Tam Forsyth has passed away

A very hard man on the park and a very gentle man off it.
I first met him years ago when I asked him to do a Q and A, I expected a rough and ready character but he was the exact opposite, but not to be taken for a fool.
He actually asked me if anyone would be offended if he swore.
Came into The Louden next day and gave me his SCF jersey from 1978 which still hangs on our wall in the pub.

Colin Jackson told me a great story about him.

Colin Stein had gone to Coventry City and Quentin Young came to Rangers
We were on a pre-season trip and all the players were getting ready to have their meals, Cutty comes in walks by big Tam plate, reaches over and lifts a chip.
Big Tam is incensed by this stands up and tells Cutty what he thinks,
Colin then says that Cutty hearing Tam speak in a very quiet soft-spoken manner
says to Tam' Outside and we will sort his out '( Cutty was quite a tough Character )
Anyway, Tam goes out hits Cutty once and knocks him unconscious. some of the other lads help Cutty up and as he is going past big Tam he says 'Thank Fu*k I didn't eat your steak'. Everybody falls about laughing and Cutty is accepted by the rest of the squad including the very quiet and soft-spoken gentle man that was Tom Forsyth.
He hated the nickname Jaws
He was a proper Gentleman, a decent human being, a genuine Rangers Legend and will be sorely missed
God Bless you big man

When Scotland beat England 2-1 in 1976, Tam saved a certain goal with an amazing tackle on Mick Channon.
The next week the Bears had a new chant."Tam Forsyth, he's called Jaws, he's got Channon by the baws"
That and his goal in the 1973 cup final are my favourite memories.
Rest in Peace, Big Man.

Homework done. Post edited. I didn’t realise he only signed in Oct 72.

In my defence I was only born in May 73, a couple of weeks after his winner in the SC Final.

In my mind the defence for the whole of the seventies was McCloy, Jardine, Greig, Forsyth Jackson with Dawson replacing Greig.
You have to add in Alex Miller (not a favourite of The Deedle but liked by we fans) and Willie Mathieson (who played in Barca and in the 1973 cup final)

I’ll never forget the 1st Rangers team when I started to follow as a wean. Tam was such a huge character in that team. Him and a handful of others were Rangers, the only Rangers I had ever known. Gone but will never be forgotten. RIP big Tam

After a long day at work, I went onto the club site to hear Stevie G’s interview and I am stunned to read this news. Big Tam, what memories. A true Rangers Legend, an early hero, and a bluenose through and through. My prayers are with his family, my heart is heavy but my memories are a flood of joy...that cup final rocket, the Channon tackle, him & Tam McLean connected at the hip like the Two Ronnies, and bizarrely a memory of him bundling the ball over the line with his stomach against Dundee (or hearts) at Ibrox from even closer than 73 :)

Hard to believe that Sandy, Bomber and now Jaws are all gone from the back line of the mid 70’s. A generation of true legends are gradually falling :( If ever we needed new hero’s to step up it is now. Are you listening in our current dressing room? This is your moment!

An absolute giant of a Ranger.

He got a red v St Mirren in the 3-3 in 77. He told me he was innocent of punching McGarvey and Jock had him up against a wall by the throat. To be fair Jock was under pressure at the time.

As I said an absolute giant of a Ranger.

I'm half cut and the tears are blinding me.

Ps

I reckon he rattled McGarvey a full yin:)
Midweek game at Tannadice. I'm right at the front about 3 feet from the pitch in the big terracing that was opposite the main stand. Paul Sturrock turns his head and says something to Tam who was right behind him. Didn't hear what Sturrock said but Tam's reply was "don't gee's any yir patter ya wee bastard"
10 minutes later Sturrock is carried off on a stretcher after being rattled by big Tam.
A good man to have beside you in a tight corner.

Shocked, totally shocked by this, RIP Tom Forsyth, part of the team I grew up with and forever entrenched in the history of The Rangers. Sadly missed .

Never had the pleasure of meeting the great man. Reading posts on here and media reports it is clear that sadly a gem of a man has passed away. RIP Tom Forsyth. My thoughts are with all who had the pleasure of being part of your life.

Docherty calling him a Clydesdale compared to the “thoroughbred” Martin Buchan said everything about Docherty.
I remember his tackle on Mick Channon that day in 1976, when the Scotland support was basically the Rangers support.
Tam was a great player and a special man.
May he Rest In Peace.

Sorry to hear the passing of big Tam, just like must iconic Rangers goals it is the reaction of the goal scorer which sticks more with me. The smile on his face netting the winner in the cup final is up there with Laudrup's reaction after scoring that goal to clinch 9iar.

Back