Tav and Borna not bombing forward

With respect mate, I thought Tav got forward plenty in the first half in particular. Then once we had the goal we sat off a bit.

Also noticed we dropped into something close to a 442 at times without the ball. Gave us a little bit more protection wider in midfield than we sometimes got in the Gerrard set up, where the 3 had to shuffle side to side.

Borna bombed forward like a freight train at times, I think they sat deeper to begin with but the runs were there when needed

With respect mate, I thought Tav got forward plenty in the first half in particular. Then once we had the goal we sat off a bit.

Also noticed we dropped into something close to a 442 at times without the ball. Gave us a little bit more protection wider in midfield than we sometimes got in the Gerrard set up, where the 3 had to shuffle side to side.
I always thought Hagi was ahead of him and Tav never looked to overlap. Tav played the balls forward for Hagi to create the goal and the chance for Aribo. I do think there was a noticeable difference.

Thought they were both much better tonight, though wouldn’t have been hard given recent form, especially Borna.

BB doesn’t look fully fit to me, Helander coming back in and moving Bassey to left back could help Borna long term.

Intrigued to see Patterson and Tav together, if we can get that partnership to work, what a right hand side we’ll have.

It was more like they took it in turns - seemed to me Barasic stayed back when Tav went forward and vice versa. I liked it. Definitely more stable with that and Kamara sitting deeper.

I always thought Hagi was ahead of him and Tav never looked to overlap. Tav played the balls forward for Hagi to create the goal and the chance for Aribo. I do think there was a noticeable difference.
I guess we saw it differently. Wouldn’t argue that Hagi was mostly in front of him but there was plenty of times I recall having the ball at his feet high up the pitch and in their box a few times too, esp first half.

I guess we saw it differently. Wouldn’t argue that Hagi was mostly in front of him but there was plenty of times I recall having the ball at his feet high up the pitch and in their box a few times too, esp first half.
Aw sure there were times he was high, but I think there was a noticeable difference that we had width from other areas too. Tav playing clipped balls round to Hagi in wide areas was a definite tactic and we got the first goal from it. I don’t think he’s been stripped of his freedom, but I did think he was a bit more reserved overall.

Much better from Borna tonight. Not his best but looks fitter and won some big 50/50s. Tav looked fucked in the last 20. Job done. First clean sheet in how long?

We have a different manager, don't expect them too play the same roles. Don't mean that in a dickish way btw, just think we shouldn't expect what we have come to expect, hopefully works out for the better and I think it will

Interesting to see how little our Fbs went forward tonight, orders or just the way the game panned out?
Tactical.

Just listened to Gios interview there and he said he was pleased with them doing their defending and getting forward when appropriate

Definitely told not to.

Which makes sense. Tav for example can be great at going forward, but he's a RB so he should focus on that.

Yup, noticed that as well. Definetely been ordered. Preffered it tbh. Gave us extra protection while allowing Kamara and Davis a bit more freedom. Thought the front 4 were very interchangeable and fluid.

Last edited:
Gio actually spoke about it post match.

He'll use the full backs to bomb on when required, but only sees it as an option for these type of games.

I imagine during league games and more open opponents he wants to use traditional wingers, hence bringing Patterson in later on, Tav played higher up but Patterson stayed pretty locked.

He'll use the bombing full backs, but we're not going to see it as much as Gerrard's reign.

Their entire plan rested on our weakness from the last few months.

Ball in the space between a right footed LCB and the LB always looking to bomb on.

We confounded that through selection and tactics, so they did not know what to do. Their only chance came through desperation late on.

If this is the style Gio wants to use going forward, especially having wingers set up the ammo for the forwards, this may not suit Tavernier.
I can see Nathan slowly getting merged in.As to me he is more adaptable.

And on the left Borna, maybe happier not having to over lap and set up the attacks, all the time.
Like he had to do in Gerrard's era.

Maybe we will see more of the old Advocaat style.
two wingers. Interchangeable.
Hope so.
Sure was successful.

Tav carried out his role tonight very well. As previous poster said it looked like they were expecting Tav to be up in line with our attacking players for a large part of the game and they were hitting some tremendous cross field balls to our right back position. Pity for them that Tav curtailed his runs and nullified this threat. So well played Tav and the team and management for a damn good victory.

Gio gave us the opportunity to get our confidence back tonight , Gerrard had chucked it at some point, probably After being approached by villa in the summer.. don’t underestimate that result after the shambles on Sunday… tonight was a fantastic result

Definitely a tactical move.
Both of them were told to not bomb forward and stay more compact.

This seemed to cause them to be even too close to the CB's and so many times Sparta had a man on the touchline who was in acres of space when they switched the ball.
Both Tav and Borna struggled with that.

But it worked out ok and we got the result!

It’s also good to see us playing a different style. Hopefully Gio will mix it up and not play the same way every week and teams suss us out. Keep them guessing.

Much much better all round.
McGregor back to making crucial saves.
Bassey brought a natural left sided defender in to balance up the defence.He was superb.
Davis and Kamara ran their butt's off.
Our transitions up front were quicker and sharper.
Morelos was much more like the old hungry aggressive striker we fell in love with.
The Gio song just raised the roof and sparked a new optimistic tone.
The King is dead, long live the King.
Enjoyed last night, what a tonic.

Back