Tam Forsyth has passed away

Tam came up to our dinner last year. I knew he was getting chemo at the time but he didn't want it known to the troops
I spoke with him before he came up and he said he wanted to come as Rangers were his life and the support meant so much to him.
He epitomised Rangers and oozed class that night. I spoke a few times afterwards and he told me he loved it.
Tam -you were simply the best, rest easy my friend
It was a shock for most people that didn't know ,myself included I was at the screamer goal game I will never forget big Tam, he somehow never seems to say to me he was 71 years old he looked younger, sincere condolences to his family, but the legend of big Tam aka Jaws lives on.RIP big Tam.

Terribly sad news to wake up to.

RIP Tam, had the pleasure of meeting you a few times, a giant of a man and a real Rangers legend.

Sad,sad news

Our supporters club is named after him ,Kilbirnie Tom Forsyth RSC , and our club flag is currently in the Copland Rd end.

Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times.

A big Gentleman

Sad news RIP Tam.

One of my first ever games was his testimonial against Swansea which we won 6-3. Think he might have been manager of Dunfermline at the time.

One of my heroes when I was younger and still a hero after all this time. Scored the winner in my first ever game v them.

Was fortunate enough to meet him a few times and although we only spoke briefly he was the epitome of a thorough gentleman and a genuine Rangers legend.

Gone but never forgotten.

Great player hero of mine a real Gentleman met him a few time’s humble and everything a Rangers’s player should be a true legend of our club rest easy big man you’ll be sorely missed

Desperately sad news.
Another legend joining the Rangers team squad in heaven.
I only met Tam once, at a function in Ibrox, and he was thoroughly nice gentle guy.
So sorry for his family.

Sad loss indeed but leaves many memories and huge respect.
Very humble for a man who had provided so many great memories for hundreds of thousands of people.
Still remember my Dad's reaction as he put in that tackle v Channon and my Dad shouting at the TV about his opinion of Docherty who had used the 'Clydesdale/Thoroughbred' comparison. Priceless!
The two of them can play bowls again up above. (The other sports love in their lives.)

My childhood hero who I tried to emulate playing for my school team. From one gangly hard playing player to another. R.I.P. my hero.

Like many who were 13 when he scored the winner in 1973 he became a hero.
There was only one winner in a tackle with Tam.
And as mentioned already has there ever been a better tackle than Jaws on Channon?
RIP big man.

Last edited:
Was there when he made his Rangers debut v. Motherwell at Fir Park the team he had just left during the week to join Rangers. We won 2-0. Here's a question. Was Big Tam ever sent off ?
I can't think of any time he was. I remember him being booked a couple of times but never sent off. Rip Tam Forsyth.

Was there when he made his Rangers debut v. Motherwell at Fir Park the team he had just left during the week to join Rangers. We won 2-0. Here's a question. Was Big Tam ever sent off ?
I can't think of any time he was. I remember him being booked a couple of times but never sent off. Rip Tam Forsyth.
I worked with Jackie Campbell of Partick Thistle fame and he said Tam was the hardest but fairest players he played against - I can't remember a red card for him

Sad news.
I started getting into football in the mid 70s so was brought up with the treble winning teams and the Scotland 78 team which Tam was a major part of.
Thoughts are with his family

I was 7 when he scored that famous cup final winner. He was an instant hero and remained so for ever.
I’ve mentioned before I’m lucky to be able to enjoy our games from a box in the club deck. Tam always watched games with the guys in the box next to us. Always in the same seat across the stair from me. Can’t believe he won’t be there when we finally get back. RIP Tam.
A proper bear. A proper Legend.

So sorry to hear this news. I never seen anyone tackle the way big Tam did- he was absolutely fearless and seemed to be made of iron.
I don't suppose I'll ever again experience the physical elation released at the massed Rangers end that day in May '73 when Tam scored his winning goal. I'll treasure that all my days. Thanks Tam.
Condolences to his family & friends.

Absolutely heartbroken when I saw this.

A Rangers legend who I had the great pleasure of meeting a few years ago.

He still attended Ibrox and parked his car behind the Sandy Jardine stand.

Rest easy Big Man.

Paul sturrock said playing against tam was like playing against a combine harvester because of how tough his tackles were and how solid he was.

I'm 30 so never had the pleasure of seeing Jaws play but my Papa would tell me all about the man.

RIP Tam.. Legend.

So sad. I am privileged to be of an age that I have great memories of Tom "Jaws" Forsyth. Sincere condolences to Toms family and friends.

Stand easy Tom. xx

I watched the rerun of the Scotland Holland Argentina 1978 game recently and he was magnificent. He joked about the headed chance he had but I didn’t realise how good a footballer he was. Sad day today.

Last edited:
Loved watching Tam " the hatchet" playing in defence. Solid defender, I'm sure he'd be a shoo in for a place in our current squad.
RIP Tam. My thoughts and condolences are with your family.
"Once a bear.......

Shared the bowling green with tam a few times. Always enjoyed listening to a few stories. Absolute gent of a man.

Latest posts

Back