Taking a portable radio to the match with you

Radio commentary on the Thistle v mockits League Cup final was amusing.
Only the second half of games were broadcast at that time.
At half time, they broadcast replays of the goals scored in the first half of the game, which was a new thing at the time. Everyone listening in thought it was commentary of the start of the second half, and that the filth were getting scudded 6 or 7 nothing.
Pandemonium in the Derry.

Listened to Scotland v Australia play off (1987/8?) with one lie that, up the sleeve of my school jumper!
I remember asking the teacher if we could watch it and he said "do you see a television in here? If there was one then Inl would allow it" and had a wee laugh to himself thinking he was some kind of comedian. Wasnt funny the next day when I came in with my portable. Now for the kids out there, the word portable back then was a different concept to being able to watch stuff on a phone that you put in your pocket. Thing weighed a tonne and was the smallest of portables.
But give the teacher his due he did let us watch it albeit a shitty reception mainly due to me losing the the aerial on the way and having to fire a wire ciathanger into it

I mind years ago there was a guy who took a radio and would have it glued to his ear the whole game in the east enclosure.

Funniest one was Hearts away in 1988...I had just purchased my prized SAS BANG BANG BANG Tshirt when an auld Edingurgh guy approached us with a radio that looked like it was still broadcasting lord Hawhaw on his shoulder ..plug trailing telling anyone who would listen " Andy Gray...Rangers just signed Andy Gray"

I believe Brendan Rodgers used to use a tranny
HkFW8Rn.gif

The day Baxter broke his leg against Rapid Vienna I was listening to the game on a battery operated radio at school in my English class. The teacher couldn’t understand why none of the boys were concentrating on the blackboard and kept asking what the buzzing noise was. I was passing messages around on little bits of paper. Only the second half was broadcast and I had to have the sound so low I could only make out little bits of the commentary.

Anyone do this?

There used to always be some punters with headphones in keeping others up to date with other scores.

Back in the day when all games kicked off at the same time.

Celtic getting beat would spread like wildfire round the ground and sometimes turn out to be wrong info. :)
They were the good old days when taking a tranny to the game was not a sexual thing. Use d to be good for half time results and listening to the guy 10 feet away from you giving everyone the commentary on the game on radio scotland even if it was ours and we're all watching it .

The game we beat Dunfermline 6/1 at Ibrox to clinch title number 50 I had a guy sit behind me govan front , tranny perched by his ear the full game reporting what was happening at Kilmarnock . From memory at one point in the second half things momentarily seemed to swing in their favour , then it changed again as it filtered through they’d missed a penalty and we scored , what a bonkers day , always remember thinking he was the most important person in the stadium that day .

In the 80s & 90s, a few of our away European games were played in the afternoon, so I took a radio to work to listen to what was happening.

I knew one of the programme sellers at Tynecastle a Hearts fanatic called Terry, he had his radio and earpiece on all the time.
His nickname was Stereo Terryo

Young team sitting on Instagram and Facebook and not watching the game no doubt
I genuinely see no reason to go on my phone at games, I understand people want to check their coupons or text their mates. But I’d rather sit, watch the football, sing some songs and talk to my mates that I’m with or the fella beside me.

The old dinosaur in me gets a bit sad when everyone grabs their phone at HT and will just sit mindlessly scrolling.

The programmes only used to cost about thruppence so it wasn't really an issue.
Reminds me of a story I heard about Pittodrie in the 70s. Instead of reading out the teams the announcer would say " Today's teamlines are available in the match day programme at points around the stadium for only 5p"

Two games always come to mind when I think of this. The first was the day we were beating Motherwell at home 2-0 on the last day of the 1985/86 season whilst the scum were beating St Mirren 5-0 at Love Street, meaning they had the better goal difference but Hearts were still ahead of them by a point in the race for the title. About 7 minutes to go Dundee scored against Hearts to put them on top and Ibrox was like a morgue. A couple of minutes later the stadium exploded as the word went round from those with trannies (portable radios that is lol) that Kidd had scored, with everyone thinking it was Walter Kidd of Hearts. I was celebrating with the rest when the guy in front of me turned around and, with an ashen face, told us "I don't know what you're all celebrating, it's 2-0 to Dundee (it was Albert Kidd who'd scored). I have never gone from such heights to depths in one moment watching football.

The other one is better. Almost a year later, in February 1987, we were playing Hibs at Ibrox and despite throwing everything at them but the kitchen sink we were a goal down as Rough in their goal had one of those days where he was keeping everything out. It was worse as we knew the scum were 1-0 up at half-time away to Dundee and with them being a point ahead in the league it looked like a big turning point. But as the second half went on every few minutes a roar would go up and spread around Ibrox as the word came through that Dundee had equalised, then went ahead, then scored another and then yet again. It definitely lifted the crowd and that spread to the players and we eventually equalised (Davie McPherson I think?). We only drew 1-1 but their 4-1 defeat and that point we won put us ahead on goal difference and we never lost the league the rest of the season, winning it for the first time in 9 years.

Last edited:
How times have changed. From a tiny proportion of fans doing the tranny thing now to probably 95%+ of fans having a ‘radio’ in their pocket. Christ most have access to an online tv in their pockets.

The older I get the more I think I preferred the pish running down the terraces days.

Anyone do this?

There used to always be some punters with headphones in keeping others up to date with other scores.

Celtic getting beat would spread like wildfire round the ground and sometimes turn out to be wrong info. :)

Yeah, I used to go to games on my own in the old East Enclosure (all my mates had seats in the stands), so it was a way to pass the time before kick off as well as keep up with the scores in other games.

Years ago when i used to stand guard outside Buckingham Palace i had a wee tranny inside my Bearskin with an earpiece attached but to get a signal/reception i had to stand with my head leaning to one side so if any of you guys see a photo of a Guardsman with a tilting head outside Buckingham Palace you now know the reason why.:eek::shh:

I remember asking the teacher if we could watch it and he said "do you see a television in here? If there was one then Inl would allow it" and had a wee laugh to himself thinking he was some kind of comedian. Wasnt funny the next day when I came in with my portable. Now for the kids out there, the word portable back then was a different concept to being able to watch stuff on a phone that you put in your pocket. Thing weighed a tonne and was the smallest of portables.
But give the teacher his due he did let us watch it albeit a shitty reception mainly due to me losing the the aerial on the way and having to fire a wire ciathanger into it
My old man had one of them. Was like a giant VCR with a wee screen in one corner

I used to do it. Had one at the 6-1 league decider vs Dunfermline keeping my section of the main stand up to from Rugby Park.

Not popular at the point during the second half when the Tims were ahead.

Anyone do this?

When I was young I used to get lifted over the turnstiles on condition I would listen to the scores. The roar was amazing as the scores came

Used to see it all the time.

My two notable memories of them,

Standing in the jungle at the piggery during our scottish cup semi final v St Johnstone in 1989 when an old boy with a radio to his ear turned around at half time and told us the Liverpool game at Hillsborough had been abandonded due to crowd trouble.

The guy in the row in front of us at Easter road in May 2005 hitting the roof and everyone around us instantly knowing what had happened at Motherwell!

Back in the 60's you used to see guys with quite large portable radios at Ibrox. I always remember a mob of us gathering round one guy after we had beat Hamilton in Scottish Cup tie. That mob were playing Dunfermline in the cup at Parkhead and we were waiting to hear their score. When it came through that the Pars had won 2-0 there was a fair bit of celebration.

I did, when Hearts were supposed to win the league in 1986, but bottled it allowing the Filth to win it. I was at our game v Motherwell with my mates, listening in to the Dundee-Hearts game, heard a yell from the commentator, radio up to my ear and through the noise heard Kidd had scored. I just thought Walter Kidd and started dancing about, guy in front of us turns round and said "Naw it's Albert Kidd, Dundee are one up." Smashed radio on the floor of the Govan stand and that was that.

I used to take a wee pocket dab radio. Can’t get good enough reception at Ibrox to use my phone. Quite good sometimes hearing commentary or explanations over incidents that you miss when not at the game.

I think about the buzz it must have been at Easter Road on Helicopter Sunday a lot.

First goal goes in, wee guy with radio lets up a shout place goes tonto.

bedlam keeps going and the second one goes in, wee guy can’t quite hear what’s going on but slowly hears and news ripples out like an audio atomic bomb among the crowd.

what a buzz it must have been that day and the ultimate use of a radio at a game

Aye, the same people that want an end of season DVD
philips_vlp700_openlid.jpg

I can only dream of owning a DVD player, I’m still using the Philips laserdisc. The discs are the size of a vinyl album and the films available post Rocky 2 are limited but I’ve made my choice and I’ll stick with it. B-D

Back