Sunderland til I die Series 2 Wednesday 1/4

Binged on it all today. Jack Ross got let down badly by Stewart and the Charlie fella. Out their depth when came to negotiation contract extensions and signings. Ross telling Stewart that Griggs is not worth what Wigan we’re looking for says it all. Plus Charlie is an arrogant prick especially to the female staff. Don’t want to spoil it but it’s great viewing.
They had a point when it came to Maja. They didn't know why there wasn't some sort of clause to say if he made so many first team appearances then he would automatically have a year extension to protect the club losing him for next to nothing.

That first spiv in the intro scenes - Charlie Methven - trying much too hard to ingratiate himself with the locals by having every other word beginning with ‘fk’. Already gives the impression he’ll be hopelessly out his depth - far more suited to selling wedding events to fellow toffs in the Home Counties.

See they’ve kept that shite pathetic, condescending and naff theme music - pass the sick bucket
That was my first thought. That or he's staged the meeting for the cameras and the real one was far less "passionate"

Watched the first episode last night. The whole stadium music stuff was absolutely toe-curling, as was the footage of the board all watching the game. What a fucking roaster that guy Methven is.

Watched the whole series. As ever sympathies are with the fans. Charlie comes across as a piece of work. Wondered what that Italian guy’s role was??

I'm 3 episodes in - cringing every time Methven is on. Both come across as well out their depth running a football club with a turnover of millions.

He’s fantastic entertainment - just watched the first episode and can’t wait to see more of him.

His face after one of the guys said the need a PA system.

Charlie Methven

His speech over the mic to the home fans and he finished with Away the lads in his best London accent.

Brilliant

Had a quick look on the Sunderland website there and it seems Charlie Methen isn't exceutive director any more

A car crash of a club. Impatient support who demand change after a few bad results is not going to get them anywhere. Jack Ross actually had a pretty good record all things considered and what he inherited plus having to work under those two helmets . Now they have Parkinson in charge who has delivered exactly what he has done his entire managerial career.... a 33% win record.

Just watched episode 2. Charlie Methven is an absolute tosser. I hope Sophie told him to shove his job after the way he spoke to her. She came across as a nice lass with good judgement...she clearly thought he was a prick.

Obviously Charlie Methven comes across as a right Etonian Tim nice but Dim posh cock, but it does seem there was a massive malaise around the lcub and the marketting department didn't seem too motivated. Sure we have all been in work places like that were people get away with murder and the whole place becomes a bit of a morgue. About to start episode 4.

The start of episode 2 when he goes 6 points lets stick that in our back pocket and head back up north is so cringe.

Binged on the first series yesterday and quite enjoyed it despite Bain being in it often. A feckin weasel of a man.
Will start on the second series tonight.

Transfer deadline day looks stressful

Losing Maja fuked them

They clearly havent learned lessons from the last regime, 3-4 million for Grigg ffs !

Even the manager Ross said he wasn't worth more than 1.25 million

Have a bit of sympathy with Stewart Donald, you can see he is very much invested in the club. On a hiding to nothing deadline day, fair enough he paid over the odds and it blew up in his face but imagine the flak if they never brought in a striker?

The Methven guy was total marmite but I could see what he was trying to implement. When he had that staff meeting and there was no questions afterwards spoke volumes. Malaise. Encouraging departments to come up with ideas and them coming back with nothing.

Watched the whole thing last night and today and it's a good insight into some aspects of how a club is run. Donald may be slightly out of his depth but I came away from it with admiration for him.

Never really gave Sunderland a second thought before but could absolutely relate to their supporters woes.

I don’t know if it’s the editing or not but given the position there in probably not, they are fucking hopeless at being a business. Stewart Donald is obviously a decent businessman but he is a hopeless football club owner.

The marketing team were dreadful, the one who got the sack would have been sacked well before she was for her sheer negativity.

The Martin Bain wannabe loves those purple trousers

I felt nervous watching that final even though I knew they lost it

Love the emotion of these big games, seems like ages ago we had the same buzz beating them 2-1

Nothing beats it win or lose they go again.

Who was the 50k per week player they were desperate to get rid of? Cattermole would seem to fit the bill given he's been with them since the prem days.

Who was the 50k per week player they were desperate to get rid of? Cattermole would seem to fit the bill given he's been with them since the prem days.

was ex England international jack rodwell. Don’t blame him not leaving Bainjust wanting him to walk away into nothing

Sure he took a pay cut to 40k when they were relegated to league1.

Jack Rodwell would have the highest earner in League 1 but he left the club when that happened but it was in his contract that it would have happened in 2nd season after Premiership relegation a pay-cut, as you say in the other thread he was over 70k a week

As for Lee Cattermole probably had a pay cut when the club were relegated from the Premiership

Last edited:
I started watching this earlier tonight, got through the first couple of episodes.
great watch I feel so far, totally relatable to the fans in terms of clubs failures etc.
What caught me the most while watching it is how much of a dick Martin Bain is. He’s a smarmy bastard. Totally the same way on camera as in real life. And I’ve dealt with him a number of times, but watching him on screen really hit it home. Not fit to run a club. His wee sidekick on it too who left us to join Sunderland, Jacquie gourlay. They failed at rangers and failing at Sunderland.

Sunderland on the other hand, actually a decent club. A right family feel to it I think.

EDIT. The first series, once through this I’m looking forward to starting the second season.

Watched this all today.

Interesting to see how the football club is run from the inside but my god Methven is out of touch with that club.

Donald came across quite well, obviously slightly out of his depth, and really should have brought others closer with him into the club who may have possibly had experience, than who he did.

Watched all episodes over last 2 nights. Thought they could have had a few more episodes maybe related to more things like training, team talks, tactics etc.

They only really focused on a few players would have been good to see more on that too.

The owners were on a hiding to nothing. Inherited a club losing £25m and the staff not having a clue about how much things were costing or caring it seemed.

Great watch. Jack Ross sold down the river Re Maja Then to buy Grigg for nearly 4 million. Mental. Ross came across very well. Best bit was Grigg only worth 1.25 million then when it goes wrong it’s all his fault. Six times the Chairman put in bids. No comment re posh Toff Charlie. Just wish the young Ulster girl had punched him in the face.

Watched the whole series. As ever sympathies are with the fans. Charlie comes across as a piece of work. Wondered what that Italian guy’s role was??

The wee Spanish guy "what are they singing?"

Methven "we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"

Spanish guy: laughs!

Awful chant that tbf

The makers of the show really hit the jackpot last season with them getting to Wembley twice and agonisingly missing out each time. Great drama!

Watched it today

Those deadline days under Bain then Donald
No reel strategy or back ups

That Jack Rodwell is the crap side of modern day footballers

I found myself wanting Sunderland to succeed
Felt it for the fans

Especially the women at the end saying
Why is it never us celebrating

I heard that Hearts are going to be in a documentary like this they started filming at the start of the season and had AAA. Im sure I heard it on BBC sportsound

I've heard that it was Jermain Defoe's idea for the cryo chamber, maybe he used it while there and now nobody else does now!

Back