Sutton on his favourite team

Sydneyger65

CELTIC are preparing for wage cuts as they take the first big step towards protecting themselves against a massive coronavirus hit.

Next thing we heard is the SFA are doing the same. Surely Rangers have to follow suit shortly.

Unless Dave King left a giant pile of money as big as the gaping hole in football’s finances as he walked out of the door the Ibrox hierarchy have to be making a similar move.

If they aren’t, they must be the richest club in Europe and we just didn’t know it.

When Neil Lennon was asked the question about following the lead of Hearts in terms of clubs looking at wage cuts, it was not in the least bit surprising the manager confirmed it was on the cards.

Celtic have strong revenue in the bank but no one can just brush this coronavirus crisis off.

Harsh realities have to be faced and brutal decisions have to be taken.

This has to happen all over Scotland and all over the footballing universe.

When you hear Lionel Messi saying Barcelona’s squad are happy to take cuts in the current climate – and that even a club as big as that can’t withstand the shrapnel from the coronavirus explosion – you know this is serious.

It’s not just happening in Spain. In Italy, Juventus have gone down the same road. In France, it is mega-rich PSG who are leading the way with cuts and Bayern Munich, one of the original super clubs, are having to cut their cloth accordingly in Germany.

I am not daft. I do realise Messi and his team-mates at the Nou Camp or any of the guys at these bigger outfits aren’t going to miss a mortgage payment or be unable to pay their gas bill because they take a cut.

These guys are millionaires. It is professionals lower down the chain who are going to have to feel the real force of this. It is going to cause problems paying those bills and that rent or mortgage. No one is safe.

Now, I don’t profess to have any clever line into the finances of Rangers. I don’t know the exact figures of what they have and what they don’t.

But in November last year the club announced losses of £11.3million, revealed they needed a fresh cash injection of more than £10m to get to the end of the season and confirmed King and Douglas Park had converted a staggering £35m in soft loans into shares over the past 18 months.

So I can safely assume they simply do not have enough cash in the bank to just ride this out for six months as if it’s a couple of matches lost due to a waterlogged pitch.

It is not that long ago Rangers had a financial meltdown and ended up down the leagues.

That came about through blatant mismanagement and not doing things properly when situations arose.

That’s not just my opinion, that’s a fact given the way things turned out with the administration.

Hearts had similar problems and went close to the edge when finances fell apart under Vladimir Romanov.

Their supporters and Ann Budge managed to save the day and it was noticeable that, when this current situation started to unfold, she was the first one to come out with a definitive strategy.

Now not everyone would agree with the way she went about it. It was savage and ruthless and that did not court favour with a lot of people at the time.

But looking back, Budge was probably right. This is not a time for half-measures. The coronavirus pandemic is going to have a hugely damaging effect on the finances of all sports and she was first on the case.

It had to be severe and it was. Aberdeen were next to make their announcements about a black hole of £5m with no football right now and Hibs have taken steps to discuss deferrals.

I don’t want to see anyone have their pay cut but these are the facts of life at the moment. It’s going to happen to just about everyone in all businesses and any walk of life so football cannot ignore this fact.

The Premier League are clinging on to some hope they can get the season finished, yet it’s highly unlikely.

I’m convinced more clubs will have to follow the lead of Newcastle and start cuts when they face the reality. By close of business yesterday talks about deferrals had gotten underway.

Budge acted instantly in a manner which ensured her club was not going back to the bad old days and it is inconceivable the rest of the clubs who have not yet confirmed wage cut talks won’t do the same.

Clubs such as Kilmarnock and Motherwell are well run now but this is nothing we have ever seen before.

Maybe there is a prestige about it, a chest-out attitude, a show of defiance for those who haven’t done it yet to make it look as though this pandemic won’t affect us, we’re too strong.

It is not a sign of weakness to accept these cuts are going to have to happen.

But it is a sign of playing a very risky financial game if you do not.

As tough as it may be to tell their employees, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and others are doing the right thing to look at implementing cutbacks.

I find it inconceivable bordering on reckless that Rangers won’t do the same thing.

CELTIC are preparing for wage cuts as they take the first big step towards protecting themselves against a massive coronavirus hit.

Next thing we heard is the SFA are doing the same. Surely Rangers have to follow suit shortly.

Unless Dave King left a giant pile of money as big as the gaping hole in football’s finances as he walked out of the door the Ibrox hierarchy have to be making a similar move.

If they aren’t, they must be the richest club in Europe and we just didn’t know it.

When Neil Lennon was asked the question about following the lead of Hearts in terms of clubs looking at wage cuts, it was not in the least bit surprising the manager confirmed it was on the cards.

Celtic have strong revenue in the bank but no one can just brush this coronavirus crisis off.

When you hear Lionel Messi saying Barcelona’s squad are happy to take cuts in the current climate – and that even a club as big as that can’t withstand the shrapnel from the coronavirus explosion – you know this is serious.

It’s not just happening in Spain. In Italy, Juventus have gone down the same road. In France, it is mega-rich PSG who are leading the way with cuts and Bayern Munich, one of the original super clubs, are having to cut their cloth accordingly in Germany.

I am not daft. I do realise Messi and his team-mates at the Nou Camp or any of the guys at these bigger outfits aren’t going to miss a mortgage payment or be unable to pay their gas bill because they take a cut.

These guys are millionaires. It is professionals lower down the chain who are going to have to feel the real force of this. It is going to cause problems paying those bills and that rent or mortgage. No one is safe.

Now, I don’t profess to have any clever line into the finances of Rangers. I don’t know the exact figures of what they have and what they don’t.

But in November last year the club announced losses of £11.3million, revealed they needed a fresh cash injection of more than £10m to get to the end of the season and confirmed King and Douglas Park had converted a staggering £35m in soft loans into shares over the past 18 months.

So I can safely assume they simply do not have enough cash in the bank to just ride this out for six months as if it’s a couple of matches lost due to a waterlogged pitch.

It is not that long ago Rangers had a financial meltdown and ended up down the leagues.

That came about through blatant mismanagement and not doing things properly when situations arose.

That’s not just my opinion, that’s a fact given the way things turned out with the administration.

Hearts had similar problems and went close to the edge when finances fell apart under Vladimir Romanov.

Their supporters and Ann Budge managed to save the day and it was noticeable that, when this current situation started to unfold, she was the first one to come out with a definitive strategy.

Now not everyone would agree with the way she went about it. It was savage and ruthless and that did not court favour with a lot of people at the time.

But looking back, Budge was probably right. This is not a time for half-measures. The coronavirus pandemic is going to have a hugely damaging effect on the finances of all sports and she was first on the case.

It had to be severe and it was. Aberdeen were next to make their announcements about a black hole of £5m with no football right now and Hibs have taken steps to discuss deferrals.

I don’t want to see anyone have their pay cut but these are the facts of life at the moment. It’s going to happen to just about everyone in all businesses and any walk of life so football cannot ignore this fact.

The Premier League are clinging on to some hope they can get the season finished, yet it’s highly unlikely.

I’m convinced more clubs will have to follow the lead of Newcastle and start cuts when they face the reality. By close of business yesterday talks about deferrals had gotten underway.

Budge acted instantly in a manner which ensured her club was not going back to the bad old days and it is inconceivable the rest of the clubs who have not yet confirmed wage cut talks won’t do the same.

Clubs such as Kilmarnock and Motherwell are well run now but this is nothing we have ever seen before.

Maybe there is a prestige about it, a chest-out attitude, a show of defiance for those who haven’t done it yet to make it look as though this pandemic won’t affect us, we’re too strong.

As tough as it may be to tell their employees, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and others are doing the right thing to look at implementing cutbacks.

I find it inconceivable bordering on reckless that Rangers won’t do the same thing.

My God he just can't help playing to their gallery. It is utterly pathetic watching him grovel to them.
Embarrassing beyond belief, that he thinks anyone cares what he has to say.
Dude you are a non entity. No one cares what you have to say. You and Stewart should just talk to each other, and leave the adults to deal with what's actually happening in the real world.

He does realise that the septic wage bill was unsustainable without champion league group stage money, right? and that was before football going into cold storage for months, his brown envelope for spreading Liewells propoganda will be first to go, which is nice, as for our finances, it has feck all to do with you Sutton you prick, there are people losing their lives and this idiot is consumed with all things Rangers, pathetic.

Please, please Rangers reduce your wage bill so that celtic can do the same.

He seems genuinely upset that Rangers haven’t come out before Celtic in saying they will reduce their wage bill.
I have no doubt our club are preparing to do this but He should be embarrassed by this pathetic article. I am sure that the cheque from Peter will ease his conscience.

If they cut wages before us then idiots like Sutton will be embarrassed. They’re so fucking deluded that they are immune from any kind of criticism and clearly any bad issues such as this must put us into admin 850 before it even affects the £400m they have in the bank! We’ve seen this before, where they are. Spending massively, huge wage bill, it takes something like this to cause them real problems! Just like Dave King said a while back!

It is so transparent it is unreal. Not to mention as soon as we do announce the inevitable cuts it will give fannys like him a few weeks worth of gossip, innuendo and lies to spread about our boardroom and investment situations.

He just can't help himself. If he obsessed about his own finances like he does Rangers, he wouldn't be the bankrupt, skint bawbag that he is.

Surely the editor of that rag must cringe when they print anything with that clowns name to it. Embarrassing.

I am quite sure we will have been looking at various ways to cut costs throughout this ongoing situation. It’s just we don’t feel the need to plaster our thoughts all over the press and this kills them as they are desperate to print negative headlines about us.

This proves me right- jhoe the bhigot is his ghost writer. Ramblings of a crazed fool...

Read the first bit and lost interest.

Perhaps we have a bonus and appearance-based pay? No games, no cost.

or maybe it is nobodies business what we ask players to do?

%^*& Sutton.

What in the name of fk has it got to do with that khunt

With everything that's going on that's what he writes about, "all in this together" they say but that piss poor excuse for a man uses all this for his own wee agenda

Aye, we'll take financial advice from that prick

Staggering how that's been allowed to be printed it's blatant shit stirring and a mess of a rant.

Questions should be getting asked here imo.

Does there come a point even some of them think why the %^*& are you always on about Rangers! They can’t handle any kind of negativity about them and possibly not us too! I.e they do all they can to drag us into their abuse scandal!

That's exactly what it is Lawell is feeling the pinch so has got one of his cronies to beg for rangers to blink first also why does not one question that if Celtic are quote "cash rich" or " have money in the bank" why don't they use that to pay their staff

A strange, incoherent piece from him, but not to be unexpected. Only he could use this situation to try and point score in some warped way.

All Sutton does is state the bloody obvious & then he must think it was all his idea. If he was to go on Mastermind his chosen subject would be Rangers.

The irony of that financially (as well as morally of course) bankrupt throbber dishing out financial advice is most definitely not lost on me.

Back