Summer sport cancelled in UK

WATP

So with Wimbledon being cancelled entirely and which was due to take place 28th Jun to 12th July,

Surely the football authorities now need to admit the 2019-20 seasons are now lost to the pandemic, forget the argument of lost revenue etc. 1 additional life lost due to an early recommencement of this season would be unforgivable and cannot be allowed to happen.

Think a lot of these events are cancelled as they can’t get people in just now to set up. Football is slightly different

So with Wimbledon being cancelled entirely and which was due to take place 28th Jun to 12th July,

Surely the football authorities now need to admit the 2019-20 seasons are now lost to the pandemic, forget the argument of lost revenue etc. 1 additional life lost due to an early recommencement of this season would be unforgivable and cannot be allowed to happen.

As long as we're all allowed back out on 12th July then I don't care about Wimbledon etc. :d

Probably due to the fact that people cant train properly when things are as they are. It is no different to football etc, No one is training how they should be and i highly doubt they will be thrown straight into competetive games.

Its going to be a bizarre year with no sports to watch.

Still, has to be put in perspective, some things are more important.

The Edinburgh Fringe in August is off too. It will be a long, long while before we see football played again unfortunately. Even if they cancelled this season, next season won't start on time

There is next to no chance of football being played this year .. as much as peopl want it too.

BREAKING
Coronavirus: COP26 climate change summit in Glasgow postponed for a year

Sky News understands that the budget for the event is £350 million - of which around half had been committed to venues.
By Tamara Cohen, political correspondent, and Aubrey Allegretti, political reporter
Wednesday 1 April 2020 21:34, UK
Image:The COP26 summit was meant to go ahead in Glasgow November 2020
Why you can trust Sky News
The UN summit on tackling climate change meant to be held in Britain this winter has been postponed because of coronavirus.
The gathering of world leaders - known as COP26 - was due to be the biggest the UK has ever hosted, taking place over four days in November in Glasgow.

Around 30,000 delegates including politicians, climate experts and campaigners had planned to attend to agree new co-ordinated plans to tackle climate change.

No more sport until at least the final quarter of the year.

It’s just not a priority and once we get over this initial peak of cases, there will be a big push to avoid a second peak of infections later in the year.

There is next to no chance of football being played this year .. as much as peopl want it too.

BREAKING

Sky News understands that the budget for the event is £350 million - of which around half had been committed to venues.
By Tamara Cohen, political correspondent, and Aubrey Allegretti, political reporter
The UN summit on tackling climate change meant to be held in Britain this winter has been postponed because of coronavirus.
The gathering of world leaders - known as COP26 - was due to be the biggest the UK has ever hosted, taking place over four days in November in Glasgow.

Around 30,000 delegates including politicians, climate experts and campaigners had planned to attend to agree new co-ordinated plans to tackle climate change.
Although the virus is the immediate problem, global warming is the bigger threat but have these 30,000 not realised VC's are now the way forward !

Football needs to get over itself, they will not be party to any decision when it can restart. They will just have to comply with any social restrictions that apply to the rest of the population.
Clubs should immediately furlough all their players(it is being done with their other employees), otherwise they will just haemmorhage their resources on employees who are not doing what they are paid to do. Why do they seem to be willing to bankrupt themselves by continuing to pay their prima donnas exhorbitant salaries? It is madness.
Any footballer who tries to contest such a decision, deserves to be crucified.
Are we just waiting on one major team to bite the bullet and do this, and everyone else wil pile in?
I would love Rangers to set an example here.
Sporting events in contact sports will be amongst the last things to be normalised.
EUFA and national bodies are only conerned about their own interests.
Football in Europe should not be recommenced until this virus has been eliminated.

If I stay away from work much longer will I start to talk with a camp nasally whine, grow a monobrow and start to engage in an unhealthy relationship with my youngest sibling?

I honestly think we’re looking at the first competitive game we can watch being the start of the 2021 season in a year or so

Football needs to get over itself, they will not be party to any decision when it can restart. They will just have to comply with any social restrictions that apply to the rest of the population.
Clubs should immediately furlough all their players(it is being done with their other employees), otherwise they will just haemmorhage their resources on employees who are not doing what they are paid to do. Why do they seem to be willing to bankrupt themselves by continuing to pay their prima donnas exhorbitant salaries? It is madness.
Any footballer who tries to contest such a decision, deserves to be crucified.
Are we just waiting on one major team to bite the bullet and do this, and everyone else wil pile in?
I would love Rangers to set an example here.
Sporting events in contact sports will be amongst the last things to be normalised.
EUFA and national bodies are only conerned about their own interests.
Football in Europe should not be recommenced until this virus has been eliminated.
Whilst I agree with our post, the furlough scheme has a maximum of £2,500 per month. That is an almost insignificant amount for a lot of players so can't imagine they'd be happy to go along with it.

Whilst I agree with our post, the furlough scheme has a maximum of £2,500 per month. That is an almost insignificant amount for a lot of players so can't imagine they'd be happy to go along with it.
And it’s gross, bizarrely the figure seems to be taken as net by many

Last edited:
The Edinburgh Fringe in August is off too. It will be a long, long while before we see football played again unfortunately. Even if they cancelled this season, next season won't start on time

I don't expect to see football again this side of Halloween, and probably not again this year.

When restrictions are lifted it will have to be a very gradual process, with mass crowd events such as football and concerts being right at the end of that process. Going from the current situation straight back to how things were just is not going to happen.

BREAKING

Clouds and silver linings comes to mind.

All Scottish athletics events are off for the foreseeable future , god knows how some people think this season will be completed ?!

No chance that goes ahead imo, the whole flat season could be written off I reckon.

It would be behind closed doors i reckon.
Believe it or not there are plans for flat racing to return behind closed doors on a regional basis within 4 weeks. This all depends of course on where we are with the virus in the next 2 weeks.

Think a lot of these events are cancelled as they can’t get people in just now to set up. Football is slightly different

That's a good point, the stands for Royal Portrush started going up the early part of last year, no way anyone could be working doing those things now.

Back