Summer Shaping

Rumping Roger

As the dust settles, and we have a big game on Saturday (I should know getting a train from Euston at 6.06am!)... Will be really interesting to see what happens with Gio shaping his squad for next season. Surely he'll be given a decent war chest after our European run, accumulate to speculate for the Champs League and potential sales. Some of the potentials within our squad here:

Goldson - Unfortunately looks like he's leaving, or we make him the highest paid player at the club?

Bassey - Fearing we might get an unbelievable offer for him. Regardless, he should be getting a big and lengthy contract.

Kent - New deal or we sell...

Morelos - As above...

Aribo - Again, got a feeling he won't entertain a new contract.

Kamara - Tentative Villa rumours, might be a big offer on the cards?

Balogun, Davis & Shagger - New deals? I would say yes to 1 years for all three.

Hope we don't rip this squad out but continue the evolution. Lowry will be exciting next year, we'll need to bring in at least 3 forwards regardless of what happens to Alfie.

WATP.

As the dust settles, and we have a big game on Saturday (I should know getting a train from Euston at 6.06am!)... Will be really interesting to see what happens with Gio shaping his squad for next season. Surely he'll be given a decent war chest after our European run, accumulate to speculate for the Champs League and potential sales. Some of the potentials within our squad here:

Goldson - Unfortunately looks like he's leaving, or we make him the highest paid player at the club?

Bassey - Fearing we might get an unbelievable offer for him. Regardless, he should be getting a big and lengthy contract.

Morelos - As above...

Hope we don't rip this squad out but continue the evolution. Lowry will be exciting next year, we'll need to bring in at least 3 forwards regardless of what happens to Alfie.

WATP.
id let balogun and davis go, this team needs refreshed big time

maybe offer mcgregor a coaching role and back up keeper

Aribo, Kent and Alfie should be told to either sign up, or find clubs asap to get money in and reinvest. Bassey will be sold to the highest bidder IF an offer comes in.
McGregor will retire I think, and shouldn’t be given a new deal either. Davis will be released, amongst a few others. I’d let Balogun go aswell tbh along with the rest he accompanies in the treatment room on a regular basis ie Helander, and Roofe,

Morelos - As above...

WATP.
Goldson - definitely away I reckon.

Bassey - offer a new deal tie him down.

Kent - could go I reckon but teams might be put off with the lack of final product

Morelos - might fancy shot at champs league so might manage to keep him

Aribo and Kamara think both of them will be sold to an EPL club.

Balogun - no as we have a backup for bassey in King

Davis and McGregor probably not.

Others on the way out I reckon Helander due to injury’s not really featured but has played well for us potentially barasic, katic, itten, obviously Ramsay loan up, I’d be clearing out the current crop on loan I.e Middleton etc they’ve had there shot and don’t think they are the caliber that we need especially when we have Lowry etc sitting there playing well when called up. Gaffer obviously sees something in Scott wright but again don’t think he is the level we need, think he might take a punt on keeping Diallo if the money is right.

Goldson - definitely away I reckon.

Bassey - offer a new deal tie him down.

Kent - could go I reckon but teams might be put off with the lack of final product

Morelos - might fancy shot at champs league so might manage to keep him

Aribo and Kamara think both of them will be sold to an EPL club.

Balogun - no as we have a backup for bassey in King

Davis and McGregor probably not.

Others on the way out I reckon Helander due to injury’s not really featured but has played well for us potentially barasic, katic, itten, obviously Ramsay loan up, I’d be clearing out the current crop on loan I.e Middleton etc they’ve had there shot and don’t think they are the caliber that we need especially when we have Lowry etc sitting there playing well when called up. Gaffer obviously sees something in Scott wright but again don’t think he is the level we need, think he might take a punt on keeping Diallo if the money is right.
This. I genuinely agree with all points.

And I agree on Scott Wright.

I don't know what the hell Gio sees in him. He should be part of the summer clearout.

Bassey needs to stay

Alfie needs to stay

Kent needs to stay

Tav needs to stay

Lowry needs to play

King need to play

Davis is respectfully thanked for his magnificent service

McGregor is respectfully thanked for his magnificent service

Aribo is sold

Camara is sold

Balagoun is rewarded with an extension

Here comes the controversy.
.Ramsey is offered a loan to buy
Make Gareth bale a signing target using Ramsey as leverage.

New goalkeeper no 1
Two new strikers
New left back
Two new centre backs
Two new Central midfielders

Itten sold
Wright sold

Firth sold

We should all want a team to have ambition for a major European honour . None more than the board

Bassey needs to stay

Alfie needs to stay

Kent needs to stay

Tav needs to stay

Lowry needs to play

King need to play

Aribo is sold

Camara is sold

New goalkeeper no 1
Two new strikers
New left back
Two new centre backs

Itten sold
Wright sold

Firth sold

We should all want a team to have ambition for a major European honour . None more than the board
I’ll take two bags of whatever you’re on

Bassey needs to stay

Alfie needs to stay

Kent needs to stay

Tav needs to stay

Lowry needs to play

King need to play

Aribo is sold

Camara is sold

New goalkeeper no 1
Two new strikers
New left back
Two new centre backs

Itten sold
Wright sold

Firth sold

I like this idea

This exceptional group has clearly come to the end of its cycle and Rangers need to think about new players and new ideas, not holding onto the old ones hoping to get a new tune.

My concern is resigning Arfield and apparently still looking at the likes of McGregor/Davis for another year suggests the Board are looking at the Cost Cutters route which would be a killer and render the next couple of seasons barren.

As far as the likes of Big Leon go, thanks but we need players who can actually play football 50 or more times a season. By extension the likes of Jack, FH etc shouldn’t be here long term.

The squad needs a new start and it has to be far more reliable than what we’ve been working with.

It’s a wonder we did as well as we have considering all the juggling that’s been done.

This exceptional group has clearly come to the end of its cycle and Rangers need to think about new players and new ideas, not holding onto the old ones hoping to get a new tune.

My concern is resigning Arfield and apparently still looking at the likes of McGregor/Davis for another year suggests the Board are looking at the Cost Cutters route which would be a killer and render the next couple of seasons barren.

As far as the likes of Big Leon go, thanks but we need players who can actually play football 50 or more times a season. By extension the likes of Jack, FH etc shouldn’t be here long term.

The squad needs a new start and it has to be far more reliable than what we’ve been working with.

It’s a wonder we did as well as we have considering all the juggling that’s been done.
Agree that the signing of Arfield and potentially McGregor and Davis are concerning. No disrespect as they have all been good signings but we need a fresh start.

I would also sell Kent, Kamara and look to get replacements in with the funds generated.

The Davis one I wouldn’t get rid off as quick as everyone else. He brings a calmness to our team when he comes on . I believe he has already been told he is not in Gios plans and is retiring. No matter what happens he has been a outstanding servant to our club and if so we thank home. Every midfielder in Scotland should watch and learn from him .

Two CB’s that can play 50 plus games a year is a must along with a new GK, centre midfield and new striker (if Alfie goes) meaning a whole new spine which is hard to get right on the first go. A lot will all depend on sales and if we can get in to Champions League so I can see moves for players late in the window, unfortunately. Big summer for Wilson to see if he can deliver on Gio’s plans.

starting 11

McLaughlin

Tav
New
Bassey
New

Lundstram
Jack
Lowry

Kent
Morelos
New

King, Soutar, McKinnon, Arfield, Balogun, Sands, Wright, Sakala, Devine, McCrorie, Zurawaski.

No time for sentiment . Older players that have served us well won’t be better next year or even at the same level as this year.

No time for those that show up for 50% of games - either based on form or fitness.

starting 11

McLaughlin

Tav
New
Bassey
New

Lundstram
Jack
Lowry

Kent
Morelos
New

King, Soutar, McKinnon, Arfield, Balogun, Sands, Wright, Sakala, Devine, McCrorie, Zurawaski.

No time for sentiment . Older players that have served us well won’t be better next year or even at the same level as this year.

No time for those that show up for 50% of games - either based on form or fitness.
That bench is far too weak to go into next season with.

That bench is far too weak to go into next season with.
I would rather see us getting the best starting eleven rather than an extra half dozen players that play now and again. What I would like to see is GVB having a starting 11 with a similar player in mind as back up. We have 3 players currently if missing completely changes tactics and game plan - Tav, Kent and Morelos.

Morelos - As above...

WATP.

Goldson - new contract should not be offered.

Kent and Morelos unlikely to sign extensions so have to be sold.

Kamara should be punted.

Balogun, Davis and McGregor don't deserve new contracts.

There's a massive rebuilding job needed. A few young players are starting to look like they could play meaningful roles next season. King is the future of the club for the next few years and should be featuring ahead of Balogun in terms of our plans going forward. Same with our young midfielders and Davis. The days of Rangers paying strong money for aging squad/bench options have to be over.

I would be happy if we sold some players for decent money.

Kamara, Aribo, Barasic, candidates.

Would consider Kent if the correct bid came in.

Really feel now is the time to be bold and twist instead of stick. We have had the same key players for years now.

We need changes, freshened up and an injection of quality through out the team.

Another season of heavily relying on Morelos won’t do. We started a European cup final with Scott Wright - no disrespect to Scott Wright but he’s not the level of quality required.

Some players have come to the end of their Rangers careers. McGregor and Davis for example. Throw in Goldson too.

We need changes, freshened up and an injection of quality through out the team.

Another season of heavily relying on Morelos won’t do. We started a European cup final with Scott Wright - no disrespect to Scott Wright but he’s not the level of quality required.

Some players have come to the end of their Rangers careers. McGregor and Davis for example. Throw in Goldson too.
There's a place for Wright in the Rangers squad, and perhaps Van Bronkhorst thinks that. Maybe not first choice in big games, but he can still play a role.

John Souttar isn’t our answer at CB either, good enough player but can’t see him lasting a season without injury.

Agree that the signing of Arfield and potentially McGregor and Davis are concerning. No disrespect as they have all been good signings but we need a fresh start.

I would also sell Kent, Kamara and look to get replacements in with the funds generated.
Nail on head.

If its not done effectively this Summer it becomes impossible next, creating the potential for us being non-competitive at home and in Europe as we founder around.

Say what you will about the T!ms and Fat Ange but they bought younger, fresher players than they had and it upgraded the Team.

Rangers have the double-focus of replacing multiple leavers and trying to source new talents within our budget, either would be a challenge at the best of times.

I feel we must utilise our development squad as we do this. Obvs promoting your own players saves money but its not for that reason. We have Lowry who is streets ahead of anything we have or indeed in Scotland and hes ready to play week in week out. We can see it clear as day. He wants the ball, he wants to make things happen as quickly as possible and hes got the ability to back it up. Basically he wants to be front and centre of the action. At the risk of sounding OTT, he is potentially our modern day Jim Baxter. Could we find and sign such a player? Unlikely but who cares because hes already here and wants to play.

Similarly Big King is ready to go and right in a position we need a player. Hes young and inexperienced but unlike a lot of youth players hes build like a tank and can easily handle the rough and tumble of SPL games. He also seems a very confident lad. Lets play him.

Those two being in and around the XI saves us a lot of time and money in the market.

Beyond that we should learn the lessons of loan moves not working. Rangers cannot afford another risk like Ramsay or Amad, we need players who are our own and coming to Rangers to make something of themselves as part of our Club, not looking for a stop off until the next move in 6-12 months time.

My concern is the Board lack the vision and appetite to make the moves needed. Id trust Gio's judgement on players but he may find, like Gerrard did, the support for his ideas is not as strong as hed like.

Morelos, Kent and Aribo rather sign a new deal or be sold this summer.

We need some quality injected into midfield.... no goals or creativity in there at all

Gio needs backed. The board must use the money from Europe, sell players who dont want to be here and give Gio the money

Morelos, Kent and Aribo rather sign a new deal or be sold this summer.

We need some quality injected into midfield.... no goals or creativity in there at all

Gio needs backed. The board must use the money from Europe, sell players who dont want to be here and give Gio the money

As much as I like Kent someone of his value needs to provide more final product in terms of assists and goals. His finishing ability is frustrating at times.

Hagi has been a miss for us since being injured.

I think gio will already have a few potential targets lined up but agreed he needs backing and backing early.

As much as I like Kent someone of his value needs to provide more final product in terms of assists and goals. His finishing ability is frustrating at times.

Hagi has been a miss for us since being injured.

I think gio will already have a few potential targets lined up but agreed he needs backing and backing early.
I agree on Kent hes numbers are extremely poor but he doesn't get no help from the other side!

We need to do our business early that is essential so we are ready to go for them qualifiers

If we do sell Kamara I can't help but feel that keeping Davis for one more season would be reasonable given Ryan Jack can't be relied on to play enough games.

Would also give time and assistance to develop the likes of Charlie McCann, or any other young player on the fringes of first team squad.

Obviously this could change depending on who GVB brings in as we all expect midfield signing(s) this summer.

I agree on Kent hes numbers are extremely poor but he doesn't get no help from the other side!

We need to do our business early that is essential so we are ready to go for them qualifiers
This is a case of where repeating a statement consistently makes it a fact. Kent has 22 assists across all competitions. That is an excellent number. I agree he doesn’t score enough goals but his overall game is vastly underrated by sections of our support.

Season 22/23 starts on Sunday. No fucking about in the transfer market. Get targets identified, signed and bedded in on time for the qualifiers. The board have to back Gio big time. Anything less isn't taking their eye off the ball, it's gross negligence.

Season 22/23 starts on Sunday. No fucking about in the transfer market. Get targets identified, signed and bedded in on time for the qualifiers. The board have to back Gio big time. Anything less isn't taking their eye off the ball, it's gross negligence.
I'm sure he'll be getting backed, especially with some big transfer money potentially coming in.

My only concern is if Wilson has identified the quality players we need.

Wilson really has blundered in putting us in this position.

Having basically all of our sellable assets reach there last year of the contract together at the same time?

Terrible miss management.

Back