Sunderland 'til I die

bearspaw

Way behind the curve, watched the first 4 episodes last night, all I thought was no wonder we had problems! Martin Bain is a chocolate teapot , useless, a top class demotivation expert

I actually still haven't watched this, keep meaning to. Off next week, will maybe binge it.

Martin "I'll spend £100k on a cryo-chamber that the medical staff don't want and will never use just so I can use it for my bad back" Bain.

That’s not what happened to be fair. We got the cryo-chamber under Allardyce because he loves all that sports-sciencey stuff and it was working brilliantly. We had players like Jan Kirchhoff and Younes Kaboul who had legs made of Weetabix normally, and were never injured once while the cryo-chamber was in use.

It was when we got David Moyes in it stopped being used, because that bloke was completely incompetent at every part of his job.

Quality viewing, unless you're a Sunderland supporter.
The Leeds United one on Amazon is worth a watch too.

That was mental. I'd need to watch it again but I seem to remember they offered £1m, were told no and £2m was needed, only for the guy to end up signing for £4m! I know they needed a striker but there was no plan there at all. :))
It was like watching Champ Manager unfold in real life

Currently on the 5th episode of season 2. Developing a weird liking for Charlie Methven, he's absolutely hilarious. Changing the team entrance music to Tiesto at eardrum-bursting volume levels was amazing and I just kept laughing at his "hardman target setting" session with the marketing team who all happened to be sweet, gentle north-eastern women.

Was genuinely gobsmacked at how amateur it was given the kind of money floating about.

Makes you second guess just about everything you hear in the game.

That’s not what happened to be fair. We got the cryo-chamber under Allardyce because he loves all that sports-sciencey stuff and it was working brilliantly. We had players like Jan Kirchhoff and Younes Kaboul who had legs made of Weetabix normally, and were never injured once while the cryo-chamber was in use.

It was when we got David Moyes in it stopped being used, because that bloke was completely incompetent at every part of his job.

Whats your take on the Netflix series mate?

I understand these things are edited to get viewers but I cannot see what good comes out of them.

That posh c*nt slating the managers tactics on camera is not good look.

Brilliant TV.

Charlie Methven had ‘spiv prick’ written through him like a stick of rock. The typical business man with no interest whatsoever in football but who thinks he can win over supporters by holding a pint and using bad language.

I, to my eternal shame, shook Charels Greens hand outside Ibrox before a game (Queens Park I think).

It is easy to be duped when you want to believe what they are telling you.

Sunderland fans have took a good few blows in the last few years as we did, thankfully ours wasn’t played out in front of the cameras for everyone to rip the piss.

Watched the episode with Jack Rodwell refusing to tear up his 60000pw contract. Bain was certainly not a happy man. Was Rodwell injured or was he just not arsed to play.? I didnt quite understand why he was not playing.

Watched the episode with Jack Rodwell refusing to tear up his 60000pw contract. Bain was certainly not a happy man. Was Rodwell injured or was he just not arsed to play.? I didnt quite understand why he was not playing.

He wasn't injured most of the time. He was an absolute disgrace. To think we were paying him more per year than we're going to be allowed for our whole squad this season after today's ridiculous vote by League One clubs.

Whats your take on the Netflix series mate?

I understand these things are edited to get viewers but I cannot see what good comes out of them.

That posh c*nt slating the managers tactics on camera is not good look.

I’m torn really mate. On the one hand it’s made by Sunderland fans and done a lot to highlight how big the club can be, the huge support and all that. Made us a few friends as well.

On the other hand it’s happened to coincide with the two worst seasons in our history. Not great to have a permanent reminder of this bit of our history really

Binge Watched it the other week - great viewing.

My take on the new owners (who I think have now both stood down?) was that Methven seen the opportunity to make some dosh provided they got them back up to the championship, but Stewart Donald (although being David Brent-ish at times) had the heart for it, but not the bank balance (or ability at times!)

Way behind the curve, watched the first 4 episodes last night, all I thought was no wonder we had problems! Martin Bain is a chocolate teapot , useless, a top class demotivation expert
Changed his watch about 4 times in one episode apparently

First series was tremendous viewing, second not so much but as above the Transfer deadline day stuff is amazing viewing when you see the desperation behind the scenes.

A clear example with Will Grigg of pride over sense and at a level of business where it was outrageously incompetent. He just handed over stupid money because he couldn't bear to not complete the deal. A class A mug.

Currently on the 5th episode of season 2. Developing a weird liking for Charlie Methven, he's absolutely hilarious. Changing the team entrance music to Tiesto at eardrum-bursting volume levels was amazing and I just kept laughing at his "hardman target setting" session with the marketing team who all happened to be sweet, gentle north-eastern women.

That meeting about the change of music :)) They out-officed, the Office

First series was tremendous viewing, second not so much but as above the Transfer deadline day stuff is amazing viewing when you see the desperation behind the scenes.

A clear example with Will Grigg of pride over sense and at a level of business where it was outrageously incompetent. He just handed over stupid money because he couldn't bear to not complete the deal. A class A mug.

And then threw Jack Ross under a bus on live radio for getting a player he obviously didn’t rate that much.

That Will Grigg episode.

Incompetence on an industrial scale. I sat there with my jaw almost on the floor.

Paid off and n the long run, he’s now scored a whopping 5 goals in 40 appearances for them :D

Last edited:
Back