Talking to people who know nothing about football

I took two young female clients to Aston Villa (long story) who got well into the match.Villa attacked but when the ref blew for offside and the crowd went quiet they were both shouting “Shoot”, “Don’t stop”.They still don’t know now why everybody laughed and I didn’t have the heart to tell them.

Wife was once watching a game with me. Her brainstorm was why does the keeper not just run with the ball in his hands as he is the only one allowed to touch it.

In her defense she is Canadian.

Is it just me that gets annoyed when people who know nothing about football and have no interest in it try and talk about it? Always worse when the world cup or Euro championships are on.

Father in law, who doesn't bother with it normally, hits out with 'the world cup has been rubbish so far' earlier. Now am thinking how the feck would you know but try and be polite and tell him it doesn't usually get good til the knock out stages. To which he replies aye but a lot of the big teams are already out, Germany has been knocked out I seen :D

Wish they just wouldn't bother.

Wwlco.e to FF

Think you'll find lots of football fans dont know an awful lot about it. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

I'm no expert but still love watching the game

I think its worse listening to Know it all pele's to be frank.

Is it just me that gets annoyed when people who know nothing about football and have no interest in it try and talk about it? Always worse when the world cup or Euro championships are on.

Father in law, who doesn't bother with it normally, hits out with 'the world cup has been rubbish so far' earlier. Now am thinking how the feck would you know but try and be polite and tell him it doesn't usually get good til the knock out stages. To which he replies aye but a lot of the big teams are already out, Germany has been knocked out I seen :D

I was thinking just this listening to Martin O’Neill earlier

Think you'll find lots of football fans dont know an awful lot about it. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

I'm no expert but still love watching the game

I think its worse listening to Know it all pele's to be frank.
I find its usually lads who played local football, no higher than Sunday league level..but they claim to know more than you as they've " played the game"

Went to my local Chinese takeaway earlier today to collect some food, overheard a guy talking about England at the World Cup.." Well i'd like to see Henderson dropped for tomorrow,all he does is pass it sideways"

If people aren't into football I'd rather they just admitted it than pretending to have a working knowledge based on what they've picked up from conversations in pubs and social media.

If people aren't into football I'd rather they just admitted it than pretending to have a working knowledge based on what they've picked up from conversations in pubs and social media.

I don't pretend to know anything about another sport. There's literally nothing meaningful I could contribute to a conversation about any sport other than football

I don't pretend to know anything about another sport. There's literally nothing meaningful I could contribute to a conversation about any sport other than football
I have a working knowledge of cricket but not enough to make me want to join in a conversation with people who properly know what they're on about.

Funnily enough it was also an "Arsenal fan" who once told me that Thierry Henry was a great player but not really a goalscorer. I said "isn't he your all-time record goalscorer?" and he replied "no don't be daft that's Wrighty. Bergkamp scored more than Henry" o_O

I just stared at him for a bit and started talking about something else.

No offence to real Arsenal fans but, having lived in London nearly 20 years, they are easily the club with the biggest fake fans.

Has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of punters who post on FF know very little about football
Just sayin
I on the other hand played up until primary school and I could take a team to the World Cup finals piece of piss

I live in Australia, so it's a fkn nightmare here at the minute as they are in the World Cup, which means every Aussie has to suddenly become knowledgeable about the game.

Be glad when they all go back to the egg chasing and aerial ping pong as some of the comments I hear drive me mental.

(EG Having to tell them It's not a " penalty" if it's outside the box, it's a " Free Kick" ffs)

It's like watching the fitba with a bunch of housewives !!

If you don’t like football then there is something wrong with you and if you don’t love The Rangers then imo you are an irrelevance.

Guy in the doctors informed me he put money on Europe to win their section and the bet looks good after the first game:(

Its a pity he's not Catholic and a Rangers hater otherwise he would be right on track for the Compliance officers job.

I'm with you here. They started a world cup sweepstake here in the office, half of the guys had filled it in by the time I got there, I wanted to pick a draw for a few of the games, but they hadn't thought of a draw. Nobody else had noticed. Utterly clueless.

TBH I know nothing about football. I just care passionately about Rangers. I’m clueless about tactics and formation etc.

Just keep reading on here mate we’ve got the best scouts , fitness coaches , tacticians , chairmen , directors of football and managers who will keep you right ;)

I sit next to an egg chaser in work. Her husband goes to all the six nations games (he’s an Englishman) and they have parties when the games are on. Personally I don’t get it. All I ever hear from her about the football is about how rubbish the game was and that every time she looked at the tv someone was rolling about. Complains about how much they get paid too. Don’t really think you’ll find any football fan that enjoys seeing the money some guys get paid, when we’ll never make in a lifetime what some get in a week.

Oh, and they should ban Old Firm games. Just ban them. Outright. Scrap four fixtures from the season and keep us out of the cups.

The phrase that gets me is when folk who don't like or understand the game say "It's just a game"

It is obviously so much more than that to so many people and I could go on a rant about what it means to fans of the game. Suffice to say that if you can't understand why football is so much more than just a game then you shouldn't comment so shut the fuq up

I live in Australia, so it's a fkn nightmare here at the minute as they are in the World Cup, which means every Aussie has to suddenly become knowledgeable about the game.

Be glad when they all go back to the egg chasing and aerial ping pong as some of the comments I hear drive me mental.

(EG Having to tell them It's not a " penalty" if it's outside the box, it's a " Free Kick" ffs)

It's like watching the fitba with a bunch of housewives !!
Mate your in Queensland thats worse.

About a year ago I was working down in York for a bit. The work hired us a motor to drive down in, and I was meeting the new guy to drive down. It was the day of the OF semi final we lost 1-0 and he tried to talk to me about it...my opinion of him dropped when he told me who he wanted to win the cup....

England.

That’s right. England. The national team. To win the Scottish cup.

Thought he was joking, but no.

Biggest dobber I remember was a guy in my work who claimed to be an Arsenal fan but could barely name any of their players asking one night in the pub after they’d won the Double in ‘98, “Right, so that means we play Champions League matches on Wednesday nights and Cup Winners Cup games on the Thursdays?”

I didn’t correct him.

“Aye, that’s right.”

Not the answer to be giving, puts you in the same boat as him.

Never try and explain the away goals rule to someone who is pretty clueless about football as you might just end up in Leverndale after being asked things like - "so if they win 3-0 that means they have won 6-0?" Aarrgh!!
That's on you. One of the stupidest things anyone can say is away goals count double. - no they don't ffs!

Back