Taking age out of the equation Morelos or Defoe

Who would you keep and why?

• Defoe

Votes: 185 31.7%
  • Morelos

Votes: 398 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I don't think people understand the question tbh.

At Morelos' age, Defoe had been voted Spurs Player of the Year whilst playing in the EPL and scored for England in a competitive fixture.

As much as Morelos has the potential to do so. Performing in a top four league and international football is a different level.

That wasn't the question though!

And even still it would be a tough choice as they are entirely different types.

Defoes game hasn't really changed that much, he was just a fair bit faster.

Age aside Morelos is the better player and bigger threat right now, but not by an awful lot.

In his prime Defoe was obviously better, i don't get why many are saying that when Morelos is still only 23 and nowhere near his peak.

What a dilemma to have, it could be argued we have the best 2 strikers in Scotland.

Age aside Morelos is the better player and bigger threat right now, but not by an awful lot.

In his prime Defoe was obviously better, i don't get why many are saying that when Morelos is still only 23 and nowhere near his peak.

What a dilemma to have, it could be argued we have the best 2 strikers in Scotland.

It's not even a debate that we have the two best strikers in Scotland imo.

That wasn't the question though!

And even still it would be a tough choice as they are entirely different types.

Defoes game hasn't really changed that much, he was just a fair bit faster.

The question was 'Imagine both players were the same age and you could only keep one who would you choose and why?'.

Naturally to me you're imagining Defoe at the same age as Morelos is now.

Yeah, I don't think people understand the question tbh.

At Morelos' age, Defoe had been voted Spurs Player of the Year whilst playing in the EPL and scored for England in a competitive fixture.

As much as Morelos has the potential to do so. Performing in a top four league and international football is a different level.

Spurs finished 14th in the premier league that year. This is before the era of Sheikhs and oil money and Scottish teams being non-competitive.
For reference, last season's 14th placed PL team was Bournemouth, and Scotland's very own Ryan Fraser was was their player of the year (rightfully so, as he produced more assists in the PL by anybody not named Eden Hazard).

He and Morelos are around the same age (2 year difference), so it makes an apt comparison, would you take Ryan Fraser for Morelos on a straight swap?

Spurs finished 14th in the premier league that year. This is before the era of Sheikhs and oil money and Scottish teams being non-competitive.
For reference, last season's 14th placed PL team was Bournemouth, and Scotland's very own Ryan Fraser was was their player of the year (rightfully so, as he produced more assists in the PL by anybody not named Eden Hazard).

He and Morelos are around the same age (2 year difference), so it makes an apt comparison, would you take Ryan Fraser for Morelos on a straight swap?

How has it come to this?

Thread was slightly bonkers as it was now we're comparing Morelos and Ryan Fraser.

So age out the question if we gave them both 19 games each I can see Defoe getting more goals per game on average. Alfie has had patches where he dries up for a few games and would miss a few of his 19 through his inevitable suspensions.

If we take age into consideration then Alfie all day long.

I still think we have fans who don't realise how good Morelos is.
I think it's pretty clear from this thread that we have plenty fans who don't realise how good Defoe is too. "Morelos does it on his own but Defoe needs good players around him". What? Nonense. Even Defoe's goal at the weekend was a basic ball in to feet with his back to goal but 5 seconds later the ball is in the back of the net.

How has it come to this?

Thread was slightly bonkers as it was now we're comparing Morelos and Ryan Fraser.

I'm comparing the player of the year for the 14th placed team in the premier league last year with Morelos - because that's what Defoe was at Morelos' age.
Or rather, what I'm saying is that saying Defoe was PotY for Spurs 17 years ago isn't the same as saying he was PotY for Spurs say last year.

I think it's pretty clear from this thread that we have plenty fans who don't realise how good Defoe is too. "Morelos does it on his own but Defoe needs good players around him". What? Nonense. Even Defoe's goal at the weekend was a basic ball in to feet with his back to goal but 5 seconds later the ball is in the back of the net.

Spot on. You can spot the people who don't understand the game with comments like that with regards to Defoe. He's far more than just a goalscorer.

I love morelos but if he was anywere near the level defoe was at same age he would already be in pl banging them in but i expect morelos to go there one day but defoe at morelos age was better imo

They weren't 14th place because of Jermaine Defoe though. He joined them in February of that season and scored 7 goals in 15 games.

I'm not going to get into relating to Jermaine Defoe to Ryan Fraser as it's an absurd comparison. For reference to the point you're trying to make, in 1993, Fiorentina were relegated from Serie A after finishing 16th. They had Batistuta in their team, every season since the best player of the team 16th in that league won't be analogous to Batistuta.

The real point whether some people want to accept it or not is when Defoe was Alfie's age, he'd already been standout at a higher level which the EPL was even before Man City came into the fold.

If it’s a comparison between Morelos and Defoe in their prime, then it’s Defoe all day long for me. Morelos has the potential to be better but right now it’s got to be Jermaine.

People saying Morelos are mental. Defoe at his prime was one of the best goalscorers in British football. The stats back that up. There's a reason we were nowhere near him 10 years ago.

Genuine question - who was Defoe with between 21-23 and was he banging goals in down south then?

Obviously he became a top striker.

I disagree with that, take Sunday as an example, his 1st goal, 4 players surrounding him, ball into his feet, one touch of brilliance and its a goal.

For me Defoe is the type of player you need when others are off as he can make goals from pretty much nothing as we have seen.

It’s a bit of an anomaly though, those goals aren’t typical of Defoe. Ive seen Defoe’s whole career and he does need good service more than his competition.

That’s not to say he’s a Kris Boyd type poacher but he wouldn’t be a great choice going one up top in a tricky European away tie for example.

Back