Talksport on Lennon

I made an exception to my rule and watched a good bit of their game last night. They did not control it. It was at best a 50/50 encounter against a depleted Sparta team. This isn't a certain narrative.

They fail to track runners, and are destroyed by any pace whatsoever. It is not a confidence issue, it is not a psychological issue, it is a very average team issue.

Laxalt, the worlds greatestest left back is an extremely fast runner who CAN go by a player at speed more often than not runs into trouble and either crosses blindly to no-one or loses it and gets caught way out of position. On the other side the guy they dropped in for ping pong, elhamed, does similar and his crossing was lazy, again throwing into noone.

McGregor looked as if he was running out of air after about an hour. Christie should have been red carded after his latest stamp through petulance. Ntcham is a liability when facing decent, not great, players. Brown is reduced to making last ditch tackles because he is so off the pace. Rogic is and always was skilfull but no stamina

Their latest combo of defenders cannot keep track of runners, any interplay between forwards and they are all over the place. They are decent, not good, in the air. They are awful when faced with movement.

I emphasize again, this was mainly Sparta's 2nd and 3rd choice players. Not saying they weren't decent but they're not someone we would worry much about. If they were offered the same amount of money wasted on Barkas, the mentally challengeds could have bought most of that Sparta team from last night.

Sparta B/C had 13 shots on goal 7 on target. mentally challengeds had 8 and 4 on target. Of those, Sparta scored 4 and hit the post. They scored 1 and fluffed any other decent chances. Sorry, but how does that equate to controlling a game?

Their 'extremely dangerous' striker missed an absolute sitter, falling on his arse 4 yards from goal and went off 'injured' because he couldn't be bothered. Definitely looked a Suttonesque injury.

They are a team devoid of ideas. They look like us 2nd half of last year but with worse players. How you managed to see anything other than that I am not sure.

If you are worried that they are capable of beating the SPFL dross that's fine, they are. If you are worried they can get better, of course they can. If you are worried that they are as good as us, rest easy. They are nowhere near our level. We need to keep winning but unless we implode again this year, and we might, we have their measure. That is the first time in years I have genuinely thought that.
This in a nutshell. The Sparta chance that came back off the post to one of their players was similar to the Edouard chance in that he seems to be wrong footed to do anything with it when it arrived at him (having said that the Edouard miss was 100% worse) but, at the end of the day, they are deluded in their beliefs the they still have a much better squad than us and we are pish.... but let them keep believing this

Let’s not kid ourselves Celtic were well on top in the game last night.
They have some very good players who have a winning mentality.
Their goal was a cracker from a very dangerous striker.

However they have a very poor defence and clearly don’t know the best way to fix it. Last night’s major changes had no effect and to add to their woes Brown seems to really have imploded. Bringing back Foster at Christmas would help their team greatly.

The Lennon factor is hard to gauge. Any manager under the pressure that has built around him can become a drag on the team. I would rather he was there than he was not as I think overall in the current circumstances he is having a negative influence.

Going out of Europe in the longer term will help them this season.

I do worry when I read post after post as if they are hopeless, as they are capable with a few changes of keeping pace with us.
Very sensible post and we should all just take a step back and calm down. We are doing brilliant this season and it does feel like the players have learned a few lessons regarding last seasons implosion after New Year, but it’s so early in the season,they will improve wether through a new manager or a last throw at the dice in the January Transfer market. Let’s just keep a lid on it, enjoy our performances and let the season unfold

Very sensible post and we should all just take a step back and calm down. We are doing brilliant this season and it does feel like the players have learned a few lessons regarding last seasons implosion after New Year, but it’s so early in the season,they will improve wether through a new manager or a last throw at the dice in the January Transfer market. Let’s just keep a lid on it, enjoy our performances and let the season unfold
There is a lot of football to be played and it would be worth remembering that it was a two-sided thing last year. After the winter break we collapsed in form and at the same time they massively changed theirs for the better, appearing to have put the time to good use. It was a critical time.

This season feels different. We seem more focused and determined, with greater squad depth. That should give us confidence but not complacency.

For them, it's going to be very interesting to see if he can perform the same kind of turnaround he did last year from a much more intensely poor position and under greater pressure.

If we focus on ourselves and maintain the form through the festive period and into the new year, we won't have to worry about them.

Tbh home games mean fek all to alot the club's the now the mhanks included. No tramps to cheer them on. I can see the dropin a couple of points tbh.
Hope so - just dont think its the end of the world if he makes it through the next series of fixtures as ultimately the writing is on the wall for him - would prefer they did it when its too late for them to get a decent replacement in. I dont particularly want them getting a lift from a new manager

In what way does being humiliated in Europe “help them this season”?

It’s an odd narrative when failure is a good thing.
Roll the financial factor into the fold and it makes for nothing but negativity.

They have conceded more goals than any other team in the group stages, the rock bottom worst team in the group stages... And that is a fact.

could do with all 9 being in the league though.

again, whilst it’s great to watch them stall, 5 points is easily caught if we have a stumble or take foot off gas (we’ve been guilty of that twice so hopefully we’ve learnt from it)
The majority on here don't see that.

The sooner they drop more league points the better as that may see Lennon punted.

However they have a very poor defence and clearly don’t know the best way to fix it. Last night’s major changes had no effect and to add to their woes Brown seems to really have imploded. Bringing back Foster at Christmas would help their team greatly.

The Lennon factor is hard to gauge. Any manager under the pressure that has built around him can become a drag on the team. I would rather he was there than he was not as I think overall in the current circumstances he is having a negative influence.

I do worry when I read post after post as if they are hopeless, as they are capable with a few changes of keeping pace with us.
They are not hopeless, but their domination of the ball and territory last night was the equivalent of empty calories.
It doesn't mean that they were better than the Czech side, it just means that the Czech side possibly allowed them a lot of the ball and territory in order to exploit their inability to defend when a team breaks.
Europe is often a matter of clever tactics and awareness of your opponent.
Steven Gerrard is proving to be a master of the dark arts of European football, whilst Lennon and Rodgers before him were less so.

No problem in revelling in their misery at the moment surely.

There is a lot of football to be played and it would be worth remembering that it was a two-sided thing last year. After the winter break we collapsed in form and at the same time they massively changed theirs for the better, appearing to have put the time to good use. It was a critical time.

This season feels different. We seem more focused and determined, with greater squad depth. That should give us confidence but not complacency.

For them, it's going to be very interesting to see if he can perform the same kind of turnaround he did last year from a much more intensely poor position and under greater pressure.

If we focus on ourselves and maintain the form through the festive period and into the new year, we won't have to worry about them.
100 % agree

whilst we appear to be different mentally, we have a long way to go and anything is possible.
Correct, we are always only 90 minutes from disaster and letting them back in the hunt.
Then there will be mass panic on here.

And to think some on here were glad they got a point v Hibs. Ach it's only a point and keeps TLB there longer. Arguing with me it was best they didn't lose :rolleyes:

And yet I was told that increasing your points lead in the league was always best.

The geniuses of FF !

They were only on top while they were losing 2-1, yet created only one chance. Sparta played with them
I watched the BT highlights of their game last night and whilst Edouard scored a cracking goal that had the commentator slavering, later in the game he missed an absolute sitter of an open goal from inside the 6 yard box. May all their inconsistencies be continuous.

White is a bottom feeder and when you're swimming in a cesspit of shite like he does, it's truly remarkable that he's managed to gnaw his way to the bottom.

The cuunt smells of shite, and you can take that to the bank

Apparently they've enquired about sending Duffy back in January but have been told they'll have to pay his full wages for the year regardless of he stays or they send him back. A club and a manager that are currently floundering
That doesn’t sound true

I fail to see how arguing up is down, black is white is a very sensible post.

Celtic were crap last night. Celtic were clearly 2nd best. Celtic lost 8-2 on aggregate to a distinctly average European team ravaged by Covid who have lost all of their last 4 games out with Celtic.

There is nothing sensible about completely lying about these things and then Claiming other bears are jumping on bandwagons or exaggeratiNg their performance.

I assume in your and kazcop or whatever his name is, world that Hamilton and Aberdeen were the better team v us right? That would be the “sensible” analysis.

That doesn’t sound true
Whether true or not, it makes a lot of sense from their point of view.

They are paying a fortune for a player who has been rank rotten and is now well down the pecking order. In the last few weeks he has been their 4th choice entre-back, with Ajer, Bitton & Julien all getting picked, whilst Duffy warmed the bench.

His wages from January till the end of the season will be around £1m, so why wouldn't they want to chance their arm and try to get rid of him asap and given his form, Brighton are quite right to hold them to the terms of the loan contract.

Whether true or not, it makes a lot of sense from their point of view.

They are paying a fortune for a player who has been rank rotten and is now well down the pecking order. In the last few weeks he has been their 4th choice entre-back, with Ajer, Bitton & Julien all getting picked, whilst Duffy warmed the bench.

His wages from January till the end of the season will be around £1m, so why wouldn't they want to chance their arm and try to get rid of him asap and given his form, Brighton are quite right to hold them to the terms of the loan contract.
I mean specifically the part about sending him back yet still paying his wages. Surely he only goes back if the financial aspect of the deal ends too.

No way he sits at Brighton Jan to May while the mentally challengeds pay his wages.

I doubt that’s ever happened or is allowed.

They are crumbling under the pressure but effectively just 5 points behind. They are still better than the rest and potential could still scrape along on an unbeaten run. Our relentlessness and not giving them a sniff is piling the pressure on and making it very difficult for them. However one slip up from us could spark a bit of hope and rally an upturn in their form. So in other words, their troubles are in our hands. If we can avoid complacency, keep winning, the pressure exerted on them will prevent their resurgence. We are as a support getting a little carried away( probably justifiably) but with 25 games to go, there can be a lot of twists and turns.
It’s all in our hands.

They will be on the phone begging Lurch to come back, he’s not played for Southampton as far as I’m aware.
Lovely idea for them I’m sure but at 90k a week they definitely can’t afford it. They have 3 keepers already at significant cost. I’m not even sure he would help them much. The goals they’re losing aren’t keeper errors they are often tap ins due to awful defending.

Also Foster is the official number 2 this season, if Southampton let him go they’ll need to bring the other guy back from his loan.

Don’t see it this year.

Totally agree with this. Celtic have good players and I don't think there is much between us and them when both teams are on form. If they go on a run and we have a stumble there will be nothing in it. Gerrard of course knows this fine and will have everyone fully focused.

It isn't that long ago some rangers fans wanted Gerrard to go and celtic fans were lording lennon. Things can change really quickly in football and there is a lot of hysteria in the moment. We have put ourselves in a very solid position and are playing well and can enjoy just now, but for me that is it. It is November, a very long way to go with many twists and turns no doubt.

I mean specifically the part about sending him back yet still paying his wages. Surely he only goes back if the financial aspect of the deal ends too.

No way he sits at Brighton Jan to May while the mentally challengeds pay his wages.

They might be paying a loan fee for him and paying him appearance and win bonuses too. We have no idea what’s involved.

Totally agree with this. Celtic have good players and I don't think there is much between us and them when both teams are on form. If they go on a run and we have a stumble there will be nothing in it. Gerrard of course knows this fine and will have everyone fully focused.

It isn't that long ago some Rangers fans wanted Gerrard to go and celtic fans were lording lennon. Things can change really quickly in football and there is a lot of hysteria in the moment. We have put ourselves in a very solid position and are playing well and can enjoy just now, but for me that is it. It is November, a very long way to go with many twists and turns no doubt.
So as you totally agree with that, you agree “Celtic were well on top last night”. Last night being Thursday of course. Where they were absolutely humbled by a far superior team.

If so, the rest of your post is pish.

They might be paying a loan fee for him and paying him appearance and win bonuses too. We have no idea what’s involved.
2 mil loan fee widely reported no?

But agree, of course no one knows the specifics.

Just can’t agree any team would send a player back to his parent club and continue to pay their wages. Not sure FIFA/UEFA would even allow such a practice to be legal.

Oh, one more thing, we know he isn’t getting any win bonuses! ;) :))

So as you totally agree with that, you agree “Celtic were well on top last night”. Last night being Thursday of course? Where they were absolutely humbled by a far superior team.

If so, the rest of your post is pish.
No I don't agree they were well on top - not for the whole game anyways. I think 4-1 flattered sparta a bit though.
However i still think things are very close between us and them. I would be surprised if the league wasn't close and didn't go down to the wire. There is a huge amount of football to be played,injuries/suspension/ luck/ fans coming back - we don't know how all of this will play out. I am delighted with our start as any rangers fan is, but I am cautious as well.

It's all down to the wording of the contract. It would appear to be a season long deal, with Celtc paying a £2m loan fee plus his wages (£45k a week).

There could be a clause giving either club the option to cut the deal short in Jan with or without the other club's agreement, but such a clause tends to favour the parent club, giving them the option to recall the player.

Alternatively, it's a straight season long deal, with no early return clause and Celtc are just chancing their arm. In which case, Brighton are quite right to say, "it's up to you whether or not you send him back, but the contract states that you will pay his wages till the end of the season and we want our money."

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be allowed.

They will, sadly, win their next 5 or so league games until they face us, 4 at home against nobody who are in top 4 in the league and away to Hamilton

We better expect them to take 15 points before they get to us, its up to us though to take 18 points we have available, we are away 4x tho, and then heap the pressure back on by beating them at New year

The reaction of some Rangers fans concern me, there is a long long way to go and we have to keep winning to ensure we give them no respite
Treat every game as a cup final!!

Forster is coining it in at the moment without playing (over £5million in wages since he last played a match), so I would guess that any move depends on him being able to wring the cash out of Lawwell. MSN has a story about a loan for a young Man Utd keeper. The car park will be full if that's the choice they make.
We maybe see a dumb vs dumber set to yet then?

It certainly won’t help their finances or reputation. Their bigger name players wanted away before they got pumped out of Europe and will not want to stick around now.

Make no mistake the pressure is on them big time. Any more blunders and they will be well behind in the league by Christmas with little money, or appeal for potential signings, to bring in better players. The majority of decent players they have are engineering moves away and two of them are on loan.

We are in a position of real strength and if we can maintain our current form, this season will be ours.

It isn't that long ago some Rangers fans wanted Gerrard to go and celtic fans were lording lennon. Things can change really quickly in football and there is a lot of hysteria in the moment. We have put ourselves in a very solid position and are playing well and can enjoy just now, but for me that is it. It is November, a very long way to go with many twists and turns no doubt.
Of course you do. I give it another 5 or so posts. Best of luck.

It's all down to the wording of the contract. It would appear to be a season long deal, with Celtc paying a £2m loan fee plus his wages (£45k a week).

There could be a clause giving either club the option to cut the deal short in Jan with or without the other club's agreement, but such a clause tends to favour the parent club, giving them the option to recall the player.

Alternatively, it's a straight season long deal, with no early return clause and Celtc are just chancing their arm. In which case, Brighton are quite right to say, "it's up to you whether or not you send him back, but the contract states that you will pay his wages till the end of the season and we want our money."

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be allowed.
The last part is correct they paid a 2 million loan fee and the obligation to cover his wages for the season and no return clause they were so confident him being this big superstar for them that they agreed on any deal to get him. Another one is that the guy soro is awful so bad in training that they wont give him game time at all. singed from a team in Israel because they had a good track record buying players from there basically a punt. The guy that told me this is the most rational mentally challenged I've met he doesn't have his head in mental I'll phill podcasts or listen to whats said on clyde1 he can admit we're a far better side and that we look like we have a game plan every week as a team while they hope individuals and pull them out the shit hes a decent enough guy for being one of them I see him through work occasionally. He text me yesterday saying " what's worse at the start of the season none of us saw it coming and some don't want to believe its actually happening " I love there pain

For me, we should worry about them and their SFA placemen right up until Tav gets his hands on that 55th league trophy.

Back