Article Surplus Cash?

Is there any source for any of these figures?

Seems like a huge number of assumptions with nothing to back it up and no explanations of where most of the numbers came from.

UEFA state that Group stage qualification for the EL is 3.6m EUR and CL is 15.6m EUR, so where is 7.2m coming from?

This also doesn't seem to include TV revenue which is a substantial amount.

Seems like a huge number of assumptions with nothing to back it up and no explanations of where most of the numbers came from.

UEFA state that Group stage qualification for the EL is 3.6m EUR and CL is 15.6m EUR, so where is 7.2m coming from?

I assumed, likely incorrectly, that it was the money paid immediately.

The author, like me and others has his sources (mostly simply asking for info) and I believe them to be accurate.

Biggest problem for me is the money we have spent has largely been on players that are making no impact, that has to change quickly or it will be considered a very poor transfer window again.

I don’t have an issue with how we are being run financially although communication has to improve considerably and not just a few interviews ahead of the AGM

If that’s the case and EL isn’t much different from CL, why was Robertson running his mouth on the importance of CL and us being in a position to build?

This also doesn't seem to include TV revenue which is a substantial amount.

Includes the parachute. So its a load of shite. Its only applicable if we had been knocked out in the Champions League playoff round

Includes the parachute. So its a load of shite. Its only applicable if we had been knocked out in the Champions League playoff round
After conferring with the author - £7.3m includes the parachute payment from CL play off round which is what is budgeted.

Player trading refers to cash received in 22/23 for players traded in the latest window.

Heart & Hand have just released an interview with Bisgrove, might be some answers in that.

After conferring with the author - £7.3m includes the parachute payment from CL play off round which is what is budgeted.

Player trading refers to cash received in 22/23 for players traded in the latest window.

Tbf to whoever wrote it - they didnt try to hide it. Its annotated next to the figure.

The surplus highlighted in the analysis has been earmarked for infrastructure projects - right?

Does this mean there is no spare cash?

CL qualification isn't as vital now with the cabal nicking more of the money. Personally I think our team would develop more in the EL but I understand the achievement of playing in the CL this season since our demotion in 2012. We have been unlucky with the draw as well, 3 crack teams.

If Rangers get knocked out in QR3 like against Malmö that parachute payment wouldn't be included in the Europa league money so it shouldn't be included as guaranteed income.

CL qualification isn't as vital now with the cabal nicking more of the money. Personally I think our team would develop more in the EL but I understand the achievement of playing in the CL this season since our demotion in 2012. We have been unlucky with the draw as well, 3 crack teams.
Unfortunately we didn't draw three teams on crack. Things might have been soooo different.

Which cabal is this?

No - it means we have more cash from European playing and player trading.

The writer said below after his explanation of his analysis so I concluded we had no spare cash -

The balance of the surplus has probably been earmarked for infrastructure projects primarily Edmiston House and Blue Sky lounge (total cost of circa £14m partially offset by third party, sponsor and fan contributions of £8m)

CL qualifcation was needed to lift the club to the next level, now qualifying for it doesn't really make any/much difference.

Hillarious.

I think the parachute payment was an assumption that only applied to the budget and was not included in the actual numbers.

If we don’t have a pot to piss in after a europa league final , champs league cash and ticket sales as well as 45 million(12 up front)in staff sales. Then when will we have a surplus to buy players. People are also forgetting bisgrove declared last season he doubled our sponsorship income.

Regardless I’m guessing all that puts us on a sound financial footing which is all we want at the end of the day.

If we don’t have a pot to piss in after a europa league final , champs league cash and ticket sales as well as 45 million(12 up front)in staff sales. Then when will we have a surplus to buy players. People are also forgetting bisgrove declared last season he doubled our sponsorship income.

Regardless I’m guessing all that puts us on a sound financial footing which is all we want at the end of the day.
I never got that argument. We only got £12m up front but we also know we have cash coming in to cover future instalments of transfer fees we have to pay. We could still have reinvested that cash in the playing squad.

I never got that argument. We only got £12m up front but we also know we have cash coming in to cover future instalments of transfer fees we have to pay. We could still have reinvested that cash in the playing squad.

Absolutely. It's a pitiful excuse to be honest only including up front income received. The remaining money to be received from transfers will be on the balance sheet as deferred revenue.

CL qualifcation was needed to lift the club to the next level, now qualifying for it doesn't really make any/much difference.

Hillarious.
Rewards in the Champions League these days are more influenced by th 10 year coefficient and points gained in the groups stages.

TV Money from CL?
Bassey £20+ million - doesn't matter how the deal is structured it's £20 million coming into the club that we obviously didn't budget for.

Those 2 are just for starters.

You don't need surplus cash to bring players into the club - you simply structure the payments the same way our big money transfers seem to have been done.

£6.9m between CL and EL based on that calculation which seems reasonable however there has been a few assumptions made. Looks like they have assumed 7 points in EL and 3 points in CL. I would suggest 7 would be a minumum in EL and 3 a maximum in CL so you could potentially be taking £2.4m off the £6.9m difference.

There would also most likely be further bonus payments and another gate if we got the minimum 7 points meaning the gap closes further.

Based on this information, it would appear the gap between the CL group stages and making a knockout round of the EL is less than £4m.

If this is the case i'd take being competitive in the Europa League every season.

Last edited:
If we don't have any money now, after a European final, qualifying for the champions league, Gerrard, Patterson, Aribo and Bassey all leaving and record ticket sales for 2 years, is there any scenario at all in which we will have in future?

Surely then, we are only a couple of poor transfer windows of boxing ourselves into a corner in terms of spending low fees on players that won't cut it?

If we don't have any money now, after a European final, qualifying for the champions league, Gerrard, Patterson, Aribo and Bassey all leaving and record ticket sales for 2 years, is there any scenario at all in which we will have in future?

Surely then, we are only a couple of poor transfer windows of boxing ourselves into a corner in terms of spending low fees on players that won't cut it?
We've been over-investing in players to get to this point. Incredible as it may seem - but the figures for employing even average players are eye-watering.

We've been over-investing in players to get to this point. Incredible as it may seem - but the figures for employing even average players are eye-watering.
Is this as good as it gets then? I get that 20 years ago 5m bought you Numan, these days it buys you Ridvan but is there no scope to push the boat out for quality? Because the talent pool will only get shallower both in terms of players, and the people whose job it is to identify them.

I appreciate where we have come from, I know the days of fivers and tenners isn't coming back and there's relatively little money coming into Scottish football but if we had any intention of ever investing in the team, surely it would have been now? We might not have another financial year like this for a decade.

There's another team in Glasgow that have spent 50m in 18 months. How do we compete with that with project players? Do we now accept 3 or 4 year cycles for a team to mature?

Is this as good as it gets then? I get that 20 years ago 5m bought you Numan, these days it buys you Ridvan but is there no scope to push the boat out for quality? Because the talent pool will only get shallower both in terms of players, and the people whose job it is to identify them.

I appreciate where we have come from, I know the days of fivers and tenners isn't coming back and there's relatively little money coming into Scottish football but if we had any intention of ever investing in the team, surely it would have been now? We might not have another financial year like this for a decade.

There's another team in Glasgow that have spent 50m in 18 months. How do we compete with that with project players? Do we now accept 3 or 4 year cycles for a team to mature?
Win more games and watch the money build up over time.

Win more games and watch the money build up over time.
It's a double edged sword though? Invest in the team equals better performance in Europe and bigger players sales which equals more money?

I know it's early days for the new signings and I'm not sure if our current issues are player related anyway but we haven't spent any money on a nailed on starter since Helander.

Back