Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rangers already have a policy of banning people for anti-social behaviour, including but not limited to sectarian singing. Do you think Rangers "make NK look liberal"?
I think comments on here make NK look liberal.
Be careful what you wish for GH.When the same policies that are being advocated for blokes booing are used in other walks of life ,in or outside of football ,I don't think people will be happy

I believe they think what they are doing will make some kind of difference. In my opinion it won't.
Well I hope you'll forgive me for assuming that Tav, Goldson et Al probably don't care about your opinion, especially when you have nothing to contribute by way of an alternative. At the very least, they're exposing a really dark element of our support and this could potentially help rid ourselves of them.

Well I hope you'll forgive me for assuming that Tav, Goldson et Al probably don't care about your opinion, especially when you have nothing to contribute by way of an alternative. At the very least, they're exposing a really dark element of our support and this could potentially help rid ourselves of them.
They are perfectly entitled to ignore my opinion. Just as I am with theirs.

I think comments on here make NK look liberal.
Be careful what you wish for GH.When the same policies that are being advocated for blokes booing are used in other walks of life ,in or outside of football ,I don't think people will be happy
Rangers are entitled to stop anyone they want coming to Ibrox, a right they currently exercise. I don't think this means they're behaving like North Korea so I'm not too worried about your slippery slope fallacy.

No one is asking you to do anything though. Its their decision
They sated that it was pointless. They sated that they would be stopping taking the knee - and they did for our remaining games last season.

Suddenly they are back doing it.

So it is no real surprise that the public out there are wondering why it is still going on - particularly when the players are on record as saying it's just gesture stuff and yields no benefit - which i agree with.

If the players want to do it then it's up to them. Any of our own fans booing our players for doing it need to have a word with themselves. Does it make the slightest difference to someone in the stands if a player takes (or chooses not to take) a knee? If you don't agree with the gesture then just ignore it.

I cannot believe we still have Rangers fans on here that are absolutely blind to the great damage any booing will do to the club.

We have just won the most important title in decades and yet the first thing cranks want to do is boo the players.

It truly is alarming.

They sated that it was pointless. They sated that they would be stopping taking the knee.

Suddenly they are back doing it. So it is no real surprise that the public out there are wondering why it is still going on - particularly when the players are on record as saying it's just gesture stuff and yields no benefit - which i agree with.
I can't speak for our BAME players, but obviously they feel its a gesture worth making if other black players in England and clubs across Scotland are continuing to do it.

It shouldn't have any impact on our support of them as men and Rangers players either way

You want teams to ask players to stop protesting in a certain way?

"I know you and many of your colleagues are racially abused almost daily, but can you stop doing the, you know, fist thing? Some people aren't too happy with you showing solidarity with other oppressed people. Thanks. BTW, good session in the gym earlier, keep up the good work"
Is it about black power or equality?So ,whilst we are going down the ' educational' path,is it too much to explain to certain people power does not equate to equality?

My view ,for what it's worth is I'd rather the players all Linked up and held a kick it out banner up .Like Millwall did.
And for the record,as a English man ,if my team had walked off the pitch as a collective due to booing of black players in some European backwater,I'd back them completely.
I feel they should back their mates .A team doing that will have far more punch than taking the knee

Is it about black power or equality?So ,whilst we are going down the ' educational' path,is it too much to explain to certain people power does not equate to equality?

My view ,for what it's worth is I'd rather the players all Linked up and held a kick it out banner up .Like Millwall did.
And for the record,as a English man ,if my team had walked off the pitch as a collective due to booing of black players in some European backwater,I'd back them completely.
I feel they should back their mates .A team doing that will have far more punch than taking the knee
Fair enough, but its not really your place to tell racially abused sportsmen how to protest

And it's absolutely %^*& all to do with them, can't believe the sheer arrogance and self-importance of people who think it is their place to say the players shouldn't be doing it. Truly staggering.

So if it's the players rights to what they like is correct,do the fans have to agree with it? Is it sheer arrogance by the players or clubs to presume the fans will back it?

This will get very messy throughout the UK

I've not seen a single poster on this thread say they are planning to boo.
That's the thing though I bet none of these morons will be folk who log on and debate on FF or listen to the likes of H&H.

I can personally have a good guess at some of the folk I've known who would be doing it. Whether or not people in this thread have admitted to it we know it still was clearly audible.

Yeah we're all bears and that but I'm not shying away from the fact there's an embarrassing arsehole element that just do not care and have absolutely no social filter or decorum.

Just to clarify I'm saying this as someone who is against the kneeing for its association with BLM and the whole George Floyd thing as well. However in saying that I can remain silent for a few seconds easily.

Serious question is this taking the knee going to be around forever now?

It lost its effect about a week after the first time and we are now over a year down the line and teams are still doing it

I’m sure 22 players at Stenhousemuir v Stirling taking the knee is going to have a great effect on world racism

'Casual' racism and discrimination goes on every minute of every day in a workplace someplace.
I've worked next to many black people, especially in amazon. Cant say I've witnessed any, in fact people were mixing and getting on well enough.

You'll need to explain this a bit more. Is it in your work? Have you experienced it?

If the players want to do it then it's up to them. Any of our own fans booing our players for doing it need to have a word with themselves. Does it make the slightest difference to someone in the stands if a player takes (or chooses not to take) a knee? If you don't agree with the gesture then just ignore it.
It's an empty gesture to most of us as it will never eradicate racism. However if the Rangers players feel it may make a difference, why would anyone with half a brain chose to boo this?

The backlash in the press the club will receive only please our enemies.

How difficult would it be to stay quiet for five seconds? Look away. Tie your lace. Miss kick off. Do whatever but don't feckin boo.

And it's not your place to tell fans how to react either
Indeed, but dont come crying when Rangers are dragged through the gutter, again, because some of our followers have embarrassed themselves

Dont come crying if Kamara decides to leavevor Goldson doesnt sign a new contract

Dont come crying if we draw against Livingston because of the effect on the players

Dont come crying if you lose your season ticket

One minute they are doing it.

Then they stopped doing it saying it's a waste of time.

Now they are doing it again.

Mixed messaging.
It doesn’t really matter though, does it? If this is how they wish to express themselves then we should support them and have enough respect to quietly observe for all of the five seconds that it takes.

It's an empty gesture to most of us as it will never eradicate racism. However if the Rangers players feel it may make a difference, why would anyone with half a brain chose to boo this?

The backlash in the press the club will receive will give only please our enemies.

How difficult would it be to stay quiet for five seconds? Look away. Tie your lace. Miss kick off. Do whatever but don't feckin boo.
I get what you are saying.IMO a stance that everyone could be happy with is the solution.
I doubt there will be anyone who truely loves racism in Ibrox.What is apparent,in Ibrox and throughout the UK is fans don't seem happy with anything BLM related.
So to carry on doing the knee when rightly or wrongly it's linked by people to BLM isn't the answer.It will cause more aggro and the booing won't stop.I will bet it increases

If there was better communication coming out the club, things could be clarified better.

We were all told that the team were fed up with the knee stuff......and now they are doing it again.

What has changed since the end of last season ? That's a crucial point and would at least give the fans a perspective on the whole situation. When you do something, then you diss it and then you start doing it again, is it any wonder fans are questioning the whole thing ? I mean, how long before they maybe start dissing it again ??

Serious question is this taking the knee going to be around forever now?

It lost its effect about a week after the first time and we are now over a year down the line and teams are still doing it

I’m sure 22 players at Stenhousemuir v Stirling taking the knee is going to have a great effect on world racism
Please make it stop. Ban Twitter instead as that’s were 90% of the abuse reported by MSM seems to come from.

They sated that it was pointless. They sated that they would be stopping taking the knee - and they did for our remaining games last season.

Suddenly they are back doing it.

So it is no real surprise that the public out there are wondering why it is still going on - particularly when the players are on record as saying it's just gesture stuff and yields no benefit - which i agree with.
The public aren't wondering why it's still going on. Let's actualy be honest about what people understand instead of finding ways to feign confusion and ignore the message.

Every single person discussing this and in the stands knows exactly why the players take the knee when they do it. The players have been quoted umpteen times here alone on exactly why they do it.

Nobody is standing around and honestly not knowing the reasons the players are on their knee prior to a match.

The only issue is folk who either decide that they don't accept the players' own explanation of why it is or folk who outright oppose them and the message.

Taking a knee doesn't end racism and nobody expects that to be the actual result. Taking the knee is indicating that the issue is still there and as long as we are talking about it it is doing its job by keeping the topic highlighted.

The only people who can actually end racism are the folk partaking in it and until the rest of us all get behind the message that has even less chance of happening.

Quibbling and bickering over the historical or political significance of the specific gesture they choose is a distraction far more empty than the gesture itself and simply becomes a means of not actually talking about the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back