Targeting Scottish Players

The problem with targeting Scottish players is that not many quality Scottish players are coming through the youth system.

There are lots of people who seem to be proud of there Scottish football is 'more physical' than other leagues, but really it is nothing to be proud of, this popular hammer thrower style football is a detriment to the development of quality youth players.

The Scottish hammer thrower style game means that less technical players who are more like bouncers than footballers are favored and smaller more technical players don't really develop as they get kicked off the pitch or have their career ended by injures sustained from the bouncer hammer thrower style players. It all comes down to referees allowing the physical style of play when really they should be punishing it.

You need to make a distinction between Scottish players and players signed from Scottish (SPFL) teams.

We have signed great Scottish players from England: McGregor, McLaughlin, Arfield, etc. All these signings have been successful.

We have signed players from Scottish teams: Lafferty, Hastie, Jones, Stewart, and Barker. All these signings have been failures.

I have no problem with signing more Scottish players, but I don’t see how signing players from Scottish teams help us. Kamara is one of the few obvious exceptions.
Arfield is Canadian in a footballing sense and Stewart and Barker were signed from English teams.

Was woeful on Monday night and got the hook early. Young and energetic but not great with the ball at his feet.

We already have Bassey so wouldn’t see the point bringing in a project left back.

Thought he played well on Monday night, he also went off injured at half time.

Never got hooked.

The thread was about Scottish based players not our foreign internationalists.
I personally don't give a toss about Scotland's national side and it wouldn't bother me if we had no-one representing Scotland.
The point seems extremely petty.
I don't care about the Finland national team, but if I have a Finnish player I want him to be an regular in their team.
If you don't want to target Scottish players, and you don't want players who play international football, we will be going backwards very quickly.

The thread was about Scottish based players not our foreign internationalists.
I personally don't give a toss about Scotland's national side and it wouldn't bother me if we had no-one representing Scotland.
But your point was that you were worried they would be Scotland regulars so surely that would apply to any internationalists.

There's a balancing act to be struck. Jack and Kamara are two of the first names on a lot of fans' team sheets. The same can't be said of Jones, Stewart, Hastie etc.

I don't have a problem with us taking low risk punts on guys like those named above and I think Scott Wright would fall into this category.
Think this post is spot on it's a balancing act and getting the right blend of players which I believe we have this season.

The problem with targeting Scottish players is that not many quality Scottish players are coming through the youth system.

There are lots of people who seem to be proud of there Scottish football is 'more physical' than other leagues, but really it is nothing to be proud of, this popular hammer thrower style football is a detriment to the development of quality youth players.

The Scottish hammer thrower style game means that less technical players who are more like bouncers than footballers are favored and smaller more technical players don't really develop as they get kicked off the pitch or have their career ended by injures sustained from the bouncer hammer thrower style players. It all comes down to referees allowing the physical style of play when really they should be punishing it.
There are quality players coming through in Scotland. Our academy is at the forefront of that, which is great. Players like Gilmour, Kennedy and King will be a great example of this.
There are still players like McGinn and Turnbull coming through other youth teams too. We need to do what we have always done, pick up the best talent from that group. In the past it worked well for us.
Obviously it is a big step for these guys, and not all will work out.
Clearly the current recruitment team agree with that, or they wouldn't be doing the business they are.

Was woeful on Monday night and got the hook early. Young and energetic but not great with the ball at his feet.

We already have Bassey so wouldn’t see the point bringing in a project left back.
He was injured mate, he has potential but as you say we have Bassey for that role.

We need to target the right players for us, Scottish or not, and we won't exclude any source, Scottish or not.

I also wouldn't be writing McGregor off any time soon.

With hindsight, unstaunch as it is to say, we should have gone in for McGinn and Turnbull imo (if they would have been willing). In my mind we should always be trying to sign the best Scottish players due to Europe requirements and having people who know the league cant hurt.

For those mentioning the Euro squad. We currently have 1 position open in the nation trained category as Jack, Arfield and Stewart take up 3/4. Stewart won’t be here soon so I guess you could say 2. Wright, if signed, could go straight in this year. Anyone else who qualifies will either need to replace Stewart or replace someone else on the main squad of 17.

It’s not the nation grown category we struggle with though, it’s the club grown one. We only have McGregor in there and I can’t see us adding any more to that for a couple of years still.
There’s 8 homegrown spaces is there not, 4 club spaces

I think we need to be looking internally there is little quality in the league compared to years gone by. Nisbet is the only one I'd take right now. Patterson Kelly Mayo and Kennedy hopefully will all kick on and be a part of things in the coming years

Thought he played well on Monday night, he also went off injured at half time.

Never got hooked.

Fair enough. He seems to have split opinion in terms of performance. I though he did well enough without the ball but his touch and passing were poor. Gave the ball away far too often against a makeshift team.

You reckon?
I’m struggling after about half a dozen.
I use the national squad as a yardstick and seldom, if ever, other than the years we had in the lower divisions, do I think we’d lose to them.
So, other than a couple of players from the EPL that we couldn’t really afford, would I want Scottish internationals.
Armstrong, McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, Fleck and Fraser all started in Scotland, so there is no argument to say we don’t produce good players. Clearly we wouldn’t be interested in some of those on the list.

This was true a decade ago but certainly isn’t now.

We have to target Scottish players to keep our home grown levels up for the European squads otherwise the euro squads are a wee bit thin on the ground.

Armstrong, McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, Fleck and Fraser all started in Scotland, so there is no argument to say we don’t produce good players. Clearly we wouldn’t be interested in some of those on the list.
All bar Fleck came to the fore when we were in the lower divisions and/or couldn’t afford them.

We need to bring players through from the academy to first team but in short term, we may need to sign Scottish players until we get there. Putting academy players out on loan for development will help this happen sooner.
Hopefully we get the league reconstruction we want and get colt teams included. Would give them a great start, before a loan.

If a player is deemed suitable then I dont think it matters where they are playing or their nationality, we'll move for them if possible. The scottish top flight generally charges well over the odds for a big standard or sub par product.

I’m not saying we should have signed them, I’m saying those dismissive of Scottish players are wrong.
I agree.
I’m not dismissing Scottish players in any way.
I just don’t believe we need to prioritise home grown players for any reason other than the European squad rules.
If a potential signing is Scottish and is the same value for money as a “foreign” player or non-Scot, I’ll never have a problem.
A Rangers fan, or non-Celtic fan rather, would be much more palatable.
Yes, I’m aware of Neil McCann’s background and contribution but I’m also a big bit scarred by O’Halloran.

I would consider Ryan Gauld. He looks to have really improved his game in the last year or so. I think he would probably want to stay in Portugal but I think it would be worth asking the question.

I would consider Ryan Gauld. He looks to have really improved his game in the last year or so. I think he would probably want to stay in Portugal but I think it would be worth asking the question.
Gauld is absolutely flying. He was the best player in the second tier and has been a stand out in the top tier. He has just turned 25 and looks to finally be realising his early potential. There is talk of a Scotland call up, given he's a cm, that's actually quite impressive.

Gauld's contract expires at the end of the season, so he is available for nothing. He is one of the few Scottish cm's that fit our midfield style of quick half turns and intricate passing. Also while he's just turned 25, he's still early in his development. He had some injuries and was a b team player until 23, so there is a lot of growth in there.

Compared to when we where first linked, I'd be very happy and excited with his signing. More so than someone like Allan Campbell.

We need to increase our squad quota of Scottish players for EUFA games.
This ^^ - I don't care about the nationality of those who play for us if they're good enough (and we have been blessed to watch a lot of nationalities grace the turf at Ibrox over the years but we need more Scottish players for European games

Gauld is absolutely flying. He was the best player in the second tier and has been a stand out in the top tier. He has just turned 25 and looks to finally be realising his early potential. There is talk of a Scotland call up, given he's a cm, that's actually quite impressive.

Gauld's contract expires at the end of the season, so he is available for nothing. He is one of the few Scottish cm's that fit our midfield style of quick half turns and intricate passing. Also while he's just turned 25, he's still early in his development. He had some injuries and was a b team player until 23, so there is a lot of growth in there.

Compared to when we where first linked, I'd be very happy and excited with his signing. More so than someone like Allan Campbell.
Gauls is a great shout.
Was poo-poo’d when discussed about a year ago but seems to have found his feet again.
I was told recently that there were big clubs looking at again but, probably because I seldom listen to transfer gossip, I can’t remember who.
Couldn’t have been true anyway because that was about a month ago and I’ve neither read nor heard anything since.

Gauls is a great shout.
Was poo-poo’d when discussed about a year ago but seems to have found his feet again.
I was told recently that there were big clubs looking at again but, probably because I seldom listen to transfer gossip, I can’t remember who.
Couldn’t have been true anyway because that was about a month ago and I’ve neither read nor heard anything since.
He's completely turned it around and is turning into a very good player. Due to him being in Portugal, you don't here much about his transfer or links, but it wouldn't surprise me if the higher end Portuguese and lower end Spanish clubs were looking at him

He's completely turned it around and is turning into a very good player. Due to him being in Portugal, you don't here much about his transfer or links, but it wouldn't surprise me if the higher end Portuguese and lower end Spanish clubs were looking at him
I’ve always kept an interest in him. I think he’d be great - especially against park the bus opposition.

Rather than targeting established players with potentially high transfer fees
we should concentrate on producing our own talent at the training centre
Our strategy is not built on just one method.

Watch the Ross Wilson interview from end of last year. He explains in detail our strategy about promoting our own best talent like (Patterson) when they are ready, but explains that we also look external if we don’t have anybody from Academy ready to fill a position (Bassey)

Couldn't care less if they're from Area 51 and had 3 cocks, if they're good enough to play for the teddy bears in stevies eyes then it's a yes from me!

Back