Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see for the life of me what the issue is here. Taking the knee is a sign/form of protest, it was long established before the extremist scumbags on the far left hijacked it. Not one man amongst my peer group, and I'd wager that my peer group is more 'ethnically diverse' than that of anyone else commenting on here, has anything but contempt for BLM UK and Marxism in general.

We see it as yet another example of black culture and struggle being misappropriated for the benefit of those for whom the true aim, racial equality and justice in this case, is not the goal.

No one is asking YOU to kneel, we kneel to protest the injustices that are our everyday lives and to draw attention to the fact that, in the 21st century, we are still not treated as equals.

All those who think the UK to be 'racially harmonious' and that we don't have a problem with racism here, well, let me tell you from bitter experience, you are wrong. I'm not prepared to explain why or list specific examples from my own life (have you any idea how difficult and demeaning that is?!) but I can assure you racism is alive and well in the United Kingdom and has a detrimental effect on people like me EVERY DAY.

We as a support did so well and made me so proud, to the point where merely explaining it to my peers had me in tears of pride, when one of our own was wronged. It means so much to know that people 'get' it. Please, I implore you, don't spoil it by booing OUR OWN when they exercise their right to protest against racial inequality.
Mate could you tell me what you’d like to achieved from this campaign?
Because poor word of mouth travels. That’ll impact on the clubs reputation, it’ll impact on sponsorship deals, it will therefore impact on the club’s earning potential, and it may even be the difference between a player or member of club stuff deciding to come here or go and play elsewhere.

Someone scoffed at the idea a player wouldn’t not sign a new contract because of something like idiots booing their protest. Well it’s really not that big of a reach given the seriousness of the issue they’re protesting, and at the very least it could effect their focus or even how much they’re willing to push themselves for the fans. Of course all of this could be easily avoided by morons deciding to keep schtum for 5 seconds.
Mate they operated a peadophile ring for about 50 years and it hasn’t affected sponsorship. I’ve heard that same thing before about the sectarian singing and it’s never happened.

Off the top of my head I’m sure Zenit, fucking Zenit who’s fans sent an open letter to their board demanding no black players, have 4 black Brazilians just now.

I think you’re worrying more than you need to.

Again, many on the thread have explained at great length to give their opinion on why taking the knee could cause a divided opinion. Most have not mentioned Marxism. But as per usual you and many others can’t resist chucking in the word Marxism making your point just sound like bullsh1t bingo.
Why then, in your opinion, is taking the knee as a form of protest a divisive issue?

Mate they operated a peadophile ring for about 50 years and it hasn’t affected sponsorship. I’ve heard that same thing before about the sectarian singing and it’s never happened.

Off the top of my head I’m sure Zenit, fucking Zenit who’s fans sent an open letter to their board demanding no black players, have 4 black Brazilians just now.

I think you’re worrying more than you n

Ideally, I'd like to live in a world where I'm not asked what I want to be achieved through a 'campaign' for equality and justice for all. I know that's asking a lot but I live in hope.

Why then, in your opinion, is taking the knee as a form of protest a divisive issue?

Ideally, I'd like to live in a world where I'm not asked what I want to be achieved through a 'campaign' for equality and justice for all. I know that's asking a lot but I live in hope.
I didn’t mean that to come across as insulting. I’m genuinely interested in what people who have actually experienced racism in their lives due to their race think and want rather than white people telling me what they think you want.

So what do you think would help that we could support mate?

Take your disappointment and ram it.
Are you sure you work in the mental health sector mate?

Your angry crazy rants would suggest you might need a little assistance with some anger management issues or your quite unstable with your threats to challenge other bears.

I look forward to seeing you do so,if you can could you film it for us as I'm sure it will be a great watch.

There nothing I like see more than fan justice in action,calling out the bigots and racists, a man standing by his words.
I'm sure you will do us all proud.

You’re taking quite an interest in my posting habits son, you ok?

I stand by everything I’ve said in this thread, and I’ll be able to look myself in the mirror tomorrow and know that im not a moron who is desperately trying to push his own insecurities on an anti-racist gesture.
Lol, I’ve stated on several posts that folk who boo our players are not welcome at Ibrox.

You seem to be all triggered “son”

I didn’t mean that to come across as insulting. I’m genuinely interested in what people who have actually experienced racism in their lives due to their race think and want rather than white people telling me what they think you want.

So what do you think would help that we could support mate?
I just wish people would think before they speak/act. Racism hurts, it really does, and we don't deserve it.

Anyone who contests what I have to say, based on my own experience in life, or is thinking of booing on Saturday, watch the video of Glen Kamara falling into Steven Gerrard's arms after the Slavia match. If you can watch that and feel no compassion, if you can watch that and not even begin to understand why protest against racial injustice is necessary, well, on your conscience be it.

I just wish people would think before they speak/act. Racism hurts, it really does, and we don't deserve it.

Anyone who contests what I have to say, based on my own experience in life, or is thinking of booing on Saturday, watch the video of Glen Kamara falling into Steven Gerrard's arms after the Slavia match. If you can watch that and feel no compassion, if you can watch that and not even begin to understand why protest against racial injustice is necessary, well, on your conscience be it.
I don’t think that really answered my question but I don’t disagree with anything you did say there.

Lol, I’ve stated on several posts that folk who boo our players are not welcome at Ibrox.

You seem to be all triggered “son”
Sorry wee yin, I never realised. Your posts are so asinine that they never even registered until you started cyber stalking me.

Pretty creepy Robocop. Pretty creepy.

Could be a whole host of reasons.

You’d be better asking that of some others on here who do.

The point in my post was to discredit halfwits who just come on and quote “Marxism” “Marxist” as a way to dismiss the opposite opinion.

We don’t have a compliant media on our side, that was also kept hush hush for decades as far as the main stream media goes. Here’s a great question, why is it that people who have an issue with what our players do always answer questions with other questions, but none of them seem to answer any direct questions themselves? Great at asking questions, not so good with coming up with answers.

Given that this gesture is global it could absolutely hurt our brand, and I reckon the players will be disgusted with the boos particularly after what happened to Kamara. Instead of looking elsewhere, why not just cut this shite out and eliminate the risk of this happening to us altogether by shutting up for 5 seconds? The lame duck attempts to justify it or make it okay are becoming more and more ludicrous.

Last edited:
I don’t think that really answered my question but I don’t disagree with anything you did say there.
In answer to your question, all I/we want is to be heard. Don't judge anyone on the colour of their skin, don't treat anyone differently, don't seek to 'other' people to excuse any societal failings that may exist. A c*nt is a c*nt, regardless of their origin, same as a good guy can come from any walk of life.

Are you sure you work in the mental health sector mate?

Your angry crazy rants would suggest you might need a little assistance with some anger management issues or your quite unstable with your threats to challenge other bears.

I look forward to seeing you do so,if you can could you film it for us as I'm sure it will be a great watch.

There nothing I like see more than fan justice in action,calling out the bigots and racists, a man standing by his words.
I'm sure you will do us all proud.
Pure caveman stuff from you. Demanding things be settled by a battering over the head with the biggest stick he can find. I'm embarrassed for you.

Pure caveman stuff from you. Demanding things be settled by a battering over the head with the biggest stick he can find. I'm embarrassed for you.
The poster I replied to is saying that's exactly what he's going to do in the centre spot at Ibrox,I look forward to him doing what he says.
Rather than coming across as blustering mad man.
It's him you should be embarrassed for,he deserves to be ripped for that.

Far too many people looking to frame the 'taking a knee' gesture, via a left and right wing prism. It isn't. It's always been done in protest against black oppression and police violence. A lot of folk are all too willing to conflate the official charities 'BlackLivesMatter' with the social media and street level protests across the Western world. They are separate things. Treating it all as one great big homogenous group is politically convenient for right wing people because it's an easy out for dodging a difficult social and moral discussion. You can just palm those concerns off because they don't fit within your lived experience. That's what is dripping out of this thread and every other thread on this matter on this site.

You either agree with the goals of racial equality or you don't. The players, the clubs and numerous FA's globally have all claimed the campaign is to raise awareness for racial equality. Now either they are all lying or have been duped into secretly promoting ideologies that undermine them or they are telling the truth. I know which line of thinking I subscribe to.

You're not booing BLM, you're not booing the gesture, you're not booing Marxism, you're not booing political agitators. You're booing the players. You're telling them that their opinions and their thoughts don't matter. If you can square all that in your own mind, then fine but don't expect people to stand for you doing it. You're entitled to your views and your freedom of speech but everyone else is as well. It cuts both ways.

I hope everyone drowns out the boos and makes those choosing to boo the players feel unwelcome. I also hope those that do have differing views from me, at least respects the players enough to stay silent.

Far too many people looking to frame the 'taking a knee' gesture, via a left and right wing prism. It isn't. It's always been done in protest against black oppression and police violence. A lot of folk are all too willing to conflate the official charities 'BlackLivesMatter' with the social media and street level protests across the Western world. They are separate things. Treating it all as one great big homogenous group is politically convenient for right wing people because it's an easy out for dodging a difficult social and moral discussion. You can just palm those concerns off because they don't fit within your lived experience. That's what is dripping out of this thread and every other thread on this matter on this site.

You either agree with the goals of racial equality or you don't. The players, the clubs and numerous FA's globally have all claimed the campaign is to raise awareness for racial equality. Now either they are all lying or have been duped into secretly promoting ideologies that undermine them or they are telling the truth. I know which line of thinking I subscribe to.

You're not booing BLM, you're not booing the gesture, you're not booing Marxism, you're not booing political agitators. You're booing the players. You're telling them that their opinions and their thoughts don't matter. If you can square all that in your own mind, then fine but don't expect people to stand for you doing it. You're entitled to your views and your freedom of speech but everyone else is as well. It cuts both ways.

I hope everyone drowns out the boos and makes those choosing to boo the players feel unwelcome. I also hope those that do have differing views from me, at least respects the players enough to stay silent.
Couldn’t have put it better myself. I think anyone who’s ever read some of the political threads that have polluted the lounge over the years will know this. Even those who’re culpable will know deep down that’s what they’re doing.

This better pass without incident at the weekend. Anything other than respecting the players wishes will see us tarnished in the media and the like for the foreseeable.

How do you think it'll make Kamara, Tav, Goldson, Roofe, Alfie, Bassey, et al feel?

Beyond that, it's negative for the club in every sense. To what degree is up for debate - but it's wholly negative.

This better pass without incident at the weekend. Anything other than respecting the players wishes will see us tarnished in the media and the like for the foreseeable.
It won't pass without incident, we need to prepare ourselves for that. Our ire shouldn't be aimed at the reaction of the media or the damage it'll do to the reputation of the Club, it should be for the pain it'll cause our black players and supporters.

You do recall we’ve been done by UEFA for ‘racism’, resulting in fines, no away tickets and a section of Ibrox closed.

You do recall we’ve been done by UEFA for ‘racism’, resulting in fines, no away tickets and a section of Ibrox closed.

That's problem we have. Far too many idiots demanding we discuss the minutiae of things. We've already been done for racism by UEFA. Our fans will rightfully contest that it was for sectarian singing, not racism, but the charge was for racism. The press reported it as a racism charge.

Far too many of our supporters think the discussion is going to be given room for nuance. When has there ever been a nuanced discussion involving us in Scottish Football?

They don't seem to get it.

But these people see themselves as more important. More important than the club. More important than the players. More important than the black players who experience racism. More important than Gerrard.

See themselves as modern day crusaders.

See themselves as on a front line of a made up cultural war.

See themselves as taking on (including our own black players) a fight against Marxism. Despite not knowing what Marxism is.

How do you reason with this? It is the most moronic thing our support has ever had to deal with.

Why they are even tolerated on here is a mystery. And a shame.

Why would you boo them though ?
Self entitlement.

'I don't believe we should be doing this. I am also either incapable or unwilling to allow others to express their views without attempting to shout them down'.

Disgusting in principle, at the very least.

What makes it even more pathetic is that we are talking about something that takes less time than the average throw in.

But these people see themselves as more important. More important than the club. More important than the players. More important than the black players who experience racism. More important than Gerrard.

See themselves as modern day crusaders.

See themselves as on a front line of a made up cultural war.

See themselves as taking on (including our own black players) a fight against Marxism. Despite not knowing what Marxism is.

How do you reason with this? It is the most moronic thing our support has ever had to deal with.

Why they are even tolerated on here is a mystery. And a shame.
That’s a great point about these cretins and Marxism, they don’t have a clue what it is or if it affects them in any way shape or form.
What they really mean is that they are using their crusade against Marxism as a cover to be a racist scumbag.
If you don’t like players taking the knee, delay your entry to the stadium or better still, just f.uck off because you aren’t wanted.

I fail to see, after the season we have just had, why Any Rangers fan would want to boo their own. Why??? This team are legends already. They are NOT Marxists (this really is pathetic), they are committed young men who battle tirelessly for each other on and off the pitch. Anyone whose political obsessions are so intense that they cannot allow our players to make a three second gesture against racism, really should not be welcome at Ibrox. I am glad this thread is still going, as it needs to be discussed.

It's no doubt been mentioned previously, but it angers me so much having watched the recent podcast with Leon Balogun where he mentions the moment he full on fell in love with Rangers (The way the club united/supported the players after the Kamara incident).

To think these utter cretins are actively willing to hurt our players due to some ill informed point of view is f**king disgusting :(

They don't need to support it, just stay quiet for 10 seconds.

27 pages , debating wether or not to boo our own players before a ball is kicked.
The same players who were invincible in delivering 55.
Shambles.
If we as a support cannot figure this one out ourselves, then we deserve all the crowing, name calling and bad headlines that will come our way.
Again, 27 fkn pages.

Quite a lot of people saying this thread is depressing, tbh I think it’s the opposite. The vast majority of people on it seem to get that booing the players taking the knee is extremely counterproductive. No matter your views on it, surely it’s pretty obvious that the booing could have a negative effect on the mindset of the players going into a match. Many of them feed off the fans energy when Ibrox is bouncing, surely it’s pretty obvious the opposite could be the case when they are booed for doing something that they hold close to their hearts.
People are never going to agree on the reasons for the gesture but is there any real harm in just staying quiet for that short amount of time? Everyone really just wants the team to be on top form and getting a win.

It won't pass without incident, we need to prepare ourselves for that. Our ire shouldn't be aimed at the reaction of the media or the damage it'll do to the reputation of the Club, it should be for the pain it'll cause our black players and supporters.
Mate if this does happen on Saturday as I said on another thread on this topic which ended up locked, I will stop attending Ibrox.

I will also have no alternative but to leave the stadium immediately.

It seems surreal and unreal that I am saying these words and having to take this personal action but this is where I am now at and it pains me horribly.

I honestly could not accept Rangers players being booed by a section of 'supporters' for making a stance against racism they themselves have and are suffering on account of their ethnicity and skin colour.

I realise that Rangers FC and the vast majority of supporters have done and are doing everything possible in their fight for equality and inclusiveness for all.

Maybe the club will make comment before the game reminding those who need reminding that their actions and conduct are vitally important.

It defies belief that in the midst of a celebratory mood on Saturday that 5 seconds before we kick off a new season as invincibles that it would even cross any Rangers supporters mind to boo the players taking the knee.

It has truly become the enemy within that we are dealing with.

Mate if this does happen on Saturday as I said on another thread on this topic which ended up locked, I will stop attending Ibrox.

It seems surreal and unreal that I am saying these words and having to take this personal action but this is where I am now at and it pains me horribly.

I honestly could not accept Rangers players being booed by a section of 'supporters' for making a stance against racism they themselves have and are suffering on account of their ethnicity and skin colour.

I realise that Rangers FC and the vast majority of supporters have done and are doing everything possible in their fight for equality and inclusiveness for all.

Maybe the club will make comment before the game reminding those who need reminding that their actions and conduct are vitally important.

It defies belief that in the midst of a celebratory mood on Saturday that 5 seconds before we kick off a new season as invincibles that it would even cross any Rangers supporters mind to boo the players taking the knee.

It isn't a Rangers thing, it's a society thing. Don't let anything or anyone stop you following the team you love.

This has been a thing for over a year now and we still have people arguing and using buzzwords like marxism when it's been made abundantly clear that taking a knee is a show in support of antiracism and the statement black lives matter, not the political group with the same name. Booing our players is not a good look for the club and it runs the risk of making our players feel uncomfortable, why would you put a target on the club for everyone to fire at if you love it so much? Same for the sectarian singing.

Do not leave the stadium
Stay. Clap, cheer louder.

For anyone who is intending to boo. Just stay in the concourse a few seconds longer. I personally don't agree with the organisation but I wouldn't boo. Press will have a field day with us.

Edit: @derbyloyal None of the "you" below is addressed at you. I'm jumping off your comment in agreement.

We've got to prepare ourselves to be:

a) making a hell of a noise in support of the players taking the knee on Saturday to drown out any boos. Unambiguous cheering and support.

b) Getting out on social media and unreservedly condemning any boos

c) leaving messages of support on players' Instagram accounts in overwhelming numbers.

This booing nonsense is too serious for us to even be flirting with. No joking, us booing our own players will be an own goal of epic proportions, risking destabilizing the club and potentially the dressing room on day 1 of the season.

Lots of people in here asking what the knee is achieving. Let's turn that around: what the hell do you think booing the kneeling is achieving? Do you want to delight our enemies? Do you want to give scum like James Dornan a free shot at us that will actually make him sound credible? Do you want Steven Gerrard, after everything he has given us, to have to navigate a dressing room where our players are asking wtf is wrong with our fans? Do you want Kamara to walk, because I don't see how he stays if his own support takes part in a gesture that undermines everything that happened to him this year? Who in their right mind would want to shatter the momentum we've built as we gear up for 56 over a 5 second gesture that has lost all relevance to BLM in the UK, to the point that even BLM has said they think it's an empty gesture now (clear sign it's stopped being useful to them, they've lost it).

It doesn't matter if you dislike the knee gesture. I wish it could be replaced with a different stand against racism, to be honest - BUT our players will have my 100% support for as long as they do it.

And we often hear players and managers say "nobody is bigger than the club." The fans aren't exempt from that - it applies to you and me just as much as it does to them. Act in the best interests of Rangers smashing all that come before us on the road to 56 and the Champions' League groups. So however you feel about taking a knee, either get behind the players - noisily - or stay quiet and keep it to yourself.

Edit: @derbyloyal None of the "you" below is addressed at you. I'm jumping off your comment in agreement.

a) making a hell of a noise in support of the players taking the knee on Saturday to drown out any boos. Unambiguous cheering and support.

c) leaving messages of support on players' Instagram accounts in overwhelming numbers.

This booing nonsense is too serious for us to even be flirting with. No joking, us booing our own players will be an own goal of epic proportions, risking destabilizing the club and potentially the dressing room on day 1 of the season.

Lots of people in here asking what the knee is achieving. Let's turn that around: what the hell do you think booing the kneeling is achieving? Do you want to delight our enemies? Do you want to give scum like James Dornan a free shot at us that will actually make him sound credible? Do you want Steven Gerrard, after everything he has given us, to have to navigate a dressing room where our players are asking wtf is wrong with our fans? Do you want Kamara to walk, because I don't see how he stays if his own support takes part in a gesture that undermines everything that happened to him this year? Who in their right mind would want to shatter the momentum we've built as we gear up for 56 over a 5 second gesture that has lost all relevance to BLM in the UK, to the point that even BLM has said they think it's an empty gesture now (clear sign it's stopped being useful to them, they've lost it).

It doesn't matter if you dislike the knee gesture. I wish it could be replaced with a different stand against racism, to be honest - BUT our players will have my 100% support for as long as they do it.

And we often hear players and managers say "nobody is bigger than the club." The fans aren't exempt from that - it applies to you and me just as much as it does to them. Act in the best interests of Rangers smashing all that come before us on the road to 56 and the Champions' League groups. So however you feel about taking a knee, either get behind the players - noisily - or stay quiet and keep it to yourself.
I couldn’t really be more against the taking the knee gesture and what I consider it’s background is and I disagree with one or two things you say here

But for all the posters who have continued to cry racist at every single person who disagrees with them in here

This guys post is how an adult puts across his point in a well considered and FAR more effective and productive way

Your right, but my only question is your reference to social media. As far as I'm concerned this is causing so much of the problems we're having.

Giving a platform to anonymous, faceless bams from around the world, is heading everyone down the wrong path. Abuse followed by more abuse and that's just on here.

The day that guy went on the rampage in NZ should have been the line in the sand moment, until they get their act together.

There's some thoughtful posts on here, but that's a minority. If we are all at each others throats, when we all support the same team, what chance for the rest.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. I think anyone who’s ever read some of the political threads that have polluted the lounge over the years will know this. Even those who’re culpable will know deep down that’s what they’re doing.

It's an excellent observation & is something which unfortunately doesn't just pollute this forum but is absolutely rife on social media as well as almost all political debate (fuelled by the media). I'd argue the obsession of seeing everything through the prism of left or right wing is holding society back but that's for another day

No we weren't that is a lie. We were wrongly done for sectarian singing.
It's not a lie. It's a fact. You can argue about the rights, the wrongs and the lack of consistency from UEFA, but sectarian singing is classed as racism and the charge was racism.

It's not a lie. It's a fact. You can argue about the rights, the wrongs and the lack of consistency from UEFA, but sectarian singing is classed as racism and the charge was racism.
It’s not classed as racism they both are just cobbled together as the same charge.

If you think they are classed the same could you imagine the punishment for a club who’s fans sang about upto their knees in the blood of a derogatory term for black people.

our club was not punished for racism so absolutely stop being disingenuous and trying to portray it that way

Rangers has never and will never have a racism problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back