end of their deals.

Going this summer I can see:
McGregor (retired)
One of Souttar or King (away on loan)
Helander (end of contract)
Davis (retired)
Sands (end of his loan)
Lowry (out on loan)
Matondo (out on loan)
Morelos (end of contract)

I hope we can keep Kent but have resigned myself a bit that he is leaving.

I think Jack and Arfield get new 1 year deals. Jack will be a decent back up, when fit but can't be considered a main man, due to injury issues. Arfield can't start games, but he is a good impact player with 20/30 minutes to play.

Unless we get decent offers, I don't see Kamara or Lundstram leaving. Beale is a massive Kamara fan and Kamara's form has taken an upturn since Beale came in. With Lundstram, I just don't see anyone offering the kind of money, that would tempt us into selling.
Agreed on all points

People don't like me saying this but Oli McBurnie would get us goals up here and he is Scottish will be fit and ready to go next year after his hernia op,is he worth £25 000 though that is the question and John Fleck is also on a PCA but is 31 could he maybe replace Arfield give him a year or two?Sirki Dembele just went on loan to Auxere in France another good player maybe worth a shout if Wright is sold?

Morelos is not signing a new deal. How many times? The club and him are MILES AND MILES apart on what he wants.

He wants a raise, we have offered a performance based deal, him wanting a raise is an absolute cheek in my opinion.
I’m only going on what Beale said he said they will speak after today - nothing sounds 100% one way or another.

Especially when he’s one of the high earners

I’m absolutely ok with Morelos leaving!!

Struggling to see why Lundstram would be sold?

Can see Jack being given a new deal and hopeful we get Kent tied up. The rest most likely be away. Morelos is genuinely 50/50 for me. Wouldn’t mind see us freshen up our main striker but at the same time if he stays I think Beale could get the best out him again

I would keep Jack and sell Arfield. No point keeping someone to be a sub.

Roofe, Wright and Matondo should be on the list imo.

Everyone else on the list can go if they want.

We need to trim the squad and buy 3-5 first team players imo.
If Jack is in first 11 next season or even gets 30 starts for example, we're in trouble.

He should go

There will certainly be a number of players leaving but also a couple of contracts being extended (maybe Jack 2 years and Arfield 1 year), We really do need to see 3 or 4 youngsters promoted to the first team squad and given some decent playing time as there’s no way we can just go out and bring in 10 to 12 players to replace those departing.

If Jack is in first 11 next season or even gets 30 starts for example, we're in trouble.

He should go
He’s a good solid SPL level midfielder. He can still contribute.

There are no guarantees that Raskin comes in and does well.

We need Scottish players and I would rather have a Jack than a Wright for example.

Won't really bat an eyelid at pretty much any of them departing.

Wholesale changed required.

The old guard have to be moved out. No room for sentiment.

The success rate in terms of leagues/trophies has simply not been good enough.

Yet you still have people wanting to keep the likes of Morelos, Arfield, Borna, Jack, Wright etc. :D

Keep Kent if possible.

Offer Jack an extension IF he goes injury free for the rest of this season.

Sign Tillman but not Sands.

Release everyone else who's contract is up.

Plus sell Kamara, Lundstram and Barisic and find a way to get Roofe away as well.

Back