Tav’s Inability to Keep the Ball Down

Uddy Gers

I don’t know if anyone has noticed this but Tav has this thing where he constantly skies his shots over the bar in attacking positions.

It’s so frustrating. Every time without fail, it is honestly school boy stuff.

Get over the ball and shoot through it. He did it yesterday again, but it happens regularly at Ibrox. You’d think a player the calibre of Gerrard would pull him aside and practice on his technique.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed this but Tav has this thing where he constantly skies his shots over the bar in attacking positions.

Get over the ball and shoot through it. He did it yesterday again, but it happens regularly at Ibrox. You’d think a player the calibre of Gerrard would pull him aside and practice on his technique.

Yep noticed this a long time ago. It almost seems to happen at least once per game at Ibrox - he manages to get clear through in a very advanced right back area and always skies the shot over the bar.

Could probably find at least 20-30 examples of this happening if I had the time to trawl through and watch back all of our games over the past few seasons.

Skies 9 out of 10. Should be Low across the keeper every time. The chipped 10 yard passes up the wing to the other teams defenders and being shoulder charged off the ball need worked on as well.

Still glad he’s back though as he can drive forward given the chance.

He’s not the only one

I’ve never seen a host of players from the same team who trundle the ball into the keeper or blooter it over the bar

since the Albertz, Gio and Reyna days we’ve been utterly atrocious at shooting from outside the box

Needs to take shooting lessons off his manager. All too common now players technique when shooting outside the box is woeful, almost schoolboy football like.

He’s not the only one

I’ve never seen a host of players from the same team who trundle the ball into the keeper or blooter it over the bar

since the Albertz, Gio and Reyna days we’ve been utterly atrocious at shooting from outside the box

Jack had a purple patch as is arfield right now but over a season it is very noticeable.

just get it on target and options open up. Blasting 5 feet wide or high is pathetic when it happens time and time again.

Jack had a purple patch as is arfield right now but over a season it is very noticeable.

just get it on target and options open up. Blasting 5 feet wide or high is pathetic when it happens time and time again.
You can see them leaning back as they are about to strike the ball. Very frustrating

With the 3 I mentioned you were always very confident in them scoring from outside the box or at least make the keeper work

when the likes of jack and arfield have it outside the box it really could end up anywhere

And both are regular fixtures in our midfield 3. Davis is a 5-6 goal a season player too (at best) - this is precisely why we'll always struggle over a sustained period of games - a midfield who score 10 to 20 goals between them over a season will never compete for titles. Couple that with two of our front three also being goal shy (notwithstanding Hagi's recent form, which looks like it could help us in this area) and you have a 12 point deficit in February. That's before we even factor in a dip in form from our only real goal threat.

Look at the poets midfield to front - Edouard, Griffiths, Forrest, Christie and McGregor all regularly on the scoresheet. It really is no wonder we're so far behind already.

Last edited:
I dont know whats happened to his crossi g, but it seems he crosses now with his eyes closed.. just whips it in hoping theres someone there

Same as Goldson/Katic etc not heading the ball down at corners most of the time. Its almost like they don't want to hit the target or are always going for the spectacular bullet header into the top corners and skying it. Can't understand it.

As others have said he's not the only one in our team. I just don't get how a pros can be so bad. I'd expect better from a pub team.

Tav had a chance on goal yesterday that he utterly skied for no reason , had decent space in the box etc.

Not been the same since he returned...but then who has.

Two regular fixtures in our midfield 3, and Davis is a 5-6 goal a season player too (at best) - that's precisely why we'll always struggle over a sustained period of games - a midfield who score 10 to 20 goals between them over a season will never compete for titles. Couple that with two of your front three also being goal shy (notwithstanding Hagi's recent form, which looks like it could help us in this area) and you have a 12 point deficit in February. That's before we even factor in a dip in form from our only real goal threat.

Look at the poets midfield to front - Edouard, Griffiths, Forrest, Christie and McGregor all regularly on the scoresheet. It really is no wonder we're so far behind already.
Summed it up perfectly

It seems to be our whole team. We need 10 shots to score a goal. Plus teams against us seem to be score 1 goal every 2 shots. Wish I knew what we are doing wrong. Again yesterday plenty chances to close the game out and never took them.

Exact same chance yesterday that o Donnel had against us. Keep it down and on target and anything can happen.

Technically he is poor imo.

He has regressed hugely this season in his crossing and shooting skills.

We are badly needing a right back in the squad that can actually challange him for his position.

Oh aye, and a proper captain.
I am a fan of Tavernier but there is no doubt his crossing has been poor for some time now.

More often than not he hits the first defender or it is way over hit, needs to work on it.

I've been moaning about this for ages. Ffs it's simple stuff, how has this not been recognised and worked on? Get yer nut over the ball Tav!

He gets a shit load of chances that break back to him, game winning chances.

Quite agree.

Gets into brilliant positions, but might be helpful to study Gary Stevens videos. He should be scoring from these positions.

His delivery from set pieces is atrocious.

You can always pin point the defender who will head or sometimes kick it away.

1 in 10 finds his man.

There’s a reason he plays right back ffs. Why are we moaning about our right backs finishing? Why don’t we concentrate on the finishing of our forward players instead?

Said it during the game - where has the 15-20 goal a season guy gone? I get the standard of opposition has gone up since those days but that doesn’t explain his complete lack of goal threat these days.

Tav by his standards has had a poor season. His shooting at goal is diabolical. Look at that lanky cant Ajer who scored at the sheep. Tav would’ve skied that shot

Right now he needs to concentrate on finding a team mate with a pass , never mind his shooting.
What happened to the free kick expert we once had ?

Tav can’t even get a cross over the first man it’s been the same since he came to the club he is good getting forward positions but can’t defend to save himself, and as a Captain im not even going their. I hope he is sold in the Summer.

You conveniently forgot to mention yet another assist with his cross for Kamberi's goal.

I think that's 14 for the season.

Selective memory sir.

Wish he would put a bit more sky in his crossing as well as others and get the ball over the first man at least

He’s not the only one

And when we create so few other chances, it is another example of wasteful play which comes back to haunt us time after bloody time

His one at Hamilton was a thing of beauty

Before my time, but I've seen footage of it and yep, terrific goal mate and I know he was an absolute top drawer right back.

However, you'll go a long way before you see a better strike from a full back than Tav's against Peterhead at Hampden.

It's not just Tav, our shooting as a team needs to be better. It was almost a shock to see Kamberi strike the ball so well for his goal (and he did the exact same thing for the one chalked off), as we've become used to piss weak shots from a lot of our players.

Tav in his 1st season and to a lesser extent on his 2nd season was 1 of the best finishers at the club, he scoring lots of cracking goals from these positions, he also regularly scored free kicks.
It just all seemed to stop.

That's right his stats used to be very good with goals from outfield, penalties and assists. I like him for his speed in getting the ball forward and his crosses which can be decent.

It's not just Tav, our shooting as a team needs to be better. It was almost a shock to see Kamberi strike the ball so well for his goal (and he did the exact same thing for the one chalked off), as we've become used to piss weak shots from a lot of our players.
Without a doubt , how often in recent years have we seen our opponents score long range efforts against us(many at Ibrox) yet our current batch of “professionals” seem scared to shoot and generally when they do its woeful.

Back