Swansea to boycott social media for a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say well done to them. People saying 'big deal', what wuld you do instead? More nothing?

It's at least the start of a hopefully concerted effort to tackle the SM platforms on their laissez-faire attitudes to their responsibilities.
I would totally back Rangers and our players if they did the same.

I've never understood people who seem think there is one single thing to stop discrimination or racism. But just offer snide commentary on any gesture or action that is taken by anyone who cares.

I doubt very much Swansea are thinking "yes, this will sort everything out".

Would only make a difference if the elite clubs done it for a month or so.

If Man Utd, Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, Real etc were to not use social media for a month it would have an impact for sure

Anything is better than nothing.

Until the higher powers are pressurised enough in to doing something then I welcome more of this.
The problem lies with the dysfunctional individuals who perpetrate the hate, not the medium they use.

The relative anonymity of social media seems to be half the problem. As Ricky Gervais has said, "Sometimes reading Twitter is like reading every public toilet wall all over the world."

What the 'higher powers' can do about it is an age-old problem. They certainly can't insist on accountability through clear registration and identification - that would be anathema to civil libertarians.

Short of asking everyone to 'play nice' I can't see what can be done. I think we have to accept hate and discrimination as endemic in human nature and be grateful if it's confined to anonymous virtual trolling.

I guess a boycott like that could make a difference, but only if it were done by all the teams and massive sports stars at the same time for the same length of time.

Cristiano Ronaldo for example has 275m followers, him coming out with a similar statement would make them do something imo.

I say well done to them. People saying 'big deal', what wuld you do instead? More nothing?

It's at least the start of a hopefully concerted effort to tackle the SM platforms on their laissez-faire attitudes to their responsibilities.
I would totally back Rangers and our players if they did the same.
Agreed, if others were to follow their lead it might at least make them take some notice.

They can do more, but why should they when they do as they wish. They can put things up in your so called private space, in something that gets your interest. Yet they cant do something about their platforms being used as a hate fest and kiddies playground to see who they can annoy and offend people the most.

This will only increase the problem.

Keep saying it, the spate of online racist abuse at the minute is essentially "copycat crimes". Player gets abused. Media fuore, top story on BBC news. Idiots see the fuore it causes and do it themselves.

The cycle repeats.

I get that nobody wants to say "ignore them"...but the reason its so rampant at the minute is because they're getting so much attention.

This will only increase the problem.

Keep saying it, the spate of online racist abuse at the minute is essentially "copycat crimes". Player gets abused. Media fuore, top story on BBC news. Idiots see the fuore it causes and do it themselves.

The cycle repeats.

I get that nobody wants to say "ignore them"...but the reason its so rampant at the minute is because they're getting so much attention.
That there is the problem. Its turning into a craze, and they're loving it. Probably having a competition for how many they've offended

The problem lies with the dysfunctional individuals who perpetrate the hate, not the medium they use.

The relative anonymity of social media seems to be half the problem. As Ricky Gervais has said, "Sometimes reading Twitter is like reading every public toilet wall all over the world."

What the 'higher powers' can do about it is an age-old problem. They certainly can't insist on accountability through clear registration and identification - that would be anathema to civil libertarians.

Short of asking everyone to 'play nice' I can't see what can be done. I think we have to accept hate and discrimination as endemic in human nature and be grateful if it's confined to anonymous virtual trolling.
If everybody just accepted it was a thing now and nobody done anything it would just grow and embolden the offenders, making them think it’s acceptable. If it seems acceptable, it gets worse and creeps into other areas of life. Even seemingly empty gestures are letting people know that it isn’t ok.

We need a organised boycott of social media involving all clubs plus personalities etc. A campaign started by the FA, EPL, SPFL. Needs to be big to force change on social media company’s, one club will just be ignored.

Token gesture.....
Do it for s month at least.
Make a statement

I would agree with you both but would we as fans be prepared to do the same?

Would we all be happy for this forum to close for a month, to keep off facebook, twitter and instagram and any other forum we are part of?

What needs to happen is normal people do it on mass, Do it for the entire time during the Euros, every single fan/person does not log on to any social Media account, that would help, won't happen but that would certainly hit the big companies where it hurts....nobody seeing advertising means a huge loss of revenue for all platforms

Will make about as much impact as the ineffectual 'taking a knee.'

this keeps getting posted in variations on threads.

Had footballers not been taking a knee for a year do you think we’d be seeing the same push for UEFA to do more? FAs were happy to back it and now they have to back it up or look like the “Virtue Signallers” they were accused of being.

There’s more than one way to spin a story. Us and Celtic not doing the “token gesture” also brought more attention to Glen Kamara story.

Disable comments on accounts. It's the only way forward at the moment as the platforms have no intention of policing their sites properly.

Worth trying for me. Could never understand why so many people complain about social media and then put up with the crap many suffer. If footballers being racially abused were to say we're out, then social media would have to listen.

Celebrities can't have it both ways. Put up or shut up.

Disable comments on accounts. It's the only way forward at the moment as the platforms have no intention of policing their sites properly.
Genuine question, how do you even approach that? What would you have them do?

Being in the tech sector I understand the problem but I don't think there's an easy solution technically speaking.

For all the applauding of Swansea doing something, why not just come off it altogether? A week of tokenism action is nothing.

Sorry but the only way to cut out this problem is surely for individual players ( if they don't like the abuse ) is to close their individual social media accounts. ( reopen an individual account on a view only basis in the meantime if they want to ? )

The major issue is however that Facebook, Instagram, 'et all' must be charged with deleting accounts which are abusive of anyone whosoever. This to be policed by the Scottish/UK governments.

These actions would surely take the heat out of this problem from players point of view and limit possible abuse to direct abuse 'on field' which is not happening right now.

This of course will then, correctly, place the solution on to the clubs and the police authorities to identify any perpetrators via CCTV in the first instance and by the police to actually follow up the on the abuse which is made available to them from the clubs and the CCTV of local authorities.

I sent this to slavia one time and i was reported for harassment
laAkazH.gif

Would only make a difference if the elite clubs done it for a month or so.

If Man Utd, Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, Real etc were to not use social media for a month it would have an impact for sure
Exactly!
Money talks!

If everybody just accepted it was a thing now and nobody done anything it would just grow and embolden the offenders, making them think it’s acceptable. If it seems acceptable, it gets worse and creeps into other areas of life. Even seemingly empty gestures are letting people know that it isn’t ok.
After nearly a full season of gesturing...it got worse. (The GK incident is the first time at Ibrox I can remember a player suffering racial abuse from another player.) Every one with any sense at all already knows it's unacceptable. Drop the gestures and start pursuing the actual offenders. The laws to deal with them are already in place.

this keeps getting posted in variations on threads.

Had footballers not been taking a knee for a year do you think we’d be seeing the same push for UEFA to do more? FAs were happy to back it and now they have to back it up or look like the “Virtue Signallers” they were accused of being.

There’s more than one way to spin a story. Us and Celtic not doing the “token gesture” also brought more attention to Glen Kamara story.
UEFA would have investigated - and hopefully prosecuted - the Prague player regardless of footballers 'taking the knee for a year.' Their rules have been in place for years and plenty of clubs and players have been punished.

We don't need any gestures to 'raise awareness' and push for action. We've all known for a long time now that racial abuse and discrimination is unacceptable. Anybody who hasn't got the message by now isn't going to 'get it' and should be dealt with accordingly.

There is no collective guilt or responsibility on this issue. It's down to individuals behaving badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back