Sunderland til I die Series 2 Wednesday 1/4

Basket case of a club and a few shame for the fans. Had to laugh when they said the checkertrade trophy would be shown all around the world .

To speak about having that many outgoings and spunk the money on Will Grigg is shocking. I had to google where they are and not doing great this season! Must be some amount of cuts going on.

Given the broadcast deals that EFL do are far better than the SPFL then yes it would shown in a number of countries around the world

Basket case of a club and a few shame for the fans. Had to laugh when they said the checkertrade trophy would be shown all around the world .

To speak about having that many outgoings and spunk the money on Will Grigg is shocking. I had to google where they are and not doing great this season! Must be some amount of cuts going on.
They were 6th this season I think and that Charlie guy left the board in December but retained his 5% stake Stewart Donald wants to sell up and expects a sale soon even with all the COVID-19 uncertainty going on

Sure he took a pay cut to 40k when they were relegated to league1.
The ‘Relegation’ clause in his contract was omitted. His 5yr deal would remain in place for the duration. It cost the club £millions in the lower leagues.

Was watching this with my son on Friday.

Called Methven right away as being an out and out bellend.

BUT

He had a job to do with a club spending £20m a year more than they had (where did their parachute payment from the EPL go to?). They said at the end that they were breaking even which was an achievement since they wasted that money on Grigg!!

The support staff were an absolute abortion and should have been heaved as soon as they took over

Was watching this with my son on Friday.

Called Methven right away as being an out and out bellend.

BUT

He had a job to do with a club spending £20m a year more than they had (where did their parachute payment from the EPL go to?). They said at the end that they were breaking even which was an achievement since they wasted that money on Grigg!!

The support staff were an absolute abortion and should have been heaved as soon as they took over

Agreed, he was spot on in his observations about the culture at the club. Lazy, uninspired, comfortable losing millions and reliant on a sugar daddy.

They could only sell 25k for a playoff game against Portsmouth. We were getting that when we were boycotting

I feel for the fans. And we know how they feel more than probably anyone else. But they are not a 'huge' club with a 'huge' support.
Season ticket holders didn't get that match for free which must have affected the numbers a fair bit.

It wasn't as entertaining as the first series.

I don't think Methven came out of it that badly. Any Executive putting themselves in front of the cameras is always going to look a bit of a dick. He wasn't as bad as Bain.

I thought the 4k football picture was excellent. Better than BT Sport.

Second series not as good as first.

Don't feel there is any need for a third :))

Cringeworthy, I currently live in Durham & alot of my friends are Sunderland fans. I even had the misfortune to attend their game with the scum a few years ago. Shocking the amount of money wasted there but I would shudder to think of a similar documentary made at Ibrox in previous years

I do feel sorry for Sunderland fans though. They have been mismanaged & these documentaries highlight that. Personally the only other team (apart from rangers)I have an affection for are Leeds United & they are in the same boat

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the way 2 rich businessmen think they are so tactically astute.
I went to the Sunderland v Pompey game that featured in the last episode where the flare was thrown from the Pompey fans into the home end. The standard of football was appalling. Charlie is just an English Martin Bain.

Given the broadcast deals that EFL do are far better than the SPFL then yes it would shown in a number of countries around the world

Yeah, that's probably right. The delusion is thinking that anybody around the world (other than ex-pat Sunderland or Portsmouth supporters) would actually bother to watch it.

Just finished the final episode, felt a bit nervous at play off final despite the fact I knew the outcome.

The way they felt at full time reminded me of several games I’ve seen us in over the past few years; Raith Rovers 2014x League Cup final in December, play off final 2005, Scottish Cup 2016 etc. Like us, they’re due some good luck.

Stewart Donald came across very well, an owner just caught up with the emotion of it all and wanted the best for the team. Loved his wife trying to talk him into selling the club and he wasn’t having any of it!

One episode in series 2 and the priest who has been in a couple of episodes says we need to get back to where we belong,the championship at best is where you belong.

Wigan played the owner like a fiddle over the Will Grigg transfer, despite the manager not being overly keen he went on to spend way over the odds. I felt sorry for the fans, I think the owner was far too naieve, you've got to worry when you see him sitting in with the fans, I get that he wanted to show her was passionate too but I think there needs to be distance.

Would love to see the documentry when Dick Advocaat was there, would have been brilliant viewing.
Amazing to see a club this size with such a shambles behind the scenes

Would be very surprised that was the case maybe McGeady as he signed a 3 deal in 2017 and later agreed a 1 extension taking him to 2020/21

He along with Lee Cattermole and Bryan Oviedo were the remaining high earners in the summer of 2018

Cattermole signed for Venlo in the Netherlands and Oviedo signed for Copenhagen last summer

McGeady is still a Sunderland player but is on loan at Charlton
Could well be they didn’t mention the player.

Yeah, that's probably right. The delusion is thinking that anybody around the world (other than ex-pat Sunderland or Portsmouth supporters) would actually bother to watch it.

You will find non fans of the actually teams may watch as strange as it sounds and given the nature of that game a final

There is plenty games on TV that people may find interesting to watch

Could well be they didn’t mention the player.

Salford City reportable offered £5k towards his wages to take him on loan in the January window and would doubt that even would touch his basic wages but I don't see £50k also I think in League 1 and 2 there is governance over FFP in the EFL so it was no surprise that club tried to off load the higher earners in Oviedo and Cattermole, McGeady went to Charlton simply because he was out of favour under Phil Parkinson

Just imagine something like that behind the scenes at us the past 10 years would make some tv but at the same time I'd be raging

I get he probably wanted nothing to do with the programme and it’s all down to editing, but Jack Ross came across as completely cold and uninspiring. A younger David Moyes.

This is what I took away from this series. Perhaps the editing was unkind but Ross came across as extremely passive on the touchline and too ‘nice’ in general.

Give me a Davie Robertson over his type any day.

Have just finished watching both series’s with my wife who was hooked even though she is a bit Mehh re football.

Thought it was very good and felt sorry for the club and fans that in the two appearances at Wembley they blew it both times.

Aiden McGeady came across as a decent guy who was trying his best in that set up.

Having also watched the Real Kashmir doc. would be interesting to see what Davie Robertson could do at Sunderland if he was given the chance.

Seeing that Charlie guy react at the Checkatrade final in Wembley shows me why I could never be involved in owning a football game in any way shape or form. I'd be sacking the manager on snap decisions like that!

He started off as an ultimate bell end but I actually thought he turned out to be an alright guy towards the end. The marketing team that were featured were chancing bastards, having a meeting, getting nothing from that meeting but to go and have another meeting. Beyond ripping the pish and there was no sympathy in seeing them hooked.

They done a good job in showing the Chefs a few times and how they might be affected by things but would have been good to see a lot more of the daily staff that makes the club work.

A good watch though.

Just finished season 2. Thought the guy Stewart Donald came across as a decent guy. Felt sorry for him in the end as he clearly cared. The other posh guy was a bit of a tosser.

The young player Luke O'Nien looked decent. Wonder if he will go onto bigger and better things.

"He's not even worth 1.25 million, definitely don't offer any more"

"We'll offer you 3 million, rising to a possible 4"

There's been 4/5 documentaries about Sunderland now.. each one involving a relegation or missing out on promotion and all superb viewing :)

20,000 empty seats for a play-off game. Not many clubs in the north of England could manage that.

Some nice little touches from Joe Aribo in the last episode.

Sunderland fans don't turn up for games not on their season ticket, that's a well known fact. They had a crowd of 7,000 at home to Gillingham in the FA Cup this season. They only opened up 1 stand.

just rattled through both seasons over the last few days and thoroughly enjoyed it, just finished Maradona in Mexico which was also a good watch , now starting Boca juniors confidential

Their fans are weirdos. Couldn't stand the daft taxi driver in it at all.

"Blah blah working-class blah blah real fans blah blah blah working-class blah blah Brexit".

The fat bloke with the STID tattoo and his mental bird were even worse. Something definitely off there.

What an absolute t@sser Charlie Methven is!

He makes Bain look like a decent, humble guy.

The bit at the start when he was berating some poor lady's front bottom from the ticket office for not knowing the interest they paid on debt was wankery of the highest order.

Just finished series 2. Not as barmy as the first but still plenty of entertainment.

That Simon Cowell wannabe seems a complete weapon. Wanted to boot my tele in the episode they were trying to sell 40k tickets and he was treating the Irish girl like something he'd just stood in.

Stewart Donald came across alot better. Far more down to earth and looked as stressed out as the fans did towards the end. Although the Will Grigg transfer was utterly ludicrous. Jack Ross telling him he's worth no more than £1.25m and he forks out over £3m. Bloody hell.

Some of the fans they picked to follow about were utter growlers. The woman on the train to the playoff final, jesus. Looked liked she hadn't been sober for about 4 years.

Back