Tav’s Inability to Keep the Ball Down

Whenever it is really needed Tav time and time again doesnt produce in pressure moments.

When games aren't going our way rather than pick us up by the scruff of the neck, he produces a shanked cross or a miss hit shot.

Generally he has quality, but for me whenever it comes to the crunch when its needed that quality let's us down.

This is true. Whenever we sink, those cup semi finals last season for example, he’s usually every bit as bad as the rest. I never really feel him coming through with big game changing moments to get us out of a hole.

He’s not the only one

I’ve never seen a host of players from the same team who trundle the ball into the keeper or blooter it over the bar

since the Albertz, Gio and Reyna days we’ve been utterly atrocious at shooting from outside the box
Spot on. When we got free kicks around about the box back then, we expected to score. Not now.
And we don’t shoot, try and walk the ball in.
Would be interesting to the stats for goals outside the box this season. Not many I think.

But, but, but 14 assists, I mean 14 assists this season.

Out of 41 appearances that’s one assist every 3 games (roughly). Meaning he is unproductive in terms of assists in 2 out of every 3 games. Not to mention how many attempts at crosses, etc he has. I would reckon he finds his man with a very low percentage of his attempts. His set pieces are absolutely atrocious as well. Either our management need to help him improve these or he needs to be replaced on corners/FK’s, but I have the sense that we are not over-endowed with players who would be willing to put themselves forward for this.

One of our problems is that we have relied on a not-very-good defender to be one of our main attacking threats for far too long. It is a deficiency in our side which has still to be addressed. We should have players such as Kent and Aribo with 14 assists each by thus stage, allowing Tavernier to focus on his weaknesses (i.e. defending). Any assists he has should be a bonus on top of those provided by others in the team, not relying on them as a necessity.

He seems to be snatching this season, hopefully one will fly in then off he goes again. Some of the runs he makes to get into the position to shot are fantastic we have no other player who can do that, Borna stays outside the box , no other midfielder is making those runs.

But, but, but 14 assists, I mean 14 assists this season.

Out of 41 appearances that’s one assist every 3 games (roughly). Meaning he is unproductive in terms of assists in 2 out of every 3 games. Not to mention how many attempts at crosses, etc he has. I would reckon he finds his man with a very low percentage of his attempts. His set pieces are absolutely atrocious as well. Either our management need to help him improve these or he needs to be replaced on corners/FK’s, but I have the sense that we are not over-endowed with players who would be willing to put themselves forward for this.

One of our problems is that we have relied on a not-very-good defender to be one of our main attacking threats for far too long. It is a deficiency in our side which has still to be addressed. We should have players such as Kent and Aribo with 14 assists each by thus stage, allowing Tavernier to focus on his weaknesses (i.e. defending). Any assists he has should be a bonus on top of those provided by others in the team, not relying on them as a necessity.

Just for the sake of balance, all of Celtic's full backs combined, (Frimpong, El Ahmed, Bauer, Bolingoli, Hayes and Taylor) have 11 assists between them in 47 games this season.

Tav has 14 in 41 games and Borna has 14 in 34 games.

Surely, even to the blindest of the blind, it's clear that the creativity of our full backs is the least of our problems?

Although you never know on here, right enough.

There’s a reason he plays right back ffs. Why are we moaning about our right backs finishing? Why don’t we concentrate on the finishing of our forward players instead?
True; the form of the front players is the main issue right now, and they are not playing anything like they could be.

Lack of composure due to confidence. On the training park I’ll wager he’s banging them in.
It's not an ability thing it's exactly that. He's lashing at his shots as are a lot of our players as they don't have that self confidence when the pressure is on. Every now and then he hits a perfect cross, so he can do it.

This is true. Whenever we sink, those cup semi finals last season for example, he’s usually every bit as bad as the rest. I never really feel him coming through with big game changing moments to get us out of a hole.

His drive and willingness to take on folk and get into forward positions has got us out a hole loads of times. For some reason the whole team aren’t clicking right now. Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is but single most reason is probably form of Alfredo combined with individual defensive errors. Why that has happened suddenly and all at once we can only speculate.

Follow follow has gone full retard!

Some of the “stats” i have read on this thread

9/10 crossed are far too high
9/10 shots go over the bar

I would challenge any of you to find accuracy on that pitch yesterday, he also got the assist for the second!

14 assists this season and he missed a month - not bad for me!

Our problem is not our right back - but don’t let that stop another thread destroying another player

The problem is most people on here tend to form their opinions off anecdote or emotional reactions to games, which leads them to throwing about silly stats about guys like Tav when the reality is they're more often than not a million miles off when you look at the actual statistics.

Let's be clear here, most folk don't like Tav because he either doesn't shout enough at other players in his role as captain with a bloodstained bandana, or because he isn't putting in 9 or 10 out of 10 performances in EVERY week. He created a rod for his own back with a fantastic debut season and what most folk don't tend to realise is that it's entirely possible for footballers, as human beings, to have a slump in form from time to time (which in all honesty has been incredibly rare for Tav during his spell with us).

I personally get frustrated with many of his crosses and set-pieces which fail to beat the first man or are well over-hit, but I tend to restrain myself from abusing the guy because I know what he has in his locker, i.e. an assist for the 2nd goal in the St J game.

Technically he is poor imo.

He has regressed hugely this season in his crossing and shooting skills.

We are badly needing a right back in the squad that can actually challange him for his position.

Oh aye, and a proper captain.
His crossing is woeful! It either fails to get over the first man or gets booted high and out for a throw. IMO he worked well with Candeias and his game has suffered most with him moving on.

The problem is most people on here tend to form their opinions off anecdote or emotional reactions to games, which leads them to throwing about silly stats about guys like Tav when the reality is they're more often than not a million miles off when you look at the actual statistics.

Let's be clear here, most folk don't like Tav because he either doesn't shout enough at other players in his role as captain with a bloodstained bandana, or because he isn't putting in 9 or 10 out of 10 performances in EVERY week. He created a rod for his own back with a fantastic debut season and what most folk don't tend to realise is that it's entirely possible for footballers, as human beings, to have a slump in form from time to time (which in all honesty has been incredibly rare for Tav during his spell with us).

I personally get frustrated with many of his crosses and set-pieces which fail to beat the first man or are well over-hit, but I tend to restrain myself from abusing the guy because I know what he has in his locker, i.e. an assist for the 2nd goal in the St J game.
Para 1 - I know how folk think.
Para 2 - I know why folk "don't like Tav" more than they do.
Para 3 - Although he can be poor I ignore it, one decent ball a game is enough for me.

Tav, as you say, started very well but these days is a shadow of what he was then. He's been our 'leader' in the period where we've lost more games to poorer teams due to not competing and switching off.
It'd be unnatural for bears to look at the common factors in that period and not have doubts.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed this but Tav has this thing where he constantly skies his shots over the bar in attacking positions.

It’s so frustrating. Every time without fail, it is honestly school boy stuff.

Get over the ball and shoot through it. He did it yesterday again, but it happens regularly at Ibrox. You’d think a player the calibre of Gerrard would pull him aside and practice on his technique.
So many times ive said this when hes running in from the edge of the box with plenty of space amd he balloons it. He does it so often i actually expect him to blast it over when its easier to score

Tav is the best RB at the club by miles but he is a shadow of the player he was last season imo.

For all you could criticise his defending and you could because it was weak at times he made up for it by what he brought to the side in attack but not now his crosses have got worse and worse looks laboured going forward and it’s a huge miss.

I’d be looking to cash in on him in the summer.
You know you’ve just told us all why nobody would want him!
Who‘d want to splash out on such a player?

Before my time, but I've seen footage of it and yep, terrific goal mate and I know he was an absolute top drawer right back.

However, you'll go a long way before you see a better strike from a full back than Tav's against Peterhead at Hampden.
Agreed and that's the worrying thing for me MU, his once tremendous long range shooting and finishing ability appears to have deserted him.

The frustration for me is that he was scoring loads in first few seasons (albeit in the Championship) + he wasn't showing any signs of misfiring then.

Not sure how his technique has gone to shit

Wish he would put a bit more sky in his crossing as well as others and get the ball over the first man at least
Yes it would be a help if he is supposed to be an attacking full back then we are getting nothing from him, he has done nothing positive since Candeas left and without that help is a very ordinary player.

Back