Tam Forsyth

Bishybear30

Big shout out to Tam taking time to get a picture with my boy and chatting to him on the way into the ground on Wednesday.

Way before my time but I still love meeting guys like him and Willie Henderson and they never disappoint... always sheer class.

My wee boys telling everyone that asks about Braga that he met a Ranger legend:D

I must be getting old but i remember the day he signed for us from Motherwell,he went on a tremendous run of playing for Rangers that season in 26 consecutive games without being on the losing side.

And who will ever forget his six yard volley against the filth ?

Like all the players of his time he wasn't a football player, he was a Rangers player. The big man was a great defender and a great servant to Rangers. Tam and his team mates had real pride in wearing the royal blue and never forgot who paid their wages. He was a truly solid defender. The impression of many is that he was just a hard defender but that really wasn't the case. He was a really good tactically, and positioned himself well in order to break up play. He could also time his tackle to perfection. (Google his last ditch tackle from behind to rob Mike Channon in an International game against England) Like most others who watched him play, his goal in the 73 Cup final is an abiding memory. Not just because of the comedic way the ball ended up over the line, but also because it was a truly important goal for the club. The poets were on a treble in our centenary year and to end that season trophyless was unthinkable. The fact Big tam was on the spot to skuff that ball in the net actually says a lot about how good he was at reading the game.

I'm glad you got to meet him OP and it's no surprise to me that you found him to be a real gent

Last edited:
I met Tam once, and he was truly a gentleman and a 'regular' guy to all of us fortunate to have spoken with him. A fine representative of his era, or any other.

Tam Forsyth & Derek Parlane were my 2 favourite Rangers players when I was growing up.
Loved watching them both equally. Tam would have ran through a brick wall for Rangers & could count on one hand any 50/50/s he lost during his career.
He was as solid as a rock & would have tackled Goliath & would have graced any of our best Rangers teams in my lifetime.

THE BEST TACKLER IN THE WORLD

This honour, in my humble opinion, should be awarded to that stalwart of the great Rangers sides of the seventies, Tom Forsyth.

Modest by nature, “Big Tam” signed for Rangers in October 1972 for the princely sum of £40,000 – and went on to become of Jock Wallace’s best-ever signings.

I know for a fact that the night before he signed for the club, he literally could not sleep, such was his excitement at the prospect of signing for the mighty Glasgow Rangers, the then current holders of the European Cup Winners’ Cup. However, that side was breaking up then, and Jock Wallace had decided that he wished to sign a different type of player as sweeper, from the accomplished Dave Smith, who had quite rightly earned the Player of the Year Award the previous season.

So, in keeping with the best Rangers tradition, he signed a player who played in a different position – and Tom Forsyth came to us as an established midfielder.

Every Rangers fan remembers him scoring the winner in the Cup Final in his first season, from about a foot out, but it was the timing of his tackles that I have not seen equalled to this day. So many defenders now only put in half-hearted tackles, and if that doesn’t win the ball, they simply foul their opponent! Not so with big Tam!

The number of times I saw him win balls he simply had no right to win – far less than 50/50 ones – was unbelievable. Celtic’s hero at that time was Kenny Dalglish, but I can’t remember him ever getting the better of Tom Forsyth. Indeed, I personally believe that was one of the reasons he pissed off to England.

He never let Scotland down either, and although there was a big Press campaign for the two central defender roles to go to McQueen and Buchan, the statistics clearly show that Scotland lost the fewest goals when Forsyth played. At the time, Tommy Docherty was orchestrating a campaign to have Martin Buchan in the Scotland team, rather than Tom Forsyth, and publicly compared him to a carthorse. Well, the odious fat turd put both feet in it that time – just a few days before Scotland took on England at Hampden in 1976.

England scored first, but Scotland, with Forsyth and Jackson at the heart of the defence, stormed back to lead 2-1, and in the last minute, England striker Mike Channon bursts through for the equaliser. Just as the English commentators (can’t remember any English fans coming to Hampden in those days) were getting ready to shout “Goal!” Forsyth makes an exquisite tackle just on the edge of the box – a fraction of a second earlier, and he wouldn’t have got the ball, a fraction of a second later, and it would have been a penalty for sure.

For once, the tv pundits had to nationally dissect and then praise the skill of a Rangers player, and seemed quite surprised by the courage and precision of the tackle. I was there that day, and I can honestly say it was no surprise to me – I had seen him do it so many times before. The man was simply a master of his trade.

The king of radio commentators, David Francey, had Docherty in his commentary box that day as a summariser. After the tackle, I know for a fact that David put his hand over the mike, and said to Docherty, “Not bad for a carthorse, eh?”

Watching him play for Rangers, was an inspiration for me. He was totally committed, and never let us down off the park, either. I also believe he was an inspiration to his team-mates, both with his timing, and never-say-die attitude.

The nearest I have seen to him in a Rangers jersey since was John Brown, and the fact that John Brown never quite reached the heights of Tom Forsyth is certainly no criticism. Tom now enjoys the quiet life, playing bowls, and representing (I believe) Stonehouse Bowling Club in many matches, but his heart will always be at Ibrox.

How we could use a modern-day Tom Forsyth now . . .

THE BEARSDEN BEAR

Great defender for us.
And scored a "cracker" in the 73 Scottish Cup Final against the Filth.
Legend

My first favourite Ranger. Fearless and with the heart of a lion, big Tam was the epitome of a Rangers player. Was truly saddened when injury ended his career.

Had him up here in May
Given what the big man had went through the word legend is aptly applied to him in every sense
Legend with the heart of a lion

glad you and your laddie got to meet him OP

Big shout out to Tam taking time to get a picture with my boy and chatting to him on the way into the ground on Wednesday.

Way before my time but I still love meeting guys like him and Willie Henderson and they never disappoint... always sheer class.

My wee boys telling everyone that asks about Braga that he met a Ranger legend:D

Way before my time too mate, but you're right, he's an absolute legend.

I must've watched that winning goal in the Centenary SC Final against the mentally challengeds 100 times, even though it was 19 years before I was born.

Something magical about meeting a Tam Forsyth, Willie Henderson, Davy Wilson, Colin Stein, Bud Johnston, Derek Parlane, Derek Johnstone and all the rest.

True Rangers legends that still burst with pride talking about representing our great club.

A real special moment for your wee fella that he'll remember for ever.

G

This honour, in my humble opinion, should be awarded to that stalwart of the great Rangers sides of the seventies, Tom Forsyth.

Modest by nature, “Big Tam” signed for Rangers in October 1972 for the princely sum of £40,000 – and went on to become of Jock Wallace’s best-ever signings.

I know for a fact that the night before he signed for the club, he literally could not sleep, such was his excitement at the prospect of signing for the mighty Glasgow Rangers, the then current holders of the European Cup Winners’ Cup. However, that side was breaking up then, and Jock Wallace had decided that he wished to sign a different type of player as sweeper, from the accomplished Dave Smith, who had quite rightly earned the Player of the Year Award the previous season.

So, in keeping with the best Rangers tradition, he signed a player who played in a different position – and Tom Forsyth came to us as an established midfielder.

Every Rangers fan remembers him scoring the winner in the Cup Final in his first season, from about a foot out, but it was the timing of his tackles that I have not seen equalled to this day. So many defenders now only put in half-hearted tackles, and if that doesn’t win the ball, they simply foul their opponent! Not so with big Tam!

The number of times I saw him win balls he simply had no right to win – far less than 50/50 ones – was unbelievable. Celtic’s hero at that time was Kenny Dalglish, but I can’t remember him ever getting the better of Tom Forsyth. Indeed, I personally believe that was one of the reasons he pissed off to England.

He never let Scotland down either, and although there was a big Press campaign for the two central defender roles to go to McQueen and Buchan, the statistics clearly show that Scotland lost the fewest goals when Forsyth played. At the time, Tommy Docherty was orchestrating a campaign to have Martin Buchan in the Scotland team, rather than Tom Forsyth, and publicly compared him to a carthorse. Well, the odious fat turd put both feet in it that time – just a few days before Scotland took on England at Hampden in 1976.

England scored first, but Scotland, with Forsyth and Jackson at the heart of the defence, stormed back to lead 2-1, and in the last minute, England striker Mike Channon bursts through for the equaliser. Just as the English commentators (can’t remember any English fans coming to Hampden in those days) were getting ready to shout “Goal!” Forsyth makes an exquisite tackle just on the edge of the box – a fraction of a second earlier, and he wouldn’t have got the ball, a fraction of a second later, and it would have been a penalty for sure.

For once, the tv pundits had to nationally dissect and then praise the skill of a Rangers player, and seemed quite surprised by the courage and precision of the tackle. I was there that day, and I can honestly say it was no surprise to me – I had seen him do it so many times before. The man was simply a master of his trade.

The king of radio commentators, David Francey, had Docherty in his commentary box that day as a summariser. After the tackle, I know for a fact that David put his hand over the mike, and said to Docherty, “Not bad for a carthorse, eh?”

Watching him play for Rangers, was an inspiration for me. He was totally committed, and never let us down off the park, either. I also believe he was an inspiration to his team-mates, both with his timing, and never-say-die attitude.

The nearest I have seen to him in a Rangers jersey since was John Brown, and the fact that John Brown never quite reached the heights of Tom Forsyth is certainly no criticism. Tom now enjoys the quiet life, playing bowls, and representing (I believe) Stonehouse Bowling Club in many matches, but his heart will always be at Ibrox.

THE BEARSDEN BEAR
Great Tribute.Had Mighty Tam stencilled on my schoolbag.Good comparison with John Brown both gave their all for the jersey.

THE BEARSDEN BEAR
That is a very good read, thank you

And he is a good booler as well, so I"m told.
My husband has played against him on many occasions then after the match I can’t get him to leave because him and Tam sit chatting about the Famous over a wee pint or two..... A total gent of a man!

Met Tam before and is one of my heroes.

Our supporters club is called Kilbirnie Tom Forsyth RSC

Had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times.

An absolute Gentleman

Often see him walking behind the Copland on match day in club tie, obviously doing hospitality. One of the true legends of my youth.

@Boldvale got his picture with him along with his brother in Braga.
Big Tam looked happy and relaxed to be chatting away to fans going by that picture.
A very decent big fella.

I must be getting old but i remember the day he signed for us from Motherwell,he went on a tremendous run of playing for Rangers that season in 26 consecutive games without being on the losing side.

6 yards?

It was about 5 yards, 2 feet and 6 inches closer than that :))

My all time rangers hero and an absolute gent and nice guy met him in portobello Edinburgh about 10 years ago he was doing some work on the old pottery kilns I was dumbstruck when I seen him he must have noticed me staring at him so gives me a nod and comes over and starts chatting away, A real old time hero

Mind big Tam as a hard man, bled royal blue and supreme tackler. Tynecastle one time,1978 I think, 50-50 with hearts defender Malkie Robertson (?), out at the touch line. Both went steaming in, Malkie ended up draped over the advertising hoarding. Perfect tackle. To be fair, the Hearts boy got up (eventually) and got on with it.

Other memory is of Tam as wee Tam McLeans minder. Somebody would give wee Tam a sore one, big Tam would give him the eyes, and mark him out for a bit of retribution later on. Not immediately, so the guy would sweat a bit.

THE BEARSDEN BEAR

Excellent post , really enjoyed reading that .

Had the absolute pleasure of watching him play for Rangers many times,met him eventually when I carried out some work in his house,a total gentleman and a hero

Six inches, more like lol.

THE BEARSDEN BEAR
Thanks for that. Good read.

THE BEARSDEN BEAR
I have a high regard and affection for that whole team,how I wish sometimes we could have the spine of that team now,though I thought our keepers were dodgy.

Often see him walking behind the Copland on match day in club tie, obviously doing hospitality. One of the true legends of my youth.

I see him and Ally Dawson walking back behind the Sandy Jardine stand to their cars after every home game

Met Tam when he was signing his book in WH Smith's. A great Ranger.

A thoroughbred not a cart horse!

met him myself and we had a wee chat on Wednesday. He struggled with those feckon steps up to the stadium like myself lol

Great defender for us.
And scored a "cracker" in the 73 Scottish Cup Final against the Filth.
Legend
I remember Big Jock being interviewed after the game and he was asked about what was the best goal, he said Tam's. And he was right.

Like all the players of his time he wasn't a football player, he was a Rangers player. The big man was a great defender and a great servant to Rangers. Tam and his team mates had real pride in wearing the royal blue and never forgot who paid their wages. He was a truly solid defender. The impression of many is that he was just a hard defender but that really wasn't the case. He was a really good tactically, and positioned himself well in order to break up play. He could also time his tackle to perfection. (Google his last ditch tackle from behind to rob Mike Channon in an International game against England) Like most others who watched him play, his goal in the 73 Cup final is an abiding memory. Not just because of the comedic way the ball ended up over the line, but also because it was a truly important goal for the club. The poets were on a treble in our centenary year and to end that season trophyless was unthinkable. The fact Big tam was on the spot to skuff that ball in the net actually says a lot about how good he was at reading the game.

I'm glad you got to meet him OP and it's no surprise to me that you found him to be a real gent

Alright Mr Forsyth? :D

I remember that match as clear as day. I was convinced Channon was going to score until Tam timed that tackle to perfection.

The other highlight was Dalglish putting the ball through Ray Clemence's legs for Scotland's winner. Whit a laugh on the way back to my uncle's Vauxhall Viva we had!

I remember when we played Juventus in the 70s,he wasn’t long in sorting out the so called Juve hard man,I forget his name.

Back