Support reactions to famous victories then compared to now?

Dick Donner

Seeing the crowd reactions when Lundstrum scored and the final whistle against Leipzig. I genuinely feel fans emotions are stronger and more excitable now than they've ever been.

Seeing the faces on the crowd for instance after Laudrup scored to secure 9 in a row had nothing on the Leipzig game.

Maybe because of where we've come to get to this point but, does anyone else feel the emotions of the support are stronger now than they were before?

Seeing the crowd reactions when Lundstrum scored and the final whistle against Leipzig. I genuinely feel fans emotions are stronger and more excitable now than they've ever been.

Seeing the faces on the crowd for instance after Laudrup scored to secure 9 in a row had nothing on the Leipzig game.

Maybe because of where we've come to get to this point but, does anyone else feel the emotions of the support are stronger now than they were before?
The current generation of Rangers supporters are the best lot ever in my lifetime.

I have been supporting the club since the sixties and that is my firm opinion.
The younger supporters are also better behaved than previous generations.
However, there is still work to be done in this respect, but overall they are fiercely loyal, respectful, well educated in the club's history and traditions, and despite the voracious desire of the MSM to paint the behavior negatively, our young supporters and the support overall are a credit to the club.

The prevelance of social media makes it seem that way. The reaction v Bayern Munich in 1972 was every bit as wild.
Indeed, Sir, was an earthquake in Wine Alley that night when we scored.

That's not to detract from Thursday night, it was very special indeed.

Last edited:
Given what we've been through in recent years, it's highly likely.

Incidentally, I think the songs these days makes for a better atmosphere overall. I know a lot of the traditionalists won't agree but that Adriam Durham video of the Broomloan absolutely bouncing to the John Lundstram song was just superb.
Yes exactly. Songs about performance's and players in general are better than singing about some guy who lives in a castle in Rome

If we had social media earlier I can assure you it would be every bit as wild. Me live streaming from the pitch at Pittodrie in 1987 would get me a billion likes on youtube and thousands of twitch followers. Then Airdrie and tannadice, ahh happy days. Ibrox against the sheep twice ffs. We went fucking mental, don't worry.

I was hugging and jumping all over strangers at every goal and FT, definitely was bedlam.

60hr+ later pal and I’m still buzzing and singing …ooh Baby do you know what’s it’s worth…….
And yes he is unequivocally the Best on Earth.

I was born in 75 so a bit before my time but what was the feelings of the support building up to the final?
Brilliant all the planing etc. In those days no flexi holidays I had to take 4 days leave of absence. Also had to get a passport never been abroad before we all got the 1year passport from the post office. Spent 2 days in Callela and travelled through to Barcelona on the night. It cost £44 including flights,hotel,transfers and ticket for the game. We all had a brilliant time apart from the cops trying to split our heads open.

It's the greatest ever as far as I am concerned. It felt spiritual due to the passing of Jimmy Bell. Dynamo Kiev was special, but his was another level with what was at stake

A lot of the fans there on Thursday will regard all this as new to them.

Boys at 16, 17 maybe even early 20s will have never saw us have success like this til we got 55. The buzz around the place is amazing, our supporters are second to none and our ultras are one of the best groups in Northern Europe, but a large number of the regular attendees outwith these guys will never have been involved in anything like it.

It's the greatest ever as far as I am concerned. It felt spiritual due to the passing of Jimmy Bell. Dynamo Kiev was special, but his was another level with what was at stake

I was only 7 at Dynamo Kiev and it was probably the one that lived with me as the best until fairly recently.

Marseille equaliser was up there too.

Brilliant all the planing etc. In those days no flexi holidays I had to take 4 days leave of absence. Also had to get a passport never been abroad before we all got the 1year passport from the post office. Spent 2 days in Callela and travelled through to Barcelona on the night. It cost £44 including flights,hotel,transfers and ticket for the game. We all had a brilliant time apart from the cops trying to split our heads open.
Wow

Back