Tackle on Harvey Elliot

Ref never even blew for a foul ......footballs a contact sport injury happen hopefully the lad makes a full recovery
I thought they said the red was giving a red card, either way. He waited for confirmation. That’s what was said on the tele, I’m sure.

Thought it at the time and still do, 99% of that’s a cracking challenge to win the ball. This time elliots foot was planted and the trailing leg caught him. Never a red

I thought they said the red was giving a red card, either way. He waited for confirmation. That’s what was said on the tele, I’m sure.
They did say that but he didn’t blow for a free kick so I think that was a lot of shite. They didn’t know what was going on, they weren’t showing replays.

What a horrible injury, I actually thought it was his knee at first but looking at it again it was his ankle.
Pretty similar situation to the leg break that Son was involved in last season, nothing malicious in the tackle but a freak incident that resulted in a bad injury.
I actually feel bad for the both of them!

Don't see the sense in that. Surely every similar one should be red under that logic regardless of injury severity? Or do you keep letting people get away with it until there's a terrible injury? Surely that's just encouraging it?

For what it's worth it should have been a yellow card in my opinion regardless of the obvious unintentional consequences.
No. Not really. Encouraging? No discouraging.

It's not about intent though.

If you go into a tackle with enough force to break someone's leg then IMO you're using excessive force and it's a red card.
Define excessive course? Two players could go in for a 5050 with the exact same force and one breaks a leg, by your logic they both walk? Well one does… the other probably not B-)

Define excessive course? Two players could go in for a 5050 with the exact same force and one breaks a leg, by your logic they both walk? Well one does… the other probably not B-)

I defined it in that post mate.

If you go into a tackle with enough force to break someones leg then IMO you're using excessive force.

Didn’t think it was a malicious tackle. Boy looked like he was trying to get up, as Salah was screaming for medics.
Agree with other posters, Leeds player sent off for result of injury rather than initial tackle

I defined it in that post mate.

If you go into a tackle with enough force to break someones leg then IMO you're using excessive force.
If two go in with “excessive force” and one breaks their ankle, why does the one with the non-broken ankle walk if they both used the same force? “Excessive force” is a load of nonsense. Its either a good tackle or a bad tackle, force doesn’t matter because if he gets the ball it’s a great tackle.

The tackle didn't look that bad but you only had the one angle. Looks like the red was given because of the injury.

Hopefully it's a clean break and he can make a full and quick recovery.
I’m sure a couple of seasons back Son got a red rescinded because they said a severe injury shouldn’t automatically mean red.

You can't go giving red cards based on how badly the recipient is injured. It should be based on the tackle, and the rules around it, which are designed to protect players. Otherwise you start getting into the realms of how fragile a player is to establish the punishment - so a tackle on Jack Wilshere would potentially be punished differently to a tackle on Connor Goldson.

I’d say if a tackle has broken someone’s leg he has probably endangered the safety of the opponent.
I know where you are coming from but you could argue every headed challenge has the potential to do serious injury to either player? Every time a goalie punches the ball in a sea of players heads also. Think it’s just one of those unfortunate things. If the guys ankle didn’t get trapped I don’t even think it would have been a foul (only seen it once in full speed so could be wrong here)

If two go in with “excessive force” and one breaks their ankle, why does the one with the non-broken ankle walk if they both used the same force? “Excessive force” is a load of nonsense. Its either a good tackle or a bad tackle, force doesn’t matter because if he gets the ball it’s a great tackle.

If two players go into a tackle and one breaks their ankle then only one of the players has went in with excessive force.

As for your second point, I understand that that's how you'd like to see football played but they aren't the rules of football anymore.

If two players go into a tackle and one breaks their ankle then only one of the players has went in with excessive force.

As for your second point, I understand that that's how you'd like to see football played but they aren't the rules of football anymore.
That’s by far the worst logic I have ever heard. If both go in with the same force it doesn’t mean both will break their ankle and equally i’ve seen leg breaks with little to no force so the force of a tackle is impossible to measure. 2 players can lunge into a 50/50, both hit each other with the same force and one unlucky bastards ankle is in bits. What then? Keeping in mind both used the same force. It’s either a good tackle or a poor tackle, the force is irrelevant because if he gets the ball the force doesn’t matter one jot.

That’s by far the worst logic I have ever heard. If both go in with the same force it doesn’t mean both will break their ankle and equally i’ve seen leg breaks with little to no force so the force of a tackle is impossible to measure. 2 players can lunge into a 50/50, both hit each other with the same force and one unlucky bastards ankle is in bits. What then? Keeping in mind both used the same force. It’s either a good tackle or a poor tackle, the force is irrelevant because if he gets the ball the force doesn’t matter one jot.

You're arguing a point I'm not making though so that's why you're not understanding my point/logic.

trial by reaction

Think people forget its a contact sport at times.

Tackle was no more out of control that the Thomson one on Rabbie Keane - Which we celebrate like a goal .

Club confirm it’s a broken ankle. Probably best case scenario? I thought it was the knee/leg at first viewing. Yet to see replay back.

If they both go to kick the ball the way you'd hit a free kick or penalty (as an example), I don't think it's possible to generate enough force to snap someone's leg. If it did happen then I don't think it would be a red.

If they go over the top of the ball and catch the person on the shin stamping down then yes it's a red.

Just saw the post about him dislocating his ankle. That’s maybe not too bad an injury. I dislocated my elbow a couple of years ago. I got an operation and it’s healed well. Anyway good luck to him hopefully he gets back playing again

It's a pish challenge to make the ball wasn't there to be won legally imo

The injury is a freak one though, shame for the boy

He goes to stand up straight after the challenged! Probably a red due to the follow through of his other leg.

Some SPL aficionados would argue that football is a contact sport so players should be allowed to break each others legs, players should be allowed to do dangerous play as long as they just say it was an accident.

What a horrible injury, I actually thought it was his knee at first but looking at it again it was his ankle.
Pretty similar situation to the leg break that Son was involved in last season, nothing malicious in the tackle but a freak incident that resulted in a bad injury.
I actually feel bad for the both of them!
Agree with this and also the ref sent Son off purely because of the injury the Everton boy sustained. When questioned by Spurs staff why it’s a sending off the ref said “look at the state of his leg”. Complete accident but understand why the refs feel the need to ref card when legs are broken as the emotions must take over.

I've not seen it back but if you snap someone's leg in a tackle then it should be a red card.

I know it sounds strange but if its a clean break then it's much better than ligament damage when it comes to rehab.

If it's a clean break then I wouldn't be surprised to see the lad back playing in January/February.

Disagree.

Sometimes it's just bad luck with no intent whatsoever.

No doubt the Leeds player will get a lengthy ban for it though.

As far as I'm concerned, and I don't want to see challenge again, any over physical challenge that leads to horrific injuries like this boy has just suffered should be red cards.
Well the challenge was neither, so what do you do?
Red cards based on outcome is a dangerous road to go down.

ddd.png

If football isn't already fucked, the day you stop normal tackles, it's done.

Last edited:
BTW players can get freak injuries. Plenty of players get injured without there being much 'force' in the tackle.

Playing a couple of years ago against Petershill. Two players go in for a slide tackle, nothing in the tackle at all, but the Petershill players' studs got caught in the turf and his ankle twisted - not too dissimilar to Elliott's today.

A bad injury doesn't mean it's a bad foul / red card.

Alan Hutton utterly destroys that theory.

An absolutely wild tackle with excessive force. Yet he was the one with a broken leg.

BTW players can get freak injuries. Plenty of players get injured without there being much 'force' in the tackle.

Playing a couple of years ago against Petershill. Two players go in for a slide tackle, nothing in the tackle at all, but the Petershill players' studs got caught in the turf and his ankle twisted - not too dissimilar to Elliott's today.

A bad injury doesn't mean it's a bad foul / red card.

That's complete nonsense.
You get the feeling that the next time a player goes down 5 yards from anyone, with a serious injury, folk will be wanting said guy 5 yards away sent off.
Because an injury needs a red card.

Blame culture, something bad happened to me. Must be the fault of the guy nearest me.

Watched it a few times now, it's a hard but clean challenge. Really unfortunate for the lad imo it's more his studs/blades catching the grass.
Hope the lad has a speedy recovery and can get on with his career.

Back