Sunday - Who Starts In Midfield?

Drumchapel-Bear

With Barisic getting injured, I think we can all pretty much pick our back 4 and front 3 with relative certainty (Halliday, Goldson, Worrall & Tav. Kent, Candeias & Morelos) but there's one or two tough choices to be made in the middle of the park.

I don't think Gerrard will go this way but my first choice 3 for Sunday would be McCrorie, Davis and Arfield. Think we need McCrorie's physicality for this game and Davis has the experience and mentality to go here and not panic, he'll go and take the ball in tight areas and look to dictate the game. He's done it plenty of times at that sh*thole over the years. Arfield to (hopefully) do a number on Brown like the last game and get up and support the front 3 as much as possible.

How would you/how do you think we'll line up?

Thoughts?

McCrorie instead of Kamara, very clichè but we need to win the battle. These games are his bread & butter where the phsyical element is so important in the first 30 minutes to set the tone.

Jack & Arfield would be the other 2 for me.

I think Jack will start as well because Gerrard really likes him but there's no way he's a better holding midfielder than Steven Davis.

I wouldn't be against Davis starting as long as it's in the holding role he plays for his country.

It's a tough call for him and I'd say the only definite starter Is Arfield.

Davis was very impressive last night and Kamara has done well since joining, but I've got a feeling he'll go with the same 3 as the 29th.

I'm glad it's not me that's got to choose mate.

Probably McCrorie, Jack and Arfield. That's on the assumption that Jack and Arfield are fit though.

Reactions: cav
It's a tough call for him and I'd say the only definite starter Is Arfield.

Davis was very impressive last night and Kamara has done well since joining, but I've got a feeling he'll go with the same 3 as the 29th.

I'm glad it's not me that's got to choose mate.
Given the success in December,I think if fit enough it'll be the same three mate.Whether Jack and Arfield are fit enough is the issue I'd suggest.

I think the slower pace of an international game suits Davis,maybe this one not so much.

Same as last time. McCrorie, Jack and Arfield.

Infact, assuming Barisic is out, the whole team should be the same as last time:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Worrall, Halliday, McCrorie, Jack, Arfield, Kent, Candeias and Morelos.

Hopefully with the exact same mentality and fighting spirit.

Bring Kamara on second half to help us keep the ball, take the sting out the game and hopefully to hold on to a lead.

I thought he was our best player against Kilmarnock (granted we were poor and he didn't have much opposition) I also watched his two performances this week and thought he played very well.

He was 'better' against Kilmarnock, I'll give him that. I didn't see him playing for NI. Still not deserving of a starting place imo.

With Barisic getting injured, I think we can all pretty much pick our back 4 and front 3 with relative certainty (Halliday, Goldson, Worrall & Tav. Kent, Candeias & Morelos) but there's one or two tough choices to be made in the middle of the park.

I don't think Gerrard will go this way but my first choice 3 for Sunday would be McCrorie, Davis and Arfield. Think we need McCrorie's physicality for this game and Davis has the experience and mentality to go here and not panic, he'll go and take the ball in tight areas and look to dictate the game. He's done it plenty of times at that sh*thole over the years. Arfield to (hopefully) do a number on Brown like the last game and get up and support the front 3 as much as possible.

How would you/how do you think we'll line up?

Thoughts?

Someone who will smash that c*nt Brown.

But, asides from that. Need guile, strength, composure and a genuine will to win.

So, that for me means McCrorie, Jack and Arfield.

If McCrorie doesn’t start, Gerrard simply isn’t learning lessons.

I’d go with McCrorie, Jack and Arfield again.

Kamara is a bit lax for me right now. Very good player, but away from home, against the better teams, it’s McCrorie for me, every time.

It is harsh to leave out Kamara btw (though I would).

He's very composed and I don't doubt he would go there, show no fear, play with his head up and rarely lose possession.

He's probably been our best player the last 6 weeks or so.

The last Old Firm was over 3 months ago. It's not as simple as saying just go back to that team and you'll get the same display etc. Lots of variables come into play.

I don't think they'll play the same style under Lennon either, he mentioned after his first couple of games they overplay at the back and he was going to try and coach that out of them etc. So a constant high press might not work if they are going to go a bit more direct.

I don't think you can underplay mentality going to somewhere like Parkhead. Davis won't have any nerves at all whilst the rest of them have never got a result at Parkhead (outwith McCrorie who got a draw there under Murty and was outstanding actually).

Got to be McCrorie, Jack and Arfield if fit as other have said. Harsh on Kamara, but got to go with what worked the last time, he can be a good option off the bench to get our foot on the ball and slow things down to hold on to our lead for the last 15 mins :D

Got to be McCrorie, Jack and Arfield if fit as other have said. Harsh on Kamara, but got to go with what worked the last time, he can be a good option off the bench to get our foot on the ball and slow things down to hold on to our lead for the last 15 mins :D
Yep, I would go with those three at this stage, if fit.

Not looking forward to Sunday.

The last Old Firm was over 3 months ago. It's not as simple as saying just go back to that team and you'll get the same display etc. Lots of variables come into play.

I don't think they'll play the same style under Lennon either, he mentioned after his first couple of games they overplay at the back and he was going to try and coach that out of them etc. So a constant high press might not work if they are going to go a bit more direct.

I don't think you can underplay mentality going to somewhere like Parkhead. Davis won't have any nerves at all whilst the rest of them have never got a result at Parkhead (outwith McCrorie who got a draw there under Murty and was outstanding actually).

It will be a completely different game. Lennon will have them well up for it and their players will be wanting to make up for us beating them at Ibrox.
We can get a result, but there's no way I see us being as dominant as last time.

Last edited:
I thought he was our best player against Kilmarnock (granted we were poor and he didn't have much opposition) I also watched his two performances this week and thought he played very well.

Agree with all of that.

Davis i watched him for Northern Ireland in both games and i thought he done well, them 2 90 minutes plus the 90 he played v Kilmarnock will have helped him greatly, that will be his first 3 90 minutes games in a row for a long time i would go with OPs choice of midfield, bit harsh on Kamara though.

I find it strange that everybody seems to be dropping Kamara for this game. He has been our most consistent performer since he got in the team, yet dropped for McCrorie for this game. Very strange indeed.

It will be a completely different game. Lennon will have them well up for it and their players will be wanting to make up for us beating them at Ibrox.
We can get a result, but there's no one I see us being as dominant as last time.

Indeed mate. And as hard as it is for some to admit, it's a totally different ball game when you go to that midden. It's very rare that you go there and dominate them.

A big problem for the Gaffer.

Jack and Arfield have not been good enough recently. And does Kamara deserve to be dropped for McCrorie - who's not kicked a ball for us for weeks?

Does Davis come into his thinking?

Indeed mate. And as hard as it is for some to admit, it's a totally different ball game when you go to that midden. It's very rare that you go there and dominate them.

It's vital that Alfie keeps his cool and avoids an early yellow card, and you can bet they will do everything to get him booked early doors.
I can't see us having that much of the ball in midfield, so he'll need to fight for everything and he can't do that as effectively when he's on a booking.

A big problem for the Gaffer.

Jack and Arfield have not been good enough recently. And does Kamara deserve to be dropped for McCrorie - who's not kicked a ball for us for weeks?

Does Davis come into his thinking?

I think McCrorie has been playing for the reserves a lot so his match fitness will be fine. Is he away with Scotland U21s as well currently?

Kamara, McCrorrie and Arfield for me. Arfield seems our only midfielder that has any creativity, whilst I'd take McCrorrie and Kamara for their ability to win the ball back and keep it.

I think McCrorie has been playing for the reserves a lot so his match fitness will be fine. Is he away with Scotland U21s as well currently?

Yes - but not the same as playing week in week out for Rangers. That said, I'd bring him in.

We have issues in midfield and defence for this game.

Tbh I think most of the team picks itself, the big question is the middle of the park. I can't help but feel SG needs to start McCrorie, he's the best we've got in terms of breaking up play in the middle of the park.

Yes - but not the same as playing week in week out for Rangers. That said, I'd bring him in.

We have issues in midfield and defence for this game.

So do they mate.

Both teams are going to be without key players and fielding others not fully match fit.

McCrorie, Kamara and Arfield for me if all fit

Davis played well for Northern Ireland but hasn't replicated it for us as of yet.

Last edited:
Back