Sunday - Who Starts In Midfield?

McCrorie, Kamara, Jack

Plenty of energy and dig in that midfield yes it lacks creativity but it's what's needed to stop them running over the top of us.

It is harsh to leave out Kamara btw (though I would).

He's very composed and I don't doubt he would go there, show no fear, play with his head up and rarely lose possession.

He's probably been our best player the last 6 weeks or so.

If Kamara is left out of the starting line-up for Sunday, he'd have every right to feel aggrieved. I'd rather he started ahead of Jack TBH.

Maybe in the past but Davis is finished,Jack a much better option

Davis has strolled his last three games at international level which is far higher standard than the SPL. How many international games has Jack bossed?

I agree Davis hasn't been great but hes been played in the wrong position since returning I've been saying that for weeks and weeks now.

We can play a heavy counter attacking style against the hoard. Our midfield therefore needs dig and guile. Ross McCrorie has to play or the manager will be setting himself up for failure. I'd probably start Jack and Arfield but the fitness has to be as close to 100% as possible for all these guys. If they are at 70% I'd rather see them swapped for Kamara.

Reactions: cav
The Tims midfield if quite athletic. I think they would blow right by Davis. Not the game for him to start

The last one was a huge psychological plus. Select the team closest the the one that had the winning mentality last time round.

I think the range of opinion in this thread alone shows the difficulty of the decision Gerrard has here.

There are many ways he could approach this, let's hope whatever his call is it pays off.

McCrorie needs to play. He gives the team a structure that they will stick to. Not sure why he hasn’t featured recently - injured in st Johnstone game but been in the squads since Easter Road?

I’d consider dropping Candeias tbh. He’s been poor recently. Would consider Arfield or Davis playing right of a fairly narrow midfield. Luckily I’m not in charge.

Davis won't have any nerves at all whilst the rest of them have never got a result at Parkhead (outwith McCrorie who got a draw there under Murty and was outstanding actually).
Tav, Candeias and Morelos all played in that game.
McGregor and Lafferty along with Davis have won there before.

Last edited:
McCrorie instead of Kamara, very clichè but we need to win the battle. These games are his bread & butter where the phsyical element is so important in the first 30 minutes to set the tone.

Jack & Arfield would be the other 2 for me.

100% agree MSF, including your basis.

A few posters on a fishing trip this afternoon :D

Agree with those saying Jack, McCrorie, Arfield. Wouldn't be shocked to see Davis get the nod though.

With Barisic getting injured, I think we can all pretty much pick our back 4 and front 3 with relative certainty (Halliday, Goldson, Worrall & Tav. Kent, Candeias & Morelos) but there's one or two tough choices to be made in the middle of the park.

I don't think Gerrard will go this way but my first choice 3 for Sunday would be McCrorie, Davis and Arfield. Think we need McCrorie's physicality for this game and Davis has the experience and mentality to go here and not panic, he'll go and take the ball in tight areas and look to dictate the game. He's done it plenty of times at that sh*thole over the years. Arfield to (hopefully) do a number on Brown like the last game and get up and support the front 3 as much as possible.

How would you/how do you think we'll line up?

Thoughts?
McCrorie plus 2

I don't particularly rate McCrorie but would play him on Sunday before Davis or Kamara because we need battlers in the middle.

McCrorie is a must and I'll be really disappointed if his name isn't on the team sheet come 11am on Sunday. The strongest and most aggresive player we have for the middle of the park bar none and it will be crucial for the battle that lies ahead.

I like Kamara and think he's a fine, composed wee player who will turn out to be a gem for us. But its very early in his Rangers career and he won't have experienced anything like the hostility and atmosphere of a full piggery, which could affect his passing game (we saw against Aberdeen that he's not immune to a loose one now and again). So he drops out for me.

I'd be tempted to play Davis as well, for the reasons that op mentioned. Experience could be crucial and his form seems to have picked up over last few games, with confidence from the international double header.

Third slot would be a toss up between Jack and Arfield (assuming both fit). I'd probably favour Jack as feel he plays better alongside McCrorie and Arfield gives us a good option from the bench.

So aye - McCrorie, Jack and Davis for me.

But I think the gaffer will likely go Kamara, Jack and Arfield.

Either way, I so badly want this to be Alfie's game. The one where he finally puts these feckers to the sword, scores at least a brace and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the best player in the country by an absolute mile. Please make it so...

Jack and Arfield have been passengers for weeks, both have also struggled with injuries through out the season. Barišić probably out, Goldson hasn't kicked a ball since the 29th, the defence has also been poor of late. McCrorie out the picture for no reason what so ever, Davis hasn't performed in a Rangers jersey and Kamara was poor against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

Kamara, Arfield and McCrorie for me.

The game will bypass Davis IMO, we need McCrorie's dig and Kamara is more comfortable on the ball, more composed and has a better range of passing than Jack. He also has the ability to put his foot on the ball and calm it down when we the midfield is struggling and has fallen out the game. Arfield due to his energy, bite, ability to get forward, break into the box...

Pretty straightforward for me.

I would certainly play McCrorie & Arfield.

Only question is Jack or Kamara. As much as I far prefer Kamara, I would be likely keep it to the same 3 as last time.

McCrorie is a must for me. He's always a presence and wins 50/50's.

I favour Kamara over Jack at this moment in time.

And I'd play Davis if Arfield doesn't make it.

McCrorie should start, but he won’t. It’ll be probably the main reason we’ll lose.

Same as last time. McCrorie, Jack and Arfield.

Infact, assuming Barisic is out, the whole team should be the same as last time:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Worrall, Halliday, McCrorie, Jack, Arfield, Kent, Candeias and Morelos.

Hopefully with the exact same mentality and fighting spirit.

Bring Kamara on second half to help us keep the ball, take the sting out the game and hopefully to hold on to a lead.
I think the 4231 worked well for us as well. Hopefully we get to that pace we played at Ibrox.

It is harsh to leave out Kamara btw (though I would).

He's very composed and I don't doubt he would go there, show no fear, play with his head up and rarely lose possession.

He's probably been our best player the last 6 weeks or so.
I wouldnt, id play him and Arfield and then you can take your pick from the safe options Jack, McCrorie or Davis.

I’ll be terrified if I see the starting line up and McCrorie isn’t there.

We can forget it if he doesn’t play.

Kamara started out looking total quality-his last two appearances were dire-his form has fallen off a cliff and as such for me a massive gamble on Sunday.

It really depends who is fit-he might repeat the Ibrox line up.

My wildcard is that I've always felt Defoe could benefit from the space and counter attacking potential at the Piggery but how you get him in the team without sacrificing a bit of width is tricky.

Id probably go with:

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Worral Halliday
Jack McCrorie Arfield
Candeias Morelos Kent

Have a feeling that Kamara will play instead of McCrorie but i think it would be silly to leave Ross out
Probably close to that, and our midfield willbe run over.

Arfield jack mccrorie. Kamara has been very good since he signed but i think mccrorie has more experience in these types of games plus the fact that he has been shit hot for us any time he has played this season. Hes solid, makes good interceptions and has good pace also very capable of giving that bast@rd scott brown a sore one.

Back