Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the knee. :rolleyes: I thought we were done with this?
I'm against it. I don't like the organisation which this all stemmed from, 'BLM', a group of thugs who want to defund our police, gathers in numbers to trash the place and tear down statues....and that does not mean I'm a racist bigot or someone who doesn't support equal rights!
It just means I want to go to watch a game of football without any political statements being thrown in my face.
BLM as a movement and BLM as a message are entirely different things. BLM (the movement) didn't come up with the idea of kneeling. When the TV companies were displaying BLM messages, they weren't giving free advertising to the organisation.

Goldson, Bassey, Tav, Balogun, Aribo, Kamara, Roofe, Morelos, Defoe, Sakala (apologies if I've missed out any black/mixed race players). Do you think these guys are kneeling because they want marxism to overthrow capitalist society and so are promoting BLM (the organisation)? Or do you think they're promoting the message that black lives matter in hopes that white folk will stop wildly racially abusing them at every turn?

You are facilitating the behaviour of idiots that are bound to blacken the clubs' name.

Its not for you to decide if taking the knee has been going on for too long. Its for the guys that take racist abuse every day on social media to make that call. As their supporters we should respect that decision and at the very least maintain human decency and stay quiet for 5 seconds

So I cant have the opinion that i think its ran its course?

We just take the knee forever without actually moving on to other measures to tackle racism?

I didnt once say I thought booing was ok, but I can say that taking the knee no longer has the desired impact it once had.

Yea, give that lecture to Kemar Roofe and Glen Kamara. I'm sure your crazy political treatise will make them better understand the racism they still receive daily on Instagram and help them see the error of their ways

Its got f all to do with politics btw
You think it has nothing to do with politics? I suspect a great number of fans will disagree with you, as BLM are a registered political party. What have I said about social media? I think it's disgraceful what other people say about others. I can't change what others think and I only stated my opinion. You on the other hand are moving the goalposts as many on the forum do and don't address what someone says. I have stated my opinion, you are entitled to yours, but you only deflect.

We just take the knee forever without actually moving on to other measures to tackle racism.

I didnt once say I thoug booing was ok, but I can say that taking the knee no longer has the desired impact it once had.

Does there only have to be one exclusive measure in place?

We just take the knee forever without actually moving on to other measures to tackle racism.

I didnt once say I thought booing was ok, but I can say that taking the knee no longer has the desired impact it once had.
The argument isn't about whether it has solved racism or taken its course it's about how bad it makes us look as a support and how stupid you have to be to boo your own players.

Does any one know which political group is behind the booing of footballers who go down on one knee before a football match?

Needs to be openly discussed.

Found myself applauding it at the weekend (with no intention of doing so) just to try drown out the idiots who boo our players.

An announcement over the tannoy explaining why the players will be taking a knee (as if you don't already know) before they do so will allow a chant or similar to catch on round the stadium. We make a tannoy announcement for the Everyone Anyone campaign ahead of Europa games (I’d guess to show UEFA that we're being proactive).

If the club can extrapolate taking the knee from the organisation Black Lives Matter then things should be fine.

There is no reason to boo a gesture that has been separated from a "movement" with which you disagree.

There should be no need to boo after that. If you are, then there are serious questions to be asked.

The captain and indeed the vice-captain have already done so but that's obviously not enough for some.

I don't care if the players are taking a knee or doing star jumps before kick off, leave them to it and focus on supporting them through the game.

Does there only have to be one exclusive measure in place?

No but when does taking the knee end?

Imo the effect of taking the knee peaked months ago and no longer has the deserved effect. Evidently it's now starting to have a negative effect so imo we should be done wit taking the knee before a football match and try other ways to tackle the problem / raise awareness.

We just take the knee forever without actually moving on to other measures to tackle racism?

You're not taking the knee bud, players in your favourite football team are - if those who are being abused feel its necessary then I'm ok with it.

You may not overtly be saying its ok to boo, but you are making excuses for those who do - how do you think Kamara, Tav, Roofe, Aribo etc etc would feel if you had a discussion directly with them?

I dont agree with booing it either, its idiotic.

But taking the knee imo before a game is now making more negative headlines these days. It should be done with imo.
Ask yourself why it’s making negative headlines though.

It’s literally just knuckle dragging idiots booing and making their entire club/national support look racist that generates negativity.

You think it has nothing to do with politics? I suspect a great number of fans will disagree with you, as BLM are a registered political party. What have I said about social media? I think it's disgraceful what other people say about others. I can't change what others think and I only stated my opinion. You on the other hand are moving the goalposts as many on the forum do and don't address what someone says. I have stated my opinion, you are entitled to yours, but you only deflect.

Our players have said they are not doing it for a political reason ffs.

Have you actually seen the comments by our vice captain? Are you calling him a liar?

But taking the knee imo before a game is now making more negative headlines these days. It should be done with imo.
If I'm being honest I don't really care if they do it or don't. That seems like an easy way to feel silently. These people are going out of their way to make our club look bad.

You don’t get to choose when it ends. The people affected by racism do. In this case they are our players, one of whom suffered disgusting racism just last season ffs.

The negative headlines will be caused by those who boo the taking of the knee. Not the action itself.

Have a look at their Instagram accounts.

Most of the abuse emanates from outside of Scotland, but some does. The source of the abuse is irrelevant
I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that I confidently believe next to zero of their instagram abuse comes from living, breathing Rangers fans. Especially since recent studies have show exactly what you say in terms of online abuse of footballers from India, Russia etc.

No, the players have stated it has nothing to do with politics.

If you dont like BLM thats a perfectly valid position, but taking the knee was an anti racist gesture in American sport long long befire BLM was even a thing

Do you think they are protesting against racial abuse in the city of Glasgow?

And how did the abuse Roofe and Kamara received for weeks on end escape your attention?
The anti-racist school of thought preach that all of us (assuming FF is all white) are racist. By default. That’s their starting point - us sinners must kneel as well.

Daily? Really? You’d think Glasgow was 1950s Arkansas listening to some in here.
Tavernier has spoken publicly that every single black players for us suffered racist abuse at some point last season. Every single one of them. If this 5 second gesture helps them express themselves then they should be supported on it.

There will likely be people booing this who are the first to call the Tramps across the city disrespectful for booing during Remembrance Day silences.

It's actually really sad I've mentally prepared myself for a chorus of boos and the bad PR it's going to bring.

We have an amazing fan base there is a section of total braindead morons out there, the cons of having so many in the support I guess.

I don’t agree with the knee but would never boo, the knee was to support BLM! Don’t see people people booing give Racism the red card. Just research the founders, leaders and who funds BLM! But anyway shouldn’t be booing rangers players if they have made their choice

I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that I confidently believe next to zero of their instagram abuse comes from living, breathing Rangers fans. Especially since recent studies have show exactly what you say in terms of online abuse of footballers from India, Russia etc.
So what?

They receive racist abuse. Full stop.

This is what they are raising awareness of. They just happen to be heroes of Glasgow Rangers

I don’t understand why we’ve went back to doing it. Our players came out and said it’s a token gesture and basically does no good.

Now here we are back to taking the knee and all the division is causes. Whether it should cause division is an whole other argument.

The players and staff stood as a unit and it was way more powerful I felt.

It’s ran its course and the effect has well and truly worn off.

Maybe our players could stand behind a banner with "Rangers for Everyone Anyone : Blue - the only colour that matters" in support of our own Club's initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back