Sunderland til I die Series 2 Wednesday 1/4

They are the most delusional fan base, Celtic aside, in the UK.

“We are a massive club”

No you’re not.

“Best fans in the country we are”

Your ground is about 40% full every game.

Probably along with Newcastle who fall into the trap of just because they have a big fanbase they should be in the premiership etc. In fairness, you get the impression most of their fans would just be happy to win a FA cup or league cup just to say they have seen their team win something. I have a lot of sympathy for their fans who are working class and very loyal but if they got more realistic about their situation and drop the expectation levels down it might help in the long run.

Probably along with Newcastle who fall into the trap of just because they have a big fanbase they should be in the premiership etc. In fairness, you get the impression most of their fans would just be happy to win a FA cup or league cup just to say they have seen their team win something. I have a lot of sympathy for their fans who are working class and very loyal but if they got more realistic about their situation and drop the expectation levels down it might help in the long run.

Newcastle are a far bigger club than Sunderland nd NUFC fans are right to have high expectations. Totally agree with the second part of your post though.

The NI lass should’ve been fired immediately. Toxic and lazy.

Should have been kept on, purely on the basis of being the only pumpable bird in what is evidently a city of absolute gargoyles.

Just started binging it today, on the 4th episode now. Methven is a grade A weapon, I love how you see right through him less than 5 minutes into the first episode. All the usual spiv tactics are rolled out, these include

1) profane language to seem relatable to the folks whose eyes he’s trying to pull the wool over
2) drinking pints before and after games for the same reason as above
3) talking down to existing staff
4) trying your hardest to look enthralled on match days

You could hardly blame that Maja boy for moving. Sunderland or Bordeaux? Hmmmm, tough one.

They are the most delusional fan base, Celtic aside, in the UK.

“We are a massive club”

No you’re not.

“Best fans in the country we are”

Your ground is about 40% full every game.

Not true. For the 18/19 season Sunderland's average League 1 attendance was over 32,000. That's more than 11 of the Premier League teams that season.

Agree about them having some delusional fans...although, doesn't every club? It seems like the producers of STID have gone out of their way to pick the biggest numpties they could find. Most Sunderland fans I know are very down to earth in their expectations and just want to be in the top flight, go to a game hoping to see a win and be challenging for the occasional cup.

Sunderland are a very big club domestically (not many clubs would have a chance of attracting 30,000+ for a league 1 game). They've got one of the biggest stadiums in England, an excellent training ground and a large fan base. The potential is there to be a massive club but it would take equally massive investment in the playing squad...and a complete reshuffle behind the scenes as from top to bottom they're a total cluster f*ck.

You’ve got to love the way those 2 bell ends strolled in talking about how much of a mess the club was financially and how it was a joke and clearly no one was showing any care with how they spent money. Fast forward a few months and they’re spending £3m (rising to £4m) on Will Grigg against the advice of their manager (the guy employed to make the football decisions) after being told by him that he wasn’t worth any more than £1.25m.

The marketing lassie Sophie Ashcroft) is now back at the club as Head of Marketing for the Foundation of Light, presumably the club’s charity function so make of that what you will.

Impossible to say who is right or wrong in a show edited for entertainment rather than factual presentation. However Methven is obviously a cock, irrespective of how well he did his job. As previously mentioned the whole drinking pints and swearing schtick is right out of the Charles Green playbook.

Stewart Donald took on the club when it was in an awful state financially. Bain and the previous owners spent money on useless things and players. Donald has, it looks like, got them back level financially. On the field just as bad as previous seasons.

He walked out on his wife and 4 kids for the pouty lipped blonde who is shown in series 2. She used to be a lap dancer!

Charlie Methven is lots of things that is wrong with modern football staff, bully and a cross between David Brent and Charles Green with no concept of reality.

Great viewing though!

Thought the 1st season was a lot more entertaining/interesting. Guess that's what happens with these shows, 'access' behind the scenes definitely seemed a lot more limited and controlled the 2nd time round.

Really enjoyed it. My observations:

- The Chairman Donald has strangely short arms but seems decent. His bird was a stinker.

- That posh PR twat was a total clown. The way he spoke to that NI girl when he wanted to know how many tickets they sold at half-time, so rude. Although she did seem useless tbf

- Spending 3million on Will Grigg haha, hilarious that.

- Bain spending 100k on a treatment room only he used, brilliant.

Season 2 was timid in comparison to Season 1. Donald during the Xmas deadline day looked like a kid playing Football Manager. Just checked and he's only worth 8.4m - no chance could he help that club sustain what they were doing. No wonder he's selling.

Season 2 was timid in comparison to Season 1. Donald during the Xmas deadline day looked like a kid playing Football Manager. Just checked and he's only worth 8.4m - no chance could he help that club sustain what they were doing. No wonder he's selling.
I thought the same in terms of football manager, he was trying his best and I believe his heart was in the right place but not wealthy enough.
The other spiv Charlie was a complete tosser and the whole drinking pints with the fans was so transparent it wasn’t even funny.
The Sunderland fans singing “ we are the greatest club the world has ever seen” and constantly banging on about being a huge club was laughable, they are championship at best.

Stewart Donald took on the club when it was in an awful state financially. Bain and the previous owners spent money on useless things and players. Donald has, it looks like, got them back level financially. On the field just as bad as previous seasons.

He walked out on his wife and 4 kids for the pouty lipped blonde who is shown in series 2. She used to be a lap dancer!

Charlie Methven is lots of things that is wrong with modern football staff, bully and a cross between David Brent and Charles Green with no concept of reality.

Great viewing though!

They did at least make financial improvements (suppose they had to or the club were bust). Honestly over the two seasons, Bain was the worst of the lot. Trying to pretend he cared about the club (he’s a terrible actor), when in reality he was just there to be the owners messenger and human shield, take a giant wage, make sure his expensive watch was always visible for the cameras, and hang out in a cryo-chamber. He is an absolute fraud and it’s a shame we had to put up with him for so long.

Just finished the second season, enjoyed it but preferred the first series for the ‘car crash’ nature of it.

Not got much more to add to the comments here already other than the Will Grigg ‘chase’ being total head in hands stuff albeit I can understand Donald’s desperation and while Charlie Methven is clearly an absolute tosser as a person he actually grew on me a bit.

Editing was still pretty sloppy in places, not quite as horrendous as the first season which jumped from goals at Carrow Road to crowd shots of Sunderland fans celebrating in front of red seats but certainly not a patch on the best series of this genre (usually Amazon’s All Or Nothing).

I finally took the plunge and binged season 2 yesterday.

The Chairman - Seems a decent chap, completely out of his depth. The Will Grigg chase was an embarrassment. If that was Rangers, I'd be livid at paying nearly four times what the manager valued him at. Was cringing when he was justifying to his wife about not selling the club by claiming "Ask the kids, they love me being owner" which his wife replied "if you asked the kids do they want to live in a sweetshop they'd say yes. It doesn't mean it's right"

The Chief Exec - A throbber no doubt but he was bang on about the toxic and lackadasical culture that had been allowed to fester at the club. He was fighting a losing battle from day one with sections of the staff. There was one situation where he bailed Donald out of a PR disaster - When both of them went on the fans radio show and the host was clearly trying to lead the chairman down the road of criticising Jack Ross and Will Grigg and almost suceeded. Methven, to his credit, stepped in and told the host in no uncertain terms that they weren't going to publicly call out tactics and personnel and to shut the line of questioning down.

The manager - A mixed bag really. On a personal and professional stand point, I think Ross came out of it looking really good. The players liked him and he clearly took the job seriously and gave it his all. Tactically however they really seemed to focus on his inability to get a 90 minute performance out of his team and his insistence to try hold on to slender leads than kill teams off which came to bite them on the arse. 19 draws killed them last season.

The players - Seem a decent bunch compared to the previous seasons cluster of idiots. Maja clearly had his head turned by his agent but show me a footballer who doesn't. The fact a 20 year old kid barely out of the reserves was seen as their only hope for promotion spoke more about the club than it did about him.

Last edited:

The Chairman - Seems a decent chap, completely out of his depth. The Will Grigg chase was an embarrassment. If that was Rangers, I'd be livid at paying nearly four times what the manager valued him at. Was cringing when he was justifying to his wife about not selling the club by claiming "Ask the kids, they love me being owner" which his wife replied "if you asked the kids do they want to live in a sweetshop they'd say yes. It doesn't mean it's right"

The Chief Exec - A throbber no doubt but he was bang on about the toxic and lackadasical culture that had been allowed to fester at the club. He was fighting a losing battle from day one with sections of the staff. There was one situation where he bailed Donald out of a PR disaster - When both of them went on the fans radio show and the host was clearly trying to lead the chairman down the road of criticising Jack Ross and Will Grigg and almost suceeded. Methven, to his credit, stepped in and told the host in no uncertain terms that they weren't going to publicly call out tactics and personnel and to shut the line of questioning down. 19 draws killed them last season.

The manager - A mixed bag really. On a personal and professional stand point, I think Ross came out of it looking really good. The players liked him and he clearly took the job seriously and gave it his all. Tactically however they really seemed to focus on his inability to get a 90 minute performance out of his team and his insistence to try hold on to slender leads than kill teams off which came to bite them on the arse.

The players - Seem a decent bunch compared to the previous seasons cluster of idiots. Maja clearly had his head turned by his agent but show me a footballer who doesn't. The fact a 20 year old kid barely out of the reserves was seen as their only hope for promotion spoke more about the club than it did about him.

Great post mate and agree with it all 100%.

The Chief Exec - A throbber no doubt but he was bang on about the toxic and lackadasical culture that had been allowed to fester at the club. He was fighting a losing battle from day one with sections of the staff. There was one situation where he bailed Donald out of a PR disaster - When both of them went on the fans radio show and the host was clearly trying to lead the chairman down the road of criticising Jack Ross and Will Grigg and almost suceeded. Methven, to his credit, stepped in and told the host in no uncertain terms that they weren't going to publicly call out tactics and personnel and to shut the line of questioning down.

The manager - A mixed bag really. On a personal and professional stand point, I think Ross came out of it looking really good. The players liked him and he clearly took the job seriously and gave it his all. Tactically however they really seemed to focus on his inability to get a 90 minute performance out of his team and his insistence to try hold on to slender leads than kill teams off which came to bite them on the arse. 19 draws killed them last season.

similar to this forum after one of our games then?

obviously it's heavily edited for entertainment but the criticism of jack ross from stewart donald and charlie methven seemed valid. seemed to be an awful lot of games where couldn't defend a lead. when even charlie boy sees thru you, as he did ross, it tells you a lot about the manager. and he's now at hibs. bwahaha

felt for the sunderland fans - after all, which team's supporters aren't deluded? and they set a record for a league 1 attendance, so good on them. as one said after the play-off defeat, 'why is it never us that's celebrating?'

He was massively out his depth. As Dunc says on the last page, he had rings ran round him by fan media and only his bellend of an assistant bailed him out of a PR disaster.

1 goal in 20 for Grigg, deary me.

He was massively out his depth. As Dunc says on the last page, he had rings ran round him by fan media and only his bellend of an assistant bailed him out of a PR disaster.

1 goal in 20 for Grigg, deary me.
The Grigg transfer saga illustrated why chairman shouldn't interfere in football and why otherwise sane business men should not get passionately involved in buying clubs

Especially now they’re not doing a series three of this ;)

Nothing to say about them now!

Basket case of a club.

I feel a bit sorry for their level headed fans. For the past few years their club has been nothing more than a side show for everyone else’s amusement. Yeah I got a right laugh at the programme too but I still have to feel for their fans.

Weird one this. Donald told a BBC journalist that three fans - allegedly Sunderland fans - accosted his daughter while she was waiting at the bus stop and made her take them to him. They then ended up having a "laugh" about the situation and his running of the club.

Sunderland fans seem to doubt the story. I mean, surely you'd call the police in that situation?

Just started watching this and can’t believe how good it is.

Martin Bain and the guy who keeps playing Adagio for Strings make me laugh so much.

As a ‘body language expert’ when they are discussion Maja’s transfer speculation and he’s saying a deal is nearly sorted he comes across as if he’s at it.

Cannot recommend this highly. Genuinely shocked at how much of a piss take they were/are as a club.

Back