Tactics on Sunday

Skyy Bluenose

So it's now been proven once again, that if you pressure the mentally challengeds up the park, they struggle. We did it earlier, Hearts and Hibs have both beaten them soundly by doing the same. This is the obvious approach for Sunday, with both shape and tactics.

Murty doesn't come across as being a big ego, but to go back to this approach, he'll need to admit his critics were correct after the SC semi. Are we concerned he'll go to some combined high press/attack wide approach, rather than going with the obvious? This would, like the SC semi, be an approach we've never tried and would set us up for failure.

It's 100% high pressure for me and clog the midfield areas. Let's hope Murty doesn't overthink things and will admit, by approach, that he got it wrong at Hampden.

100 percent has to be high pressure tactics. Get right in their faces. We've seen what a bomb scare Boyata is, and we scored from pressing him and causing him to brick it. They are really poor at the back.

Same the Brown. He's nowhere near as good as people think. Press him and he can't distribute the ball effectively, and he's what makes them tick.

Yip, the problem is our defence is too weak to pull it off so when they inevitably break they will score against us.

We'll still get beat, but let's make it as uncomfortable as possible for them and not the canter we gave them 8 days ago. If we can press them high they will make mistakes, their defence is also poor so we can score against them if we pull it off.

In about the pricks from the 1st minute to the last.Fight for every single ball.Give it your all.Nothing less than 100% effort is acceptable.Make us proud to say we witnessed a great result against the odds.

Attack them go for it look to score the first goal they wont be expecting an attacking side and with out defence theres no real point in sitting back and looking to keep it tight anyway. No as if its gonna cost us the title is it may as well have a right go see what happens.

Their defence is crap too so may as well have a go.

Yip, the problem is our defence is too weak to pull it off so when they inevitably break they will score against us.

We'll still get beat, but let's make it as uncomfortable as possible for them and not the canter we gave them 8 days ago. If we can press them high they will make mistakes, their defence is also poor so we can score against them if we pull it off.

This is why I'd play McRorie as a CDM - to break up play when they break if we're caught up the pitch pressing. Docherty, Dorrans and Holt aren't really CDMs, so I'd be worried that they would leave us exposed.

Murty and the players owe us big time it’s time they stood up man up and give the performance and result we deserve it’s about getting the better of your opposite opponent simple as that not rocket science in there faces work your socks off make them work for every inch of ground and the most important thing when we get a chance take it if this group of players want to represent our famous club with honour and pride now is the time to show it .

424 miss our the midfield play long balls in the channels get them turning. We tried flooding the middle and didn’t get near so let’s try something else.

100 percent has to be high pressure tactics. Get right in their faces. We've seen what a bomb scare Boyata is, and we scored from pressing him and causing him to brick it. They are really poor at the back.

Same the Brown. He's nowhere near as good as people think. Press him and he can't distribute the ball effectively, and he's what makes them tick.

He canny pass for shite, I’d leav the prick alone as he revels in the challenges, his distribution is woeful and they have more dangerous midfielders to pick up than that bald fandan

The wingers were fantastic yesterday so I'd be going with them.

We can't play a 'man in the hole' against them. So that means a 3 man midfield, with two wingers and a front man.

If we get beat we get beat but I want us to give 110% for 90 minutes. Don’t give them any time on the ball to play their passing game and get a rhythm going. Just sprint at them as soon as they are on the ball and they’re likely to panic and make mistakes. Especially boyata.

If Cummings isn’t fit

Wes
Tav Alves Martin John
Candeias Holt McCrorie Dorrans Murphy
Windass

Try and use pace to beat them.

If we are going with a high press would you not have Morelos instead of Windass, he has the work rate and tenacity that Windass doesn’t.

And surely hes due a stroke of luck.... surely!

I would be a terrible manager, after the last 2 games my masterplan would be laughed at. But might as well give folk a laugh..

Foderingham in goal if fit.

A back 3, preferably of Martin, Alves and Cardoso. As Alves injured, that unfortunately means McCrorie back there as they are the only centre backs left. Reasoning is no pairing is secure, extra man to give insurance and to better fill central gaps that Rogic keeps finding.

5 across the middle with Tavernier right and John left. If McCrorie didn't have to play at the back he would be the deepest lying centrally. Otherwise, the 3 should be Dorrans, Holt and Goss. Combines energy, experience and ball retention.

Then comes my silly idea.

1 off the front, and that is Candeias. Occupy the space in front of their defence, get in Brown's face and have the ability to run at them with the ball.
Then furthest forward Murphy. Keep the ball on the deck, got pace, and would frighten the likes of Boyata and Ajer with his ability to beat players.

Those 2 can funnel out wide if we are under pressure and be interchangeable and flexible.

No recognised forward and more players out of position than a McCoist nightmare. System built to press them high but also to be hard to pass through.

I know it's nuts, but we need to surprise them, we are way too predictable and way too easy for them to beat playing the same players and tactics as before.

I need to look out a suit of armour as well as a tin hat for this one!

I would be a terrible manager, after the last 2 games my masterplan would be laughed at. But might as well give folk a laugh..

Foderingham in goal if fit.

A back 3, preferably of Martin, Alves and Cardoso. As Alves injured, that unfortunately means McCrorie back there as they are the only centre backs left. Reasoning is no pairing is secure, extra man to give insurance and to better fill central gaps that Rogic keeps finding.

5 across the middle with Tavernier right and John left. If McCrorie didn't have to play at the back he would be the deepest lying centrally. Otherwise, the 3 should be Dorrans, Holt and Goss. Combines energy, experience and ball retention.

Then comes my silly idea.

1 off the front, and that is Candeias. Occupy the space in front of their defence, get in Brown's face and have the ability to run at them with the ball.
Then furthest forward Murphy. Keep the ball on the deck, got pace, and would frighten the likes of Boyata and Ajer with his ability to beat players.

Those 2 can funnel out wide if we are under pressure and be interchangeable and flexible.

No recognised forward and more players out of position than a McCoist nightmare. System built to press them high but also to be hard to pass through.

I know it's nuts, but we need to surprise them, we are way too predictable and way too easy for them to beat playing the same players and tactics as before.

I need to look out a suit of armour as well as a tin hat for this one!

Not the worst idea in the world. On current form Candeias and Murphy are as likely to stick the ball in the pokey as Morelos or Cummings if the chances present themselves.

Spoiling tactics from the start. Don't give them a minute to settle. Make it ugly but keep the head. Make them make mistakes. Make it a horrible stop start, stop start game . If we come out and try to play football against them, we will lose, perhaps heavily.We will get chances, let's take them. And above all, get a grip of that Khunt Rogic.
It's a big ask over 90 mins for this Rangers team but it can be done

They owe us big time. We’ve been kicked time and again by these bastards and now they want to win it in front of us! They better put in a performance and take no prisoners! Like I said they owe us big time!

Spoiling tactics from the start. Don't give them a minute to settle. Make it ugly but keep the head. Make them make mistakes. Make it a horrible stop start, stop start game . If we come out and try to play football against them, we will lose, perhaps heavily.We will get chances, let's take them. And above all, get a grip of that Khunt Rogic.
It's a big ask over 90 mins for this Rangers team but it can be done

I don't get this. I honestly don't think they are that special. I think we've severely mismanaged recent games against them. Morelos multiple misses in the draw at the piggery, our inability to adjust to playing 10 men at Ibrox and the complete surrender to them at Hampden.

I'll give you the cup games, but on the balance of play, the other two games were 5 points dropped of our own doing.

Not the worst idea in the world. On current form Candeias and Murphy are as likely to stick the ball in the pokey as Morelos or Cummings if the chances present themselves.

For me, Cummings is a better bet if a chance falls to him, but still don't see him as able to play through the middle himself and doesn't hold up the ball well enough. Morelos just looks like his head has gone and 1 mistake on Sunday he is likely to lose the plot. We all assume 1 will play, but maybe there's a system we can create that works with neither.

Or maybe I need to get more sleep as my brain has overheated!

The problem is he didn’t admit he got it wrong, he thought the team he pick and the way he asked them to play should have work. The guys a clueless fool.
Let’s not forget how much the players let him down as well. We had three Rangers fans in midfiled and not one of them made a tackle or tracked any runners. Murty can or Walter Smith could pick any team from our squad and if there attitude is like Hampden the result will be the same.

Let’s not forget how much the players let him down as well. We had three Rangers fans in midfiled and not one of them made a tackle or tracked any runners. Murty can or Walter Smith could pick any team from our squad and if there attitude is like Hampden the result will be the same.
Why did they let him down though? Something seriously wasn’t right in that dressing room on Sunday and it can’t be simply put down to a whole team bottling it.

I think gigantic energy levels across the team and just never letting up even for a moment is what is required
I just watched Hibs win at the weekend against them and Hibs pushed them so very very hard.
Celtic did not know what had hit them.
A swarm of bees that’s what we need

murty wont change it. He will use the same tactics as the last game against them and we will take another drubbing. He wont change it because he doesnt know how to.

If we are gonna get beat I want us down fighting after giving 100%. If it's a defeat then I want a few bodies taken out too by end of the match. Brown, Griffiths, Roberts, Tierney in that order or any order fck it. We lose get some casualties amongst these b@stards.

Why did they let him down though? Something seriously wasn’t right in that dressing room on Sunday and it can’t be simply put down to a whole team bottling it.
probably no confidence due to the managers rigid system. mix it up and surprise brenda but that's probably a step to far for murts :rolleyes:

If we are gonna get beat I want us down fighting after giving 100%. If it's a defeat then I want a few bodies taken out too by end of the match. Brown, Griffiths, Roberts, Tierney in that order or any order fck it. We lose get some casualties amongst these b@stards.
Don't forget that kunt Lustig. He has embraced the bheast mindset and is fully indoctrinated in the way of the mentally challenged. The rest I get but he's meant to be a mild mannered Scandinavian.I just want us to have a right good go at them,don't lie down to them and regain some pride.

Don't forget that kunt Lustig. He has embraced the bheast mindset and is fully indoctrinated in the way of the mentally challenged. The rest I get but he's meant to be a mild mannered Scandinavian.I just want us to have a right good go at them,don't lie down to them and regain some pride.

Forgot about that prick. Wish someone would stamp on that c*nt Griffiths neck. Closely followed by the Lego eater.

The problem is he didn’t admit he got it wrong, he thought the team he pick and the way he asked them to play should have work. The guys a clueless fool.
``

What is it the say about doing the same thing over and over again. I have some adive for Murty, go to WS and ask him how to set that team up to get solid at the back and hit on the break.

Just win the match that's all i want. Also seeing us give 100% will be good aswell winning our tackles and 50/50s and second balls. Give our best and please win Rangers!

If we are going with a high press would you not have Morelos instead of Windass, he has the work rate and tenacity that Windass doesn’t.

And surely hes due a stroke of luck.... surely!

He's due it, but in the Hearts game his warming up and then lackluster attempt after coming on as a sub have me thinking hes in a huff tbh.

The longer this game goes at 0-0 the better it suits us as they need to win the game they will get anxious and over commit trying to appease the hoards - hopefully wE can sneak a breakaway goal at the death to give them the sickener these so deserve , and give the Bears something to sing about at the end

Very similar to winning 9 in a row when we werc expected to horse Motherwell at Ibrox to clinch 9 - never quite turned out like that !!!

Hamd finished 0-2 and was a real skunner !

Wes

Tav
John
Mcrorie
Martin

Candeias or Windass
Holt
Dorrans
Docherty
Murphy

Candeais or O Halloran

Throw the fuckers a curveball by sticking some pace up top like we used to with Miller, Lovenkrands or Novo

They wont defend on the halfway line with Boyata and Ajer in their team if we have pace up top. Force the fuckers backwards

A few wee observations from the Scottish cup game. Boyata looked nervous again early doors,but we stopped running at him. Lustig got a yellow,but I don't think Murphy ran at him again after that,and please oh please Rangers....why do we always stand off rogic? I don't think I've seen anyone tackle this guy,given far too much time and space.I agree with the pressure comments above,but we need whole team focussed. We cannot afford any .passengers

He canny pass for shite, I’d leav the prick alone as he revels in the challenges, his distribution is woeful and they have more dangerous midfielders to pick up than that bald fandan

Can't really argue with that tbh. Since he's come back from injury his passing has been really poor. But if you leave him out, what do you do? Play with no CDM? Big risk

The wingers were fantastic yesterday so I'd be going with them.

We can't play a 'man in the hole' against them. So that means a 3 man midfield, with two wingers and a front man.

Wee Daniel does a lot of work up front on the wing and also helps out as the extra man backtracking in midfield so have Ross McCrorie in front of a back three initially to be the fourth defender when required and I think he's up to that role for Sunday.

Everyone of our players has to show the right attitude and commitment and be up for this match on Sunday.

I think we'll know pretty early if we're going to press them and in-turn, if we have a chance.

If Alves is really injured, it'll be Tav, Martin, McCrorie and John. I don't see how we can drop Murphy or Candeias and Dorrans will definitely play. Assuming either Morelos or Cummings plays up front, that leaves two spots to decide on the shape and approach.

To play the high press and have more bodies in midfield, it would probably mean dropping Windass. I'm not sure Murty will have the balls to do that. That will mean one other midfielder to be central and press Brown. Is that Holt, Docherty or for the love of God, Halliday?

I'm going to guess he plays Holt, but this means the team doesn't fit a high pressing approach. I don't think Murty will be able to combine picking the correct team, with picking the correct tactical approach.

I hope I'm wrong, but Murty hasn't suggested otherwise.

that tactic didnt work out too well in the previous games against them.. that 2nd goal at Ibrox from his long ball is one of the shittiest goals we've lost imo

Alnwick
Tav Martin McCrorie John
Candeias Docherty Dorrans Holt Murphy
Morelos
Wes (shoulder)and Alves (hamstring) struggling for Sunday apparently.
Cardoso is not in Murty’s plan so it’s the hapless Hampden duo at the back:eek:
Cummings looked like he tweaked his groin on Sunday.

Press them,plenty of energy in midfield.
It won’t matter what we do if the 2 CB’s are not on their game,we need these 2 to be fully focused.
Full backs maybe a bit more reserved.

Closest we've come to beating them and we should have, was the 2-3 game. Why that mix of youth and attacking football was dropped i'll never know.
We were a save/block and a tap in away that day and our momentum would have remained unchecked, instead we find ourselves despondent and rudderless to a degree.
You can put that team back together but the confidence won't be there after their goals and performances and i don't think we have another team to put on the pitch that will cause the poets any concern.

Back