Sunday’s games of football

Can understand some of the fans not happy with how Gerrard left but honestly don’t get why so many of them now hate him? It’s football and manger or player we need to accept that we are seen as a stepping stone to jobs/ teams in the Premier league. So if people make that move then it only shows that they must have done well for us which is what we want, a team of players doing well and winning. Yeah he could have left at a better time but I’m not gonna hold it against him after delivering the league last year.

Plus the better any of our players or managers do when they make the move the better it is for us in the long run, as we will start to establish a record of people doing well when they “make the step up”, which means we can demand more money for them.

So I hope Gerrard does well at Villa and continues to do well where ever he goes after.

Each to their own, and ultimately I'm not really bothered who wins this game, but I'll always prefer the manager who won the title for us to a bheast supporting former manager of them.

It’s FF. The stauncher you are, the more abuse you send the players, managers. Or so it feels.

As disappointed one is about Gerrard’s departure, the revisionism is sad. I think people try too hard.

Wolves and West Ham have qualified for Europe in recent seasons. It won't be easy but given the resources available to him it won't exactly be impossible.
Uh-huh. I wasn't debating the chances of it happening, I was pointing it out its a harder task to complete than winning a league where you out spend 10/11 teams you face by about £10 million.

One hand!

Similar happened to Shagger last year at Easter Road and he was raging at the ref and you can visible see him shouting "that's the fvcking rule!"

Second I saw that today, and having VAR first thing I thought, "this is getting chopped off"
I remember that now however Shagger shouting at someone should never be the basis for reasonable evidence!

Uh-huh. I wasn't debating the chances of it happening, I was pointing it out its a harder task to complete than winning a league where you out spend 10/11 teams you face by about £10 million.
You said it was too big a job for him. Which is total nonsense.

Wolves and West Ham have qualified for Europe in recent seasons. It won't be easy but given the resources available to him it won't exactly be impossible.

Correct, he won't need to be a miracle worker to take Aston Villa into Europe. The job he inherited at Rangers was far greater. It was much harder for him to win the title with Rangers than it would be to take Villa into Europe.

This season has got to be the nail in the coffin of Rodgers getting a job like Man Utd.
There's only so far you can take teams like Leicester. If he hadn't bottled top 4 he'd be in the mix but he looks closer to the sack now.

He's already been at a bigger club, getting Villa into the European places is a harder task than getting Rangers back to winning the league.
Bigger club correct.
The other part not so sure,he came to us after the Pedro/Murty show,regularly getting beat from them,finishing miles behind in the league.
He's went to Villa who finished 11th last season,i think 7th gets you Euro football,bankrolled by billionaires,very doable.

Imagine cheering on Rodgers.

Villa will have won 3 games they likely wouldn’t have won before appointing Gerrard. And we definitely would not have won the last 4. Don’t think we would have been Sparta by 2 goals, and Gio’s subs made the difference against Hibs,

It’s in the past, we have done well out of it all. Don’t understand the bitterness.

Quite happy to see Gerrard hand Rodgers a defeat here.

Frankly we have improved as a team since Gerrard left, other than the cup semifinal clusterfook, the man did us a favor long term.

Not buying that.

His task arriving at Ibrox was far bigger than now trying to qualify for Europe with Villa. That’s the typical arrogance of the EPL. Surprised our own support would also indulge in it.

Bigger club correct.
The other part not so sure,he came to us after the Pedro/Murty show,regularly getting beat from them,finishing miles behind in the league.
He's went to Villa who finished 11th last season,i think 7th gets you Euro football,bankrolled by billionaires,very doable.
The top 7 as it is right now is how you'd expect the top 7 to finish at the end of the season. Arsenal, Man United, West Ham and Spurs are all fighting it out for top 4. He'd actually have to beat one of those 4 to 7th place, can't see it.

He changed the fortunes of Argentina too when he came in for the Copa America , top notch keeper Martinez.

The top 7 as it is right now is how you'd expect the top 7 to finish at the end of the season. Arsenal, Man United, West Ham and Spurs are all fighting it out for top 4. He'd actually have to beat one of those 4 to 7th place, can't see it.

European football won't be a requirement in his first season given what he inherited but longterm it's a realistic aim. Villa have a massive budget and will continue to spend big. West Ham and Leicester have shown what is possible if you have a good manager who spends well.

Some folk on here...like a rejected burd walking around angry and bitter.

Move on. Gerrard delivered 55. We now have Gio. We're in a better place.
I agree. We've got ourselves a better manager who had a better playing career overall.

Gerrard was great for us, at the time. He has now got a job which will challenge him more and it was probably the right move at the right time for all concerned.

What he goes on to now will be interesting as a barometer (i.e. does being a successful manager here still give you the tools to go on and do it in England as others have done). And will he get the experience he wants and do enough to earn the Liverpool gig - if he does will he be able to win the CL/EPL with them.

Neutrals and purists will find it interesting. Bitter parochial folk not so much.

European football won't be a requirement in his first season given what he inherited but longterm it's a realistic aim. Villa have a massive budget and will continue to spend big. West Ham and Leicester have shown what is possible if you have a good manager who spends well.
He might very well end up getting the euro spot but I'd imagine Villa will want more than 1 European finish out of 3, for talking sake, and as Wolves and Leicester have shown it ain't so easy doing it consistently especially when you're up against a much better calibre every week than he would have been used to at Rangers.

Give him a year or two with his own players i think he can get 6th or 7th,that's probably the ceiling for Villa.

He might very well end up getting the euro spot but I'd imagine Villa will want more than 1 European finish out of 3, for talking sake, and as Wolves and Leicester have shown it ain't so easy doing it consistently especially when you're up against a much better calibre every week than he would have been used to at Rangers.

He's a very good manager with a good coaching team behind him so I can see him doing a cracking job.

Cracking game this.

Gerrard hasn’t half had an instant impact on this Villa side.
Looking like 9 points out of 12, yet it could easily have been 4 defeats Brighton, palace and Leicester games have been really close

Don’t put anyone in football on a pedestal. You’ll feel a lot better when the inevitable happens.

This Leicester team finished top five past two seasons. Wolves top 7 in 2 of the last 3 as well.
Clever.

This Leicester team have proven to be a good team under a good manager, probably just ran their course under the current manager as what tends to hapoen to most in the Premier league. Same with Wolves, Nuno was hardly Murty pre-Spurs.

There's nothing yet to suggest he can overcome any of the teams in the top 7 right now.

I thought he would have been a tracksuit manager when he went down to Villa,3 years at Rangers some of the standards have rubbed off on him.

Moenchengladbach 0-6 Freiburg and Freiburg into the Champions League places.

Six nil at half time and six different scorers as well.

Back