Tactically, how does GVB play it v. PSV?

Bring the wrath of Ibrox down on top on them. On the front foot as always on a European night. Would take any win with a clean sheet. Saying that, I think it wiill be basketball score over two legs with us hopefully scoring more than them.

The usual 4-2-3-1 I would imagine.

McLaughlin

Tavernier
Goldson
Davies
Barisic

Lundstram
Jack

Tillman
Lawrence
Kent

Colak
I'd say that's probably spot-on @dh1963 with the only 'real' questions over Davies and Jack. Potentially could play Sands and Kamara in those slots.

Other point of note, Sands and Lawrence have two bookings so far. Pick up another in the first leg and they would miss the Away tie.

Starting a player who is nowhere near matchfit yet ahead of a striker who has 3/3 would be lunacy imo.

From what we have seen of him so far it doesn’t look to me like he has 65 minutes in him imo.
He’s still miles ahead of colak in all round play. You can’t afford for your central striker in a 3 not influence and lead the line at that level. Same reason Boyd never played in europe.

Starting a player who is nowhere near matchfit yet ahead of a striker who has 3/3 would be lunacy imo.

From what we have seen of him so far it doesn’t look to me like he has 65 minutes in him imo.

Even in the 30 minute cameos he doesn't look like he's over exerting himself and still looks way short of fitness. I'd say the earliest he is likely to start is against Ross County or QoS

Can’t afford to sit back in Eindhoven. We simply aren’t good enough to defend. Win the first leg and go there and be brave

Last edited:
Granted its a step up in opposition but we have three clean sheets on bounce.

Away from in Europe has largely been poor under gio. Dortmund apart we have been Well beaten in every away match even if some of the scorelines don’t reflect the matches. We aren’t going to Holland and defending for 90mins and coming away with a clean sheet

It shouldn't be seen as an attempt at Colak bashing btw, it's just stating that Morelos and his style of play is much better suited to playing in Europe.

I've no doubt we'll create chances on Tuesday, and that Colak is more than capable of taking one should he get the chance - but his lack of affecting the game outside the box is the issue here. Morelos creates chances for himself. Colak needs them created for him.

We need to get Morelos as many minutes as we can over the next two matches in order to get him as close to where he needs to be for the away leg as we can.

Balls deep on a big start and at them at them from the off, yes we’ve had hairy moments the past 3 games but that’s football. Keeping clean sheets breeds confidence to go at teams, ride our luck and we are on course for another famous night under the lights at Ibrox.
3:1

I'd be happy to take any kind of lead over there. If we can win by 2 or more, so much the better obviously, but reckon we can get a draw in the away leg, so be happy with any kind of win on Tuesday.

Their back 4 and their middle men are comfortable on the ball if you give them time and space. If we come out the traps and hound them from the start we will see gaps opening up. They are prone to lose their shape when they see pressed on the ball in a high line. I believe down there is a weak link down the left side, if Tav and or Matondo can press high I think we will see success there.

Their young left back, Oppegård, does not like to be hounded on the ball and does make misplaced passes because of that.

Last edited:
Very tough tie i believe, will be massive if we can get through, we really need to be on top of our game, high tempo stuff both games., get the silly mistakes down to a minimum

Ideally a repeat of red star Belgrade
Exactly what I have said all week. Go for it and take a healthy lead, then stifle them before hitting them on the break and extending the lead!
Mon the Teddy Bears!

I think we will need to keep it tight. Many on here are downplaying the ability of PSV. They are a quality team playing for the Champions League and if the scum had drawn them we’d be certain they’d be going out. I do think we need a result Tuesday to keep us in the tie but I can see us getting it. 2-1 then 2-2 over there

Not all out attack but the tempo needs to be a lot quicker. They are a good side but we can we definitely win this tie if we turn up for both legs.

I’d take any kind of win tbh

Going to be a nervy game or a blockbuster

I don’t anything about psv tactically their preferred formation etc

Need the heart and hand guys analysis

@David Edgar

When we getting this lol

In recent Euro ties, with the away leg first, Gio has tended to favour a more solid formation with a view to keeping the tie alive and bringing it back to Ibrox. USG aside, it has pretty much worked out for us.
This time we have Ibrox first, how do the bears feel Gio will set the team up for Tuesday?

Discuss..
Perfectly

I rate Sands and think he’s going to be a star, but he’s a bit rash for the moment so Davies would keep his place.

Ideally a repeat of red star Belgrade
They were the best team in terms of performance we played at Ibrox last year in my opinion and I felt 3-0 wasn’t entirely fair on them though! A repeat of the score line, absolutely! But don’t want them performing to a similar level.

I think we play our normal European game.Playing against these teams suits us as they let us play and you are not up against a 10 man defence.The key for me is how we defend.We need to be switched on and no big Connor trying to stroll out like he is Beckenbaur.The full backs need total concentration especially Borna who can let forwards drift off him.

Better tell Gio then because he does it often and done so frequently last season
It’s one thing Lundstram dropping back into the defence to supplement the back 4 for periods within certain games. That’s a lot different to setting up with a back three and maintaining it for an entire match.

USG Away was disastrous. I don’t see GvB setting up like that again for a long time, and certainly not in a tough Euro tie.

It’s one thing Lundstram dropping back into the defence to supplement the back 4 for periods within certain games. That’s a lot different to setting up with a back three and maintaining it for an entire match.

USG Away was disastrous. I don’t see GvB setting up like that again for a long time, and certainly not in a tough Euro tie.
I think he’ll start that way for sure, like Leipzig at home

I think we’ll be a bit more conservative than some people are saying. The main objective for me is to make sure the tie is still alive in the second leg. If we come out too open in the first leg we run the risk of being picked off and maybe leaking a goal or two. The tie lasts (at least) 180 minutes.

I really foresee a lot of goals for both sides in both legs. I just hope we're ahead come the reckoning. Tough tonight matches.

In recent Euro ties, with the away leg first, Gio has tended to favour a more solid formation with a view to keeping the tie alive and bringing it back to Ibrox. USG aside, it has pretty much worked out for us.
This time we have Ibrox first, how do the bears feel Gio will set the team up for Tuesday?

Discuss..
Tell the team we are 2 behind at kick off.
Keep it tight at the back and attack with purpose.
Decide at 45 , then 70 how you go from there and get the info onto the pitch.

We need to aim at taking a 2 or 3 goal lead over there.
It never works out as planned.
So it's then up to Gio to decide how we play it, and get that info out to the players.

Latest posts

Back