Surprise Leckie article! Criticises Celtic fan violence and intimidation and doesn't mention Rangers.

The Celtic Way.

An ironic setting for the squalid, shameful scenes that had riot cops scrambling and players fleeing last Sunday night.

After all, isn’t The Celtic Way meant to be about style, about grace, about looking after those under the greatest pressure? Isn’t it meant to be about charity?

That’s what we’ve always been told. They even erected a statue of Brother Walfrid outside the main stand as a permanent reminder of all these values and more.

Yet in the midst of a first poor run of form in ten long years, it all appears to have gone…well, I was about to write out the window, but in truth it feels like the more fitting image is that of a crush barrier smashing against the glass.

Because today, The Celtic Way has been hijacked by a vigilante mob whose watchwords are intimidation, intolerance and violence — storming the stadium after this latest defeat, attacking police, forcing all inside to flee through side doors.

Bullying a manager with a history of mental illness. That last one, that’s the truly disgusting bit. The fact Neil Lennon has been so brave and so honest in speaking up about his own deeply personal issues.

The fact he’s laid himself bare to try and help others cope with what’s going on in their own heads — and yet, he’s currently coming in for the sort of targeted abuse that can cause untold psychological damage.

Not that the vigilantes give a toss. All they care about is ten in a row, this mythical achievement which has robbed thousands of their senses, of their perspective, and their basic decency.

All they know is that anyone whose imperfections threaten to deny them what they see as their right should have their character torn limb from limb.

Well, I don’t care if they are right and that Lennon should be sacked. I don’t care if they are right when they claim he should never have been hired in the first place.

But I do care, very much indeed, that their means of getting what they want is a never-ending campaign of verbal abuse that has morphed into physical threats.

Especially when they then justify their own appalling behaviour by claiming they have no option.

That’s how it reads on social media at least, that what happened in the wake of Celtic’s 2-0 home defeat to Ross County in the Betfred Cup was the fault of the club’s board for not listening to the fans, and emptying the dugout after the 4-1 loss away to Sparta Prague.

So, is THAT The Celtic Way?

Do what we say or we’ll tear the place down? Wield the axe when we click our fingers, or we’ll haul Big Billy off his plinth like Saddam?

I’m guessing that, for nine out of ten diehards, these attitudes are abhorrent.

I’m guessing nine out of ten will be way more sick at how their colours are being dragged through the mud than they are at a rank rotten run of results.

Yes, many of them will also want a change of manager. Yes, many of them will also be gutted that the Blessed Ten is slipping away. But most will also be capable of understanding they have no more of a right to success than they have to employ mayhem as a reaction to failure.

Trouble is, it’s the one out of ten who have the loudest voice these days. It’s the one out of ten who hog everyone’s attention.

It’s the one out of ten who Peter Lawwell, below, and Lennon himself, have helped elevate above the herd, who now believe themselves to occupy a higher tier than common-or-garden punters.

They get their own designated corner of Parkhead. They get to stand when everyone else has to sit. They get the league trophy placed in front of them on presentation day.

So who’s surprised that, like all spoiled children, they have developed such an overwhelming sense of entitlement? That they commandeer whatever section of away grounds they fancy, whether or not fellow fans have paid to sit there?

That they revel in getting Celtic in trouble with their pyrotechnics and pseudo-political banners?

That they have the brass neck to use Parkhead as the backdrop for publicity stunts demanding Lennon Must Go?

Who’s really surprised that they see what panned out last Sunday as some sort of duty to the badge, that they regard themselves as the only ones who truly care?

As it pans out, of course, the truly laughable aspect of their outrage is had they stayed home, Lennon WOULD most probably be gone by now.

The word coming out of Parkhead is the board were ready to act, until it all kicked off and they decided not to make it look as though they were pandering to mob mentality.

Done in by their own self- importance. How brainless can some people get?

But even if Lawwell and Dermot Desmond let the dust settle and then announce Lennon’s gone, which, for me, wouldn’t necessarily be the right call, because it’s shoddy recruitment more than poor coaching which has landed them in the mire.

The truth is that it will only mask the real issue facing a troubled club. Which is that these vigilantes and their outrage when the world doesn’t roll over at their feet are damaging The Celtic Way far more than a chronic inability to defend set-pieces.

Values? Really?

Ask Gordon Wood what he thinks of Celtic values

He still puts them on a pedestal when writing that, and hardly outright condemnation of the GB, i do not even think he mentioned them by name.
2/10 must do better.
I can imagine the hatchet job that would have been done on us if it was roles reversed.

01-faint.gif

"It's ok mate he doesn't mention Rangers!"

The rush to portray the Blessed Lenny of the Tobacco Stained Teeth as the innocent victim in all aspects of this has been unsurprising to say the least. When one walks away with zero reprecussions from threatening more than one women or receive any negative press from their poodles in the press on the back of it I suppose we shouldn't expect that, god forbid, he might get the mearest hint of criticism in his management style from them either.

"Poor recruitment has cost them instead of poor coaching" Really ? So who is asking Shane Duffy to play a high line and play the ball out from the back ? Nicky Hammond ? Who okayed the signing of the Greek Ally Maxwell ? Who signed off on the £5m striker who looks to have chucked it already ? Poor wee Neic had nothing to do with it. You have to feel for him, desperate for the tainted 10 and big bad Celtic have gave him over £30m+ to spunk on bog standard bang average footballers in the space of 18 months. How could they treat this wonderful man like this ?

Don't kid yourselves, If he wasn't "talented" enough (don't laugh) to be in their dugout, he'd be probably be alongside those goons holding up the pish stained bed sheets & singing their despicable songs. We've all saw the photo - the bold Lenny sittting their with a huge grin on his face as the reprobate next to him hides his face and pretends to hold a rifle in his air. Ha, ha, ha what an absolute hoot, eh Neic ?

Especially when they then justify their own appalling behaviour by claiming they have no option.
I wondered why the above statement from the article came jumping out at me.

It reminded me of Ardoyne,Drumcree,Lyra McKee etc

Theyve learned off their peers ,they’ve went unchallenged by their buddies in media and politics ,some of whom have openly supported Irish republican terrorists

if you get told violence is ok then surely the rest is inevitable

Vigilante Mob = Groin Brigade
Green Brigade = Celtic Supporters

The Green Brigade are not a franchise of the Celtic Support they are the Celtic Support ,just like it just wasn’t the Green Brigade who caused all the bother on Sunday night.The Green Brigade have the blessings (pun intended) of Peter Lawell to do as they please at Celtic Park the only reason they are still given carte blanche to do what they want is they are a convenient scapegoat when incidents on Sunday night occur it’s so transparent.

The pack of rhats that rampaged round the piggery are termed as the “minority” but in truth they are representative of the “majority’s” values. The whole lot are tarred with the same brush as Phil 3 names and despite one or two of our posters saying they know the odd decent one these decent ones could almost be counted on the fingers of two hands (12 that is for them). As has been said the mentally challenged mask hides their true feelings but now and again it slips for each and every one. It could be said that last Thursday’s rioters were most honest of the breed and for that should receive Leckie’s praise.

"They even erected a statue of Brother Walfrid outside the main stand as a permanent reminder of all these values and more"

They sure did and they sure do Bill :mad:

Oh, and yes Bill. The "Celtic way" has long been everything you mentioned and more. Obsessing about religion, obsessing about a club that apparently died. Demanding a title they didn't win during a pandemic. Asking for titles to be stripped and awarded to them - more titles they never won. Causing a referee strike over a correct decision. Propagating far fetched conspiracy theories about masons denying them titles. Physically assaulting a referee for giving their rivals a penalty. Covering up paedophila and harassing anyone brave enough to come forward with their story. Collectively calling anyone who has the audacity to ask for an inquiry a sectarian bigot. Collecting money for the IRA, and have players attending funerals for murderers. Having to issue letters questioning the basic hygiene of supporters.
Exactly. The Scottish media have played a massive part in all of this but it will never be mentioned.

The Celtic way is being given titles they havn,t won. Covering up child abuse, bigotry. Tax dogging .feel free to add to the list.

He couldnt even call the green brigade out by name. What a shitebag.

Oh, and yes Bill. The "Celtic way" has long been everything you mentioned and more. Obsessing about religion, obsessing about a club that apparently died. Demanding a title they didn't win during a pandemic. Asking for titles to be stripped and awarded to them - more titles they never won. Causing a referee strike over a correct decision. Propagating far fetched conspiracy theories about masons denying them titles. Physically assaulting a referee for giving their rivals a penalty. Covering up paedophila and harassing anyone brave enough to come forward with their story. Collectively calling anyone who has the audacity to ask for an inquiry a sectarian bigot. Collecting money for the IRA, and have players attending funerals for murderers. Having to issue letters questioning the basic hygiene of supporters.

When I hear about "the Celtic way" all of that is what I think of. Its most certainly not style and grace.
Nails it. You win the Internet.

Will the wee mentally challenged bigot take back the trophy he donated to the 19th Century Terrorist army. Tims in turmoil reap what you sew scum

Creepy wee man is Leckie....a supposed Stboo fan his tongue is firmly planted between big peeturs cheeks

He couldnt even call the green brigade out by name. What a shitebag.

When I hear about "the Celtic way" all of that is what I think of. Its most certainly not style and grace.

Here, here.

Green Brigade = Celtic Supporters

The Green Brigade are not a franchise of the Celtic Support they are the Celtic Support ,just like it just wasn’t the Green Brigade who caused all the bother on Sunday night.The Green Brigade have the blessings (pun intended) of Peter Lawell to do as they please at Celtic Park the only reason they are still given carte blanche to do what they want is they are a convenient scapegoat when incidents on Sunday night occur it’s so transparent.
That's an excellent point! "It's not REAL Celtic fans. It's the Green Brigade, they're a tiny minority who don't represent the club and are just teenage neds."
Obvious bull shampoo!

Enough to give you the fuckin boak'''

"isn’t The Celtic Way meant to be about style, about grace, about looking after those under the greatest pressure? Isn’t it meant to be about charity?"
In fairness, I took that as a dig at their fanciful claims rather than praising them.

He is still a prick though.

One in ten my bahooky. They are all scum. People like leckie and the rest of the scottish msm encouraged the behaviour of these wankers. As did ginger teeth and lawwell. As ye sow, so shall you reap.

In the current climate where Scottish football is trying to recover from an all time low any positive in our game should be praised and highlighted.
Over 3 weeks ago Rangers drew away from home against a Benfica side who compete every year in the CL, a club who had spent £100m on players this year alone.
Rangers played magnificently and almost pulled off the away win, the draw itself though was a great result not only for Rangers but for Scottish football.
In his column Leckie had nothing to say about it.
Rangers in the return game again had to settle for the draw after holding a two goal lead. Frustrating for Rangers and our supporters but far from the end of the world.
Leckie then sticks the boot into us in his next column. Seriously, come on, Rangers sit top of the group, where are Scotlands other European representative's ?
This type of targeted bitter journalism wants me to see every print newspaper in Scotland go out of business and close.
Its coming close to 9 years since i have paid for a newspaper and thats as a guy who bought one all my working days since being an apprentice in the 80s.
As much as Leckie and the like are bitter towards Rangers i take pride in the fact i have gone so long taking a stand against them.

A step in the right direction not including us in the mhanky meltdown from his point of view.

But, as others have written He's still a Prick.

Latest posts

Back