Sunderland v Charlton Ath

What a game that was in 98. I went with a Mackem mate and it was so good but heartbreaking. Mendonca from Sunderland with a hat-trick and then the pens. Very quiet on the way back to Leicester where we lived then.

Massive one for my second love this afternoon in the Championship play off. Hope to fuuck its not 98 all over again. Trip to the boozer for this one. Play-offs are a bastard to watch.
Yeah massive one about time we got a bit of luck at Wembley

Couldn't get time off otherwise I would have been there was hoping we would be going up automatically.

Mate’s entire family headed off from Hebburn at 7.30am. Absolutely gutted I can’t be with them :( (curse on my work not giving us the bank holiday). Long overdue a wee bit of luck at Wembley. HA’WAY THE LADS !! :)):))

Was at Wembley arena for a gig last night, place was swarmed with Sunderland supporters. Quite a few of them out and about with carry outs at 10 this morning. Fun day ahead!

A lot of folk on here will know "Sunderland Billy" from the Grapes.

He's a fellow member of the Govan Somme Association and a right good Loyalist.

He travelled down to Fratton Park in the last round and he's down at Wembley today.

No axe to grind with Charlton, proper club and decent supporters, but I hope for Billy's sake the Mackems triumph.

Was at Wembley arena for a gig last night, place was swarmed with Sunderland supporters. Quite a few of them out and about with carry outs at 10 this morning. Fun day ahead!

I was in London down visiting my aunt who lived in Hendon back in 1998 and remember the Sunderland fans being everywhere around North London back then. They’d taken over for miles around Wembley and it was the first I’d really come across or ever thought of them as a big club as they hadn’t played in the top flight during my time on earth until that point

Club with a huge support - maybe not as loyal as ourselves and going by that Netflix doc they don’t seem to be the sharpest tools in the box - but they gave the bheggars a doing a couple years ago so good luck to them. Sadly they are playing a team with another decent loyalist core to their support so I’m ambivalent who should win today. Just hope it’s the same level of excitement as the 1998 classic

C'mon the Addicks.

First time I heard their nickname, I genuinely thought that there was a team from South East London known as the addicts.

It's a shame I mis-heard. The marketing opportunities for a tie-in with Hibs would have been massive.

A lot of folk on here will know "Sunderland Billy" from the Grapes.

He's a fellow member of the Govan Somme Association and a right good Loyalist.

He travelled down to Fratton Park in the last round and he's down at Wembley today.

No axe to grind with Charlton, proper club and decent supporters, but I hope for Billy's sake the Mackems triumph.
I was good mates with Billy for years, we both from Sunderland, i know him and his family well, took me all over europe on the Grapes bus and allways looked after me, havent seen too much of him these last few years but allways look out for him in the Grapes...

Lee Bowyer has done a very good job at Charlton ......... not fussed either way hope its a good game
I've seen a lot of league one this season and i'd say Charlton are probably the best side i've seen and Lyle Taylor the best player. For me its a real 50/50 today, think a lot will depend on who handles the occasion better.

I was good mates with Billy for years, we both from Sunderland, i know him and his family well, took me all over europe on the Grapes bus and allways looked after me, havent seen too much of him these last few years but allways look out for him in the Grapes...

He's still going strong mate.

He's a top lad and has a great sense of humour.

Need Charlton and Villa for 180 quid, had them and tranmere to win the play offs

I put a £5 blind bet on Sunderland and St Mirren based on who I would like to win.

I have saw nothing of all 4 teams. What’s everyone’s predictions?

I put a £5 blind bet on Sunderland and St Mirren based on who I would like to win.

I have saw nothing of all 4 teams. What’s everyone’s predictions?

I fancy St Mirren, but no real idea of the other game pal.

You watching any of the games mate?

I'm heading down the Grapes about 4pm, as there's a decent band on, but I'm working at the election count for the Scottish Conservatives up here at 9pm.

Will watch the first half at Paisley on TV before driving down to KP.

What a game that was in 98. I went with a Mackem mate and it was so good but heartbreaking. Mendonca from Sunderland with a hat-trick and then the pens. Very quiet on the way back to Leicester where we lived then.
watched it on sky was it not 4-4 be4 pks is still the best ever play off and no team deserved to loose imo

Love to see the Addicks back up the leagues again, used to go and watch then fairly regularly when I lived in London. Great club that's been through the mill over the past few years.

Reactions: DA9
Get into those mackem bastards Charlton! 3v1 to the plucky boys from laaaaandan is my prediction but any win will do.
Strange one from a Durham lad :)

Met a few Mackems the last few weeks while on holiday and none are 'confident' of winning today. Hoping, yes. One even says McGayday is the only player they have capable of playing championship level.

Would quite like to see Sunderland go up. Knew Jack Ross in a previous life and he’s a really decent lad. Good coach by all accounts.

Would never have pegged Bowyer as a manager. Always came across as a complete simpleton. Mind you John Hughes has carved out a ‘career’ of sorts in management, so probably doesn’t go for much.

Must say as much as the keeper made an arse of that, the defender should not be passing back between the sticks. As a pro youth keeper, everyone was always taught when passing back to the keeper to pass it wide of either post to stop something like that happening.

C'mon the Addicks.

First time I heard their nickname, I genuinely thought that there was a team from South East London known as the addicts.

It's a shame I mis-heard. The marketing opportunities for a tie-in with Hibs would have been massive.
Seemingly after a game the players got a fish tea and if they win they got Haddock (addick) and if they lose or draw they got Cod which was cheaper

Dylan McGeouch has barely kicked a ball for Sunderland this season, I thought he'd do really well down there. Imagine Hibs will be back in for him this summer.

Back