Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’re never allowed to boo is what you’re saying? I think merchandise buying, subscription-taking and fee-paying fans can do what they like tbh.

Nobody will stop folk booing Rangers players if they want. Just as nobody would stop everyone else thinking of them as tone deaf arseholes.

Why did Clubs stop taking it, us included, then start again?

I didnt hear anyone booing when it was Show Racism the red card boards.

Are folk booing because of the politics behind the BLM ? Or the fact it now is a token gesture that isn’t really addressing racism?

The guy next to me at Madrid turned to his mate and said, "I am so vehemently opposed to empty gestures in football and am going to indicate my disapproval with this hollow action by booing it in such a way that no one can be left with any doubt that I no longer believe that it is addressing systematic issues in race relations in contemporary Great Britain, and I am certain that in no way will it be construed as a criticism of solidarity with black players or the message that black lives matter."

There is a element of our support who don’t care about how their actions make the club or fellow fans look.

Those are the type who will boo.

Would quite happily see them banned for life.

Totally fed up with them.
Everyone is fed up of these gimps.

I get more annoyed about it the more I think about it.

First game back after these guys gave us 55, stopped 10iar and you are going to boo them?

Are they going to boo the team taking the knee if we get Slavia? That will be quite possibly one of the most embarassing moments in our history and make an absolutely mockery of our club & fanbase.

In before the chop.

It’s not going to stop, regardless of some posts on FF. You won’t convince the people booing to stop. They’ll try to justify it in the usual ways.

A recurring theme that will eventually die.

So we’re never allowed to boo is what you’re saying? I think merchandise buying, subscription-taking and fee-paying fans can do what they like tbh.
The guy is clearly saying if you disagree with taking the knee then fans are entitled to boo. However, booing the players for making a 5/10 second anti-racism gesture is utterly moronic. Anybody that is incapable of respectfully standing quiet for those few seconds has something seriously wrong with them.

If you’re going to boo your own team, don’t bother coming.

You’re there to support the team, not piss them off. They’ve said why they’re doing it and think back a few months to the abuse Glen Kamara received.

Disrespecting him and the club if you boo IMO.

It’s not a case of being asked not to book. You’re being blackmailed to not boo. Otherwise, you are a racist.

Bartley’s scattergun approach is prejudicial.

They should’ve appointed somebody with a better track record to be the media go to.

I hope we can do trans-rights next. Maybe open borders?

There are a section of our support who are gleefully viewing this as a chance to 'educate' fellow fans, who they have a hallucinated impression as a frothing racist nutcase. In reality there is little overt racism in our support (and country) and these people are just up their own arse and driven mad by hyperbolic media. The sense of self-importance is absolutely reekin from many of these posts.

It's fun to read, at least.

It’s not a case of being asked not to book. You’re being blackmailed to not boo. Otherwise, you are a racist.
The players have repeatedly said why they do it and how it makes them feel when people abuse them for it. They’ve said it’s got nothing to do with a political ideology and therefore they should be supported. If you disagree that’s fine, but just stand quietly for the five seconds and be respectful.

However, if you’re that utterly warped in the head and uncomfortable by it that you feel the need to boo your own players then you are racist. Simple as that.

The guy is clearly saying if you disagree with taking the knee then fans are entitled to boo. However, booing the players for making a 5/10 second anti-racism gesture is utterly moronic. Anybody that is incapable of respectfully standing quiet for those few seconds has something seriously wrong with them.
“Anti-racism” as an ideology is poisonous. It fuelled a summer of destruction last year and it had brought a race-baiting culture to one of the most racially harmonious countries on earth.

I would never boo it or condone the booing of it but it’s time it was stopped now. It’s been over a year since it started and it hasn’t made one bit of difference which was proven by the slavia tie. Maybe it means something to the players but it doesn’t belong in football or sport for that matter.

People don’t believe that their is no link between taking the knee and the Black lives matter movement.
Therein lies the problem that a lot of supporters have with those taking the knee and therefore the easiest way to solve this would be for the players to come out and say that they do not support the aims of the BLM movement and we can move on.
Before people get on the high horse I do not condone the booing of the players taking the knee.
You're calling Glen Kamara and Connor Goldson liars though.

The players have repeatedly said why they do it and how it makes them feel when people abuse them for it. They’ve said it’s got nothing to do with a political ideology and therefore they should be supported. If you disagree that’s fine, but just stand quietly for the five seconds and be respectful.

However, if you’re that utterly warped in the head and uncomfortable by it that you feel the need to boo your own players then you are racist. Simple as that.
Finger pointing is all this has ever been about for people like you. I bet you feel so good about yourself doing it.

Finger pointing is all this has ever been about for people like you. I bet you feel so good about yourself doing it.
We’ve just celebrated winning 55 and as soon as supporters are allowed back in the stadium the players who delivered it were booed by a few zoomers in the crowd who feel the need to be heard. Nobody can feel good about that because it’s utterly embarrassing and damages the club.

The thought of anyone booing genuinely makes me so depressed. It’s embarrassing.

Anyone that boo’s is pond scum in my eyes. You’re booing Rangers players that just won a invincible league, stopping our rivals getting 10 iar, and the biggest of all, you are booing guys who got racially abused while playing in our shirt, representing our club.

I’ll be gutted if even 1 idiot does it but going by Twitter there will be a sizeable minority, embarrassing.

Sorry where did I say it was ok to boo our players?

The taking the knee movement has done its purpose and got workd attention. Its moved on now imo and we should look at other ways to stamp it out.

Kneeling before a game for 3 seconds no longer has the effect it once had. Move if along to more productive measures.
You are facilitating the behaviour of idiots that are bound to blacken the clubs' name.

Its not for you to decide if taking the knee has been going on for too long. Its for the guys that take racist abuse every day on social media to make that call. As their supporters we should respect that decision and at the very least maintain human decency and stay quiet for 5 seconds

I disagree with the players taking the knee for the following reasons.
1. Sport and politics don't mix well, that's why UEFA have rules. The England football team saluted in a game in 1938 against Nazi Germany. "The image of an England team lining up and performing a Nazi salute remains one of the most evident examples of how sport and politics intertwine. It is also one of the most unsettling moments in the history of the English national team". Do you think that was right that they should perform a political gesture?
2. It is an American import, who do have a severe race problem.
3. It represents those who are trying to change our history by destroying statues and changing what gets taught in our education system, no matter what the players say. If our players had been the first to do it for the reasons they say, I would have supported their choice. It would not have been seen as political but an emotional response to something repulsive.
4. I am a Rangers fan and I believe sincerely that I am not racist and I resent being told, that, I and my fellow fans are if we don't support it and boo it, as I believe in freedom of choice/speech in my own country.
5. In the future we as a club can no longer say, we are not into politics only sport, because now we are, there will eventually be repercussions and the fans will complain. The SNP would like nothing more than have our club and us being dragged into the political arena.
The players have made their point as others have, time to stop and have the fans congratulate them on their integrity and dignity.

People don’t believe that their is no link between taking the knee and the Black lives matter movement.
Therein lies the problem that a lot of supporters have with those taking the knee and therefore the easiest way to solve this would be for the players to come out and say that they do not support the aims of the BLM movement and we can move on.
Before people get on the high horse I do not condone the booing of the players taking the knee.

Connor Goldson has already explained very clearly their reasons

1. Sport and politics don't mix well, that's why UEFA have rules. The England football team saluted in a game in 1938 against Nazi Germany. "The image of an England team lining up and performing a Nazi salute remains one of the most evident examples of how sport and politics intertwine. It is also one of the most unsettling moments in the history of the English national team". Do you think that was right that they should perform a political gesture?
3. It represents those who are trying to change our history by destroying statues and changing what gets taught in our education system, no matter what the players say. If our players had been the first to do it for the reasons they say, I would have supported their choice. It would not have been seen as political but an emotional response to something repulsive.
4. I am a Rangers fan and I believe sincerely that I am not racist and I resent being told, that, I and my fellow fans are if we don't support it and boo it, as I believe in freedom of choice/speech in my own country.
5. In the future we as a club can no longer say, we are not into politics only sport, because now we are, there will eventually be repercussions and the fans will complain. The SNP would like nothing more than have our club and us being dragged into the political arena.
The players have made their point as others have, time to stop and have the fans congratulate them on their integrity and dignity.

Mental on so many levels.

Do you say the same when Tims boo or cough through Remembrance Day silences?

Yea, give that lecture to Kemar Roofe and Glen Kamara. I'm sure your crazy political treatise will make them better understand the racism they still receive daily on Instagram and help them see the error of their ways

Its got f all to do with politics btw

If you’re booing Conor Goldson taking the knee, then you’re booing Goldson.

There’s no nuance. You’re booing the player. One of our players. One of our heroes.

Sad.
If a player gave 2 fingers upto the fan, or gave a wanker hand gesture, would the reaction of the fans be towards the player, or the gesture? It's mental that there are some trying to argue that they are not one and the same.

A player doing something you don't like, and you boo, means you are booing the player. No ifs, buts or maybes.

Also, the amount of airheads that completely ignore what the players say (It's nothing to do with BLM, and everything to do with solidarity against racism), and try to convince themselves, and others that those players are lying. Jesus fucking Christ.

It's in situations like this where I am genuinely embarrassed to be associated with some of the Rangers support. Thankfully it seems to be a very small (albeit very shouty) minority.

Taking the knee. :rolleyes: I thought we were done with this?
I'm against it. I don't like the organisation which this all stemmed from, 'BLM', a group of thugs who want to defund our police, gathers in numbers to trash the place and tear down statues....and that does not mean I'm a racist bigot or someone who doesn't support equal rights!
It just means I want to go to watch a game of football without any political statements being thrown in my face.

I hope we can do trans-rights next. Maybe open borders?

There are a section of our support who are gleefully viewing this as a chance to 'educate' fellow fans, who they have a hallucinated impression as a frothing racist nutcase. In reality there is little overt racism in our support (and country) and these people are just up their own arse and driven mad by hyperbolic media. The sense of self-importance is absolutely reekin from many of these posts.

It's fun to read, at least.
The thing is, it's actually very, very, very rewarding to be better than racists/people who are just up their own "anti-marxism" arse who've been driven mad by hyperbolic media. The sense of self-importance is absolutely reekin from those who think they are so high and mighty they can boo black players who are making a simple gesture reminding people not to be racist to them.

It's fun to tell them to stfu, at least

I'm against it. I don't like the organisation which this all stemmed from, 'BLM', a group of thugs who want to defund our police, gathers in numbers to trash the place and tear down statues....and that does not mean I'm a racist bigot or someone who doesn't support equal rights!
It just means I want to go to watch a game of football without any political statements being thrown in my face.
Why are you, like the other mentalists in this thread trying so hard to convince yourselves that our players are doing it for something political rather than what you’ve clearly been told that they’re doing it for?

LOL, you will struggle going to many grounds and not get that, the two things have always been pretty closely linked.

Full houses and with the UB back you’ll not be able to hear it.

I do wish we had stuck to standing up as a unit like we done towards the the end of last season, I really don’t see anyone booing that.

Get BLM out of your head for 5 minutes and think about the overt racism faced daily by our black players. This is their way of highlighting the racism they suffer

Taking the knee was a thing long before BLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back