Swiss Ramble’s analysis of Sunderland accounts show Martin Bain was paid £1.9m

My memory may be out here timelines wise etc but is he not basically living off getting the wage bill and total debt at Rangers down about £50m but still competing with Celtic and winning three in a row, multiple cups and a UEFA cup final?

We all know that magic was thanks to Walter Smith but on paper Bain will have looked like an ideal fit for Sunderland until he walked through the door and proved he wasn’t.

To think he was a catalogue model and a charge hand at the old John St Jam pub in town.

Quite the career trajectory.

Martin Bain did what he was told by SDM and Murray was obviously happy with the way he did it. He was criticised for paying off players but it was Murray who told him to do it. If Sunderland offer you £1.9m, what would you do ?
I am no fan of Bain because he thought it was better to employ RCS to make us more inclusive. I can't see Lawwell doing that.

My memory may be out here timelines wise etc but is he not basically living off getting the wage bill and total debt at Rangers down about £50m but still competing with Celtic and winning three in a row, multiple cups and a UEFA cup final?

We all know that magic was thanks to Walter Smith but on paper Bain will have looked like an ideal fit for Sunderland until he walked through the door and proved he wasn’t.

He would be fairly complicit in some of the reckless spending that got us in mountains of debt to begin with too would he not, I guess he doesn’t mention that bit at the interviews.

What was the thing that came out in the latest sunderland till i die about him paing circa 300k for some recovery chamber that only he ever used, the players never used it! haha

The spoof on youtube about him doing a transfer deal was probably about right.

Which boiled my piss.

He would be fairly complicit in some of the reckless spending that got us in mountains of debt to begin with too would he not, I guess he doesn’t mention that bit at the interviews.
Bain had absolutely no say in the financial mess Murray created, Murray made those decisions, Bains job was to deal with the mundane day to day stuff and to be Murray’s lackey.

Bain had absolutely no say in the financial mess Murray created, Murray made those decisions, Bains job was to deal with the mundane day to day stuff and to be Murray’s lackey.

Did he play no part at all in negotiating these fees and salaries?

I can’t remember his exact role at the time and obviously the buck stops with Murray, but if he’s to be credited for cutting the wage bill working under Murray I’m not sure he can wash his hands completely of the exorbitant spending under Murray.

I'm not Bain advocate, but I think it's probably key to note here that in our accounts in 2010 we reduced our debt to a manageable £14m due to the cost cutting measures put in place from 2008 onwards whilst still maintaining success, which was quite an achievement from where we were.

He also gave a stark warning about Craig Whyte, it's just that he cried wolf so many times before that nobody paid attention.

The crisis that engulfed the club is solely down to Murray. He threw the club into a vipers pit and washed his hands of it. He deserves as much blame as the spivs in this regard.

He came across as very uninspiring in Sunderland Till I Die. Just going through the motions and full of buzz words. He is a lucky man to have made it from modelling polo shirts to £1.9m.

xYKS8o0.gif

And did nothing to get that debt down as Murray and his accountants transferred it to MIH from Murray sports.

The bears who fell for the share deal bought their shares from his shareholding in the scheme netting him around £1.5m and the rest just a debt transfer.

Bain is the kind of guy who would be selling Messi but end up agreeing to a swap deal and taking Mark Yardley

Last edited:
Bain is very good at his job, his job is to cut costs and take the flack for those above who are really making the decisions.

Well he done a good job, on the Sunderland Netflix series, of hiding it.

He came across as aloof, incompetent and useless to me.

Even with a reduced budget they should still have skooshed league one (all in my opion, of course)

Thank goodness he is not at the club now, he would sell Alfie for £2m and think it was a great deal making Rangers a profit.

Was clear on the doc that not even the ones in accounts had a clue what was coming in or going out, they were being cleaned by allsorts.

Impressive really. A lesson to everyone. Dress well, smile, fake confidence and you can do whatever you want

Back