TalkSPORT- Steven Gerrard speculation

I can honestly see it being a leave of absence till the summer then it being made permanent, I think the Liverpool No.2 post would be perfect for SG.

As regards us, it was always pie in the sky, I really don't think SG would've even gave one single thought about becoming our manager, and I cant say im too bothered really.

It goes at odds with what we've heard from people and from the papers. Papers said there was three small things that needed cleared up that weren't budget related.

You're not wrong on that, I just think SG being manager is actually a bigger risk to our future success on the field than anyone remotely experienced and I would include literally every SPL manager in that. I wont provide examples, as the infants on here will start giving it the “OMG HE'S NOT EVEN IN FIFA” patter, but if Gerrard knocked us back and we ended up with a so called 2nd rate Scottish manager I would be more confident for next season than I am at the moment.

I see where you are coming from, dont you think we would end up with better players under Gerrard than we will under a Neill for instance ?

Its a catch 22, better players with a manager just starting out

or

half decent manager with probably more championship players

I would rather take a punt on the former but i can see both sides, i understand its a monumental risk

I felt Murphy knew more than he was letting on. At one point he was stalling, trying carefully to choose the right words.

One thing he was clear about though was the fact that the Liverpool no 2 role had no bearing on Gerrard’s decision making process. Makes you wonder why is he so sure?

I felt Murphy knew more than he was letting on. At one point he was stalling, trying carefully to choose the right words.

One thing he was clear about though was the fact that the Liverpool no 2 role had no bearing on Gerrard’s decision making process. Makes you wonder why is he so sure?
They not already appoint someone as Kloops assistant?

Another strange decision. Why are we even telling Sky this before its a done deal?

They shouldn't be saying anything until they hold the press conference announcing the new manager. Shambolic way this has been handled.

PLEASE DONT GET THIS DONE.
After yesterday’s performance we NEED an experienced manager, Murty has shown we need experience in the dugout SO come on board get your finger out and get someone in who knows what he is doing.
WATP

Easier said than done, no one will accept the job unless their promised a good financial package and a golden egg to bring in quality players.

I see where you are coming from, dont you think we would end up with better players under Gerrard than we will under a Neill for instance ?

Its a catch 22, better players with a manager just starting out

or

half decent manager with probably more championship players

I would rather take a punt on the former but i can see both sides, i understand its a monumental risk

Honestly? Not sure. I think the days of players wanting to play under a big name player as manager have passed in today's hyper-professional football culture. Even the youngest of players have serious representation and will be looking at salary package, bonuses, opportunities for career development etc. over the manager's name.

You then have the director of football complication, I'm supportive of that role overall, but I don't think it would fit well with the 'let's bring in the biggest names who are attracted to the Gerrard-factor' concept. SG is unlikely to bring in such shite as Pena and Herrera, but he's an inexperienced manager who could easily assume Scottish football is a skoosh and bring in a few old boys from his playing days in big salaries, a director of football is meant to prevent that.

Or Liverpool's #2 comin

We need a leader of men in the dugout. A winner, A footballing brain. Stevie G is all that.

Not going to disagree, BUT, who says he is a leader of men in the dugout, he has always had a manager giving him directions, he may be a Great player with a footballing brain but it takes a different kind of man to get the players playing for you. This forum is all about opinions and mine is Stevie G was a great player and will be highly regarded as such, BUT experience is what is needed.
WATP

Not going to disagree, BUT, who says he is a leader of men in the dugout, he has always had a manager giving him directions, he may be a Great player with a footballing brain but it takes a different kind of man to get the players playing for you. This forum is all about opinions and mine is Stevie G was a great player and will be highly regarded as such, BUT experience is what is needed.
WATP
He might not have the experience of bein in the dugout of a huge club like ours. But he will bring a degree of experience he has played under some top managers no doubt he knows how to play the game and that combined I'm sure he will have the nous to challenge.

Murphy definately knows more than hes letting on, i think he was wanting to say more but obviously couldn't

As much as I am excited by the SG Express I seriously can’ t believe the board are gambling yet again with yet another unknown quantity.

After the Pedro ‘debacle’ and the time it has taken to appoint anyone … you would think they would be playing safe and bringing in someone with vast experience and who can lay down some foundations for the future… but no not this board.

They are litterally gambling with our future.

Again.

After what happened with Pedro to many this SG appointment from the outside must look utter madness and incredible risky.

If it works it we will be hailed as a huge success and they will be lauded quite rightly…… ……but on the other hand … if it doesn’t work ……the consequences are too dire to even contemplate and would surely make their positions completely untenable going forward.

Talk about high risk!

Let’s hope for their sake and ours… they know what they are doing this time and the cards for once are more stacked in our favour.

Whatever we do is a gamble. And you won't get a concensus on here, Gerald is certainly a gamble but he is a born winner and has a powerful character.. You can't imagine King trying to bully him..Also he won't come without having a budget that can go after the tims..

I wonder how the "experienced" managers out there feel if Rangers first choice was an under 18 coach and are then approached as 2nd choice candidates

I wonder how the "experienced" managers out there feel if Rangers first choice was an under 18 coach and are then approached as 2nd choice candidates

If the stories about Clarke being approached through a 3rd party are true……only three weeks ago then this something new?

Back