Sunday Times - Souness on Gerrard, Rangers and Liverpool

The Goalie

Steven Gerrard should be in no rush to leave Rangers – they are a huge club​

Steven Gerrard will go back to Liverpool sooner or later, but for the sake of Rangers’ supporters, myself included, I hope not for a few years yet. I don’t know how Steven sees it, but Liverpool already have a very good manager and Rangers, the team I supported as a boy, are flying with him in charge, so on a purely selfish basis I’d like him to stay for the foreseeable future.

He’s cut his teeth at a big football club with big pressures. It’s been a good grounding for him and given him an enormous advantage over a contemporary like Frank Lampard. Derby County didn’t give Lampard an insight into managing a big club before he became Chelsea’s boss.

I did five years as Rangers manager, but eventually the parochialism in Scotland drove me out. The media were unashamedly biased at times — on both sides. The job I was offered at Liverpool was the only one I’d have considered leaving Rangers for, but if I hadn’t been banned from the touchline for the second time and didn’t feel I was on the front pages as much as the back pages, I might have stayed. There was too much focus on me and not the club and that was detrimental.

Rangers and Celtic are arguably the hardest jobs in British football because you’re judged on four games and expected to wipe the floor with everybody else, so the criticism and pressure is severe. This was a make or break season for Gerrard, I don’t think he could have stayed if Celtic had won a tenth consecutive title, knowing the pressures up there. There always has to be a loser and Neil Lennon, who I’ve worked with on television and have a lot of time for, has lost the league and his job.
Don’t expect Celtic to roll over and accept this as the norm. They will respond this summer. I can’t second guess their board, but if they went for Roy Keane, as a report suggested, it would light the touch paper and be great for the Scottish game because people throughout football and far beyond Scotland would be talking about the rivalry with those two personalities in charge.

When you’re employed by either club, you soon learn what it means to the supporters. I believe there’s four clubs in Britain that are institutions — Rangers and Celtic in Glasgow and Liverpool and Manchester United in England. I’m sure supporters of other clubs up and down the country will disagree, but that’s how I see it.

For nine years, Rangers supporters have been going to work on a Monday to have the mickey taken out of them. The bragging rights in the west of Scotland are so important because it’s a small population, so it must have been a terrible time for them. I can’t emphasise that enough.

Gerrard was never going to go in and win it first time round, it’s been a slow burn. You had a Rangers team starting from a very low point trying to catch a Celtic one that were consistent qualifiers for the Champions League, with the money that generates, so it was never going to happen overnight. He’s done an incredible job to get them to where they are, playing the kind of football they are playing and winning the league so convincingly. This year, they’ve been relentless. You also have to throw in the way Celtic have imploded. For a Rangers supporter, that’s only good news because it means there are underlying problems that they are not going to solve overnight.

I’ve spoken to Gary McAllister, Gerrard’s assistant, since they won the league and it was a conversation that confirmed what I suspected. I said, “I bet even you, a Rangers supporter as a boy, were surprised by the club” and he said, “Oh yeah, I thought I knew it but I didn’t”.
There are so many similarities between Glasgow and Liverpool, but it would still be a shock to Gerrard. Initially, he’d have been like me walking into Ibrox in 1986, thinking, “I’ve been at a big, passionate football club, captained my country and worked with great managers, so I can handle this”.

Well, I’m sorry, and I’m sure he’d agree, I didn’t know what I was walking into. Being from the east of Scotland I thought I knew the club, but I knew nothing. The passion, the history, the emotion... it’s easy for players and a manager, as I did at times, to get caught up in it all.

Gerrard’s put the foundations down for sustained success now. Rangers are playing a brand of football which is a good watch, but they have a pragmatic approach at times, too. This season they have shared the goals around, with 16 different scorers in the league, whereas in previous seasons they were too reliant on Alfredo Morelos.

Rangers are just six games — two of them against Celtic — from achieving an entire league season unbeaten. I’m sure Gerrard and McAllister will remind their players of how Liverpool collapsed after winning the Premier League last season. You can’t get in your armchairs when you have a chance to create history.

Sorry Graeme, but bragging rights only apply in the ‘small population’ of the west of Scotland?

There are Rangers supporters up and down the breadth of Scotland. Do bragging rights not apply in these places too?

Other than that, a decent read from a good ambassador for the club.

Sorry Graeme, but bragging rights only apply in the ‘small population’ of the west of Scotland?

There are Rangers supporters up and down the breadth of Scotland. Do bragging rights not apply in these places too?

Oh, very much farther afield mate but not least here in NI, where the Great Unwashed have been taking it as well as their plastic paddy chums.

Oh, very much farther afield mate but not least here in NI, where the Great Unwashed have been taking it as well as their plastic paddy chums.
Of course mate. That didn’t escape my attention either. How can an institution exist with a small population? I’m assuming that the piece was ghost written by someone for Graeme and the context within Scotland was picked up wrong.

That said, Graeme has bumped his geography gums on Sky previously too.

Without sounding like suffering from wee man syndrome, Rangers supporters are all over the place - Graeme should know that by now.

I was disappointed when he left but can understand why. He didn't take any sh!t from the pencil pushers running the game, and they detested him for it. I would love to see him back in some capacity.

A great read by a guy who has championed our cause for many years. Agree with him on the 4 biggest clubs in UK - nobody else comes close and also on a worldwide basis - how many Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc supporters clubs do you know of in USA, Canada, Dubai, Australia, NZ....and that's just for starters !

A great read by a guy who has championed our cause for many years. Agree with him on the 4 biggest clubs in UK - nobody else comes close and also on a worldwide basis - how many Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc supporters clubs do you know of in USA, Canada, Dubai, Australia, NZ....and that's just for starters !
When Andy Halliday was in Azerbaijan, I'm sure he said there was a small rangers boozer near where he lived where he watched our games!

I read somewhere the other week about Stevie G has learnt all about our history, both recent and long term. I think it was an ex-team mate being quoted, but can’t quite remember.
Interesting that even Gary Mac was amazed at the size of the club, having been Rangers mad all his days, but never played for us.
For me it’s not the volume of the support, or their passion, it’s that everyone one of the support are emotionally tied to the club, not just the team on the park. Rangers are an addiction that no one tries to kick.

Of course mate. That didn’t escape my attention either. How can an institution exist with a small population? I’m assuming that the piece was ghost written by someone for Graeme and the context within Scotland was picked up wrong.

That said, Graeme has bumped his geography gums on Sky previously too.

Without sounding like suffering from wee man syndrome, Rangers supporters are all over the place - Graeme should know that by now.

It was - as all his Sunday Times columns are - ghost written.

Make no mistake, the magnificent bastardo knows the score.

I did five years as Rangers manager, but eventually the parochialism in Scotland drove me out. The media were unashamedly biased at times
I think this is the first time I have seen him strongly indicate this.?
And it has always been my fear that our city/country and all that it offers in blatant anti-Rangers pananoia is the one thing that would drive our manager (and great players such as Alfie: a superb individual who has been disgracefully treated) out.
Fortunately, so far, our group is so strong and has amazing togetherness os they seem to have been able to largely block out the crap aimed at them.
They love our club.
Long may that continue....

I think every Rangers supporter wants Keane to get the Celtic job.B-DB-D
I think he is being very clever here. He knows Keane is useless and trying to sell him to Celtc board to help us. Also I bet he would be quite happy to get rid of him from his position, so he’s not listening to his drivel every week.
And I don’t care if some of you think he’s a “good” pundit

It is a change to read something positive about Rangers in the Sunday Times. Their two Scottish football writers, Douglas Alexander and Mark Palmer, are "Celtic Minded" to put it mildly. The former only really writes about them.

Rangers are huge, just not as huge as Liverpool according to Souness.
I don’t really have an issue with that because in global terms it’s actually correct.

We’re still a huge club though and as the man says a British football institution without a doubt.

As someone from and who has lived in the west of Scotland all my life, I totally agree with you.

He got a lot wrong when at our club and since leaving us.

But him becoming our manager changed my life, he put us back where we belonged and took no shit from anyone in doing it.

Truly magnificent.

I think you’re maybe misinterpreting what he’s saying there.

As a Bear now living down south, it’s not the same. You don’t go into work every Monday either dreading it or bouncing through the doors grinning from ear to ear. As magnificent as it was watching the celebrations from afar the week before last, it wasn’t the same as being there. It wasn’t the same as being in an office that is 50/50 when half of you a thriving in the pain of the other side. It’s not the same as trying to keep the grin off your face as you say good morning as you pass that guy at the end of the road that you know is one of them.

I‘m f*cking proud of being a Rangers fan, and literally everyone I know knows that’s what I am, but them hearing a snippet on the news and then saying “oh, you must be happy at the moment” doesnt compare to the ‘bragging rights‘ you enjoy back home.

Back