Sunderland til I die Series 2 Wednesday 1/4

I've heard that it was Jermain Defoe's idea for the cryo chamber, maybe he used it while there and now nobody else does now!

You would think that with having the chamber, the medical team would at least try to use it to see if there was any benefit from it. But they just ignored it and gave their massive lift of injured players the same treatment over and over.

I've heard that it was Jermain Defoe's idea for the cryo chamber, maybe he used it while there and now nobody else does now!
Boy at my old work from Sunderland and a big fan, been chatting with him and he said they got it for Defoe but now he’s gone no one uses it

Have a bit of sympathy with Stewart Donald, you can see he is very much invested in the club. On a hiding to nothing deadline day, fair enough he paid over the odds and it blew up in his face but imagine the flak if they never brought in a striker?

The Methven guy was total marmite but I could see what he was trying to implement. When he had that staff meeting and there was no questions afterwards spoke volumes. Malaise. Encouraging departments to come up with ideas and them coming back with nothing.

Watched the whole thing last night and today and it's a good insight into some aspects of how a club is run. Donald may be slightly out of his depth but I came away from it with admiration for him.

Never really gave Sunderland a second thought before but could absolutely relate to their supporters woes.
Agree with you about Donald mate,thought he came across as genuine,passionate and caring.

Genuinely looked like he was going to have a heart attack at Portsmouth away in the semi final 2nd leg:D

Charlie reminds me of the comedy sketch - was it Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield? - of the two posh blokes going to 'the soccer match'.

That said, he's certainly a trier. Had his work cut out with that marketing team. They looked totally disinterested.

Typical modern football - a club the beating heart of a decaying working class community spending a large part of their disposable income on their passion, and the club itself squandering millions of mis-spent cash.

I felt for Stuart Donald. Genuinely cares for the club but is in over his head trying to turn it around.

Great viewing.

Usual shite editing, Morgan in the last game crossed a ball then 2 mins later was subbed on.

Was a good watch, scary thing is these idiots will be costing clubs a fortune up and down the country

I rarely binge watch anything, but just powered through the first series of this while working from home today

It's almost perverse watching all this talk of getting back up the premiership when you know how it all ends up...

Regret ignoring this first time round

Agree, signed up to Netflix last night to watch it and saw about 3 episodes before falling asleep. I thought S1 was really good but S2 hasn’t been so far. BTW, the falling asleep was intentional as I was up at 4am for work :D

I wonder how much influence the players had in the second one as most of the focus was on the board. The only player really focussed on was the lad that seemed to spend much of his time on the bench and thought he was cool as feck cause he could spin a ball on his finger.

Usual shite editing, Morgan in the last game crossed a ball then 2 mins later was subbed on.

Was a good watch, scary thing is these idiots will be costing clubs a fortune up and down the country

On the editing, I’m sure you see the guy with the beard getting it colour sprayed in preparation for the Wembley game, then it sits to him waking up getting ready for the game. I’d had a few cans by that time so maybe it’s me

On the editing, I’m sure you see the guy with the beard getting it colour sprayed in preparation for the Wembley game, then it sits to him waking up getting ready for the game. I’d had a few cans by that time so maybe it’s me
Wasnt the best editing before the cup final it shows you the squad trading and that Maja lad is there

Delusions of grandeur from Sunderland fans about how big a club they are. Big clubs don't have that many gaps in their stadium for a start

daft logic. If Sunderland had a 100,000 all seater but only got 60,000 then there's 40,000 empty seats. Pretty shite eh? 40,000 gaps...

count the seats sold, not the empty seats.

I wonder how much influence the players had in the second one as most of the focus was on the board. The only player really focussed on was the lad that seemed to spend much of his time on the bench and thought he was cool as feck cause he could spin a ball on his finger.

The player that spent too much time on the bench was one of Sunderland's better players last season. Clever editing to create a non-story. He struggled in the first game, spent a couple of games out and then played right back (first choice) from then and hardly missed a game (52 appearances in total).

Methvins yank missus telling him to tone it down at the cup final was tv gold

the way he spoke to the girl about the attendance in the dug out in front of 45,000 people was a shambles, no self awareness whatsoever and deserved a crack for it

the way he spoke to the girl about the attendance in the dug out in front of 45,000 people was a shambles, no self awareness whatsoever and deserved a crack for it
But he was 100% right in the situation. No excuses - get a number quickly !!! She was asked twice

daft logic. If Sunderland had a 100,000 all seater but only got 60,000 then there's 40,000 empty seats. Pretty shite eh? 40,000 gaps...

count the seats sold, not the empty seats.

They could only sell 25k for a playoff game against Portsmouth. We were getting that when we were boycotting

I feel for the fans. And we know how they feel more than probably anyone else. But they are not a 'huge' club with a 'huge' support.

But he was 100% right in the situation. No excuses - get a number quickly !!! She was asked twice

whether he was right or wrong he had no right to talk to her that way in front of a stadium full of people

whether he was right or wrong he had no right to talk to her that way in front of a stadium full of people

He was talking to her 1 to 1 if he was showing off the camera then he is the fanny we all think he is

A wee marketing lassie playing with her hair in meetings

Get her to %^*& and he called he our for the lazy bone idle thick cow she was

No time for either of them but %^*& me how stupid can she get

46k isnt tin pot however like Newcastle they are a one team town

I meant the way the go on about it.

Sure, they get good attendances (if things go well), but that really is all they have.
I don't think they're more passionate than any other fanbase for starters.

Do you think the full stadium could hear him
:)

obviously not

but a hell of a lot of fans behind the dug out would have seen him angry and animated at a woman who he works with, can you imagine Dave King standing giving a employee a grilling in the technical area for a entire stadium to see?

I thought that too. As in the first series, they’re filming a player at a game in August during the day then cut to shots of him at a night match or a game during the winter - supposedly all during that same game in August.

Not majorly important to the content, but looks amateurish.

Just finished episode 3, the slick back boy is an absolute weapon however, he's got a point about the sales and marketing team, sitting about doing %^*& all and he's needing the numbers counted ASAP to announce it at half time, absolute no urgency from her.

Methven's clearly a bit of Southern plonker loving the idea that he can mingle with the working class and feel all great about himself.

However, he was bang on about that marketing lassie.

She had literally no ideas and looked like the sort of person who utterly coasts in her job and is incompetent. She was reduced to getting a beer for him as she was incapable of doing her actual job.

Take the ticket numbers at HT for example. Anyone worth their salt, knowing this was coming out weeks ahead of it happening, would have had a couple of trial runs at counting the tickets in the games leading up to it and thinking what extra steps had to be taken, if it was going to be a record crowd, to have the total in place for HT.

She did feck all of that and was reduced to scrambling about like a character from The Office.

Theres a lot to dislike about Methven but he nailed a lot of those people who were a problem at the club within 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I thought Stuart Donald came across well and got caught up in the passion of ‘supporting’ the club. Although, I’m sure the added pressure of needing to win promotion exacerbated his stress levels.

As for his naivety in the transfer market he won’t be the first or last Chairman to make a balls up of a signing.

I think Ross Jack is getting an easy ride. Yes, he said Will Grigg wasn’t worth the dough but it was still his player that he wanted. The fan on the radio station was correct to ask why RJ wanted him but failed to set up the team to get the best out of him. Unfortunately, he was asking the wrong people.

As for Charlie, as soon as he stated he was a Marketeer in the 1st episode you knew what he was all about. He seemed to do his job not too badly.

I thought both seasons were enjoyable and genuinely feel sorry for their fans.

I thought that too. As in the first series, they’re filming a player at a game in August during the day then cut to shots of him at a night match or a game during the winter - supposedly all during that same game in August.

Not majorly important to the content, but looks amateurish.

I also noticed they used the same footage twice of a fan celebrating a goal in 2 different games (he was giving the away team the vicky’s). Unless of course it’s his stock celebration for all goals :)

Agree,though she was a wee darling.

You've got lower standards than Methven and Donald when it comes to females then.

She's getting far too much of a pass on here from many simply for being an Ulster lass

She was utterly inept at her job from what we saw, even if Methven was also a prick.

Sunderland could be doing with a proper Director of Football going by that series.

An inexperienced boardroom dealing with what came across as an extremely outdated scouting set up.

Rubbish, she rightly deserved and got the sack.
They smash the record and she can’t be fcked to push for the numbers and then talks back to the boss. She was ridiculously out her depth.

I'd probably feel sorry for them if they didn't have Morgan, mcgeady and Ross in their set up. Maybe next year since mcgeady has been punted by their new manager for being a prick.

Sunderland could be doing with a proper Director of Football going by that series.

An inexperienced boardroom dealing with what came across as an extremely outdated scouting set up.
What was Tony Cotons role ? There was also another guy who seemed to be advising on talks with Maja’s agent .

I got told they offered Maja £10k a week . They should have put him on a 4 year deal at £25k . It would have got them up and failing that they would have got more than £1.5m for him at the end of the season. His value would have rocketed if they went up and he did it in championship.

I'd probably feel sorry for them if they didn't have Morgan, mcgeady and Ross in their set up. Maybe next year since mcgeady has been punted by their new manager for being a prick.

You’ll not like the video the Sunderland official Twitter account posted recently with McGuire then :)

My sympathy for them relented for them when I saw it earlier :)

What was Tony Cotons role ? There was also another guy who seemed to be advising on talks with Maja’s agent .

I got told they offered Maja £10k a week . They should have put him on a 4 year deal at £25k . It would have got them up and failing that they would have got more than £1.5m for him at the end of the season. His value would have rocketed if they went up and he did it in championship.

Maja was your typical sleekit lying football player. Bare faced bullshit to a fan at one point.

Maja was your typical sleekit lying football player. Bare faced bullshit to a fan at one point.
Agreed didn’t come across well at all but business is business and they didn’t protect their assets well enough . Ended up with an older and inferior player and up to £2.5 m out of pocket before even considering wages.

Agreed didn’t come across well at all but business is business and they didn’t protect their assets well enough . Ended up with an older and inferior player and up to £2.5 m out of pocket before even considering wages.

The previous regime ensured all the power in this case was with the player.

No need for the lies though. However, you can’t blame the boy for wanting to swap Wearside for the South-West of France :)

Rubbish, she rightly deserved and got the sack.
They smash the record and she can’t be fcked to push for the numbers and then talks back to the boss. She was ridiculously out her depth.

it isn’t rubbish atall if you take the time to read the post properly you will see I’m not talking about the girl doing her job or not, it’s already been said multiple times she was way out her depth, it’s the unprofessional manner the chairman spoke to her and waved his arms about in the technical area at half time to a female employee

it was car crash TV, what part of that do you not understand?

Back