Tav and Goldson

Battle Fever's On

I never start threads and I've started two in a few minutes.
Anyway I think these two players are causing serious concerns on our right hand side.
I think one or both needs a spell out of the team, maybe bring Flanagan in for Tav and Edmundson or Helander in for Goldson.
Both players have played a lot of games so I'm not criticising them.

I thought Goldson had a good game today,possibly our best player on the day?
Tav had a shocker and maybe if Flanagan is fit he might well play on Thursday night when we will be under a lot of pressure?

Ikpeazu was allowed to foul unchecked for the entire game. However he’s a big awkward unit and I don’t think Katic did too bad.

When you consider the way Dykes fecked with Helander would you really have wanted him up against that big chunt today?

I thought Goldson Tavernier and katic were shocking from start to finish. Goldson needs to stop thinking he’s some sort of ball playing centre back.

Katic was piss poor today and if Goldson had played like that this place would be in flames.

Katic lost the initial ball before Tav's mistake and he lost the big striker when he hit the bar.

Tav is one issue I get that but let's be honest if 6 or 7 of our players played well today we would have won.

Sorry to point this out, 2 big games and Tav responsible for 3 goals.
Not Katic best game but he never cost the goal
Sorry to point out that Katic lost the header leading to the goal.
Tav fucked it big time but Katic isn’t as wonderful as some think,why did the big lump up front decide to go up against Katic?

Tav fucked it big time but Katic isn’t as wonderful as some think,why did the big lump up front decide to go up against Katic?

Yup to suggest Katic is a warrior and then moan the ref never protected him is laughable-a Gough or a Butcher would have sorted that out-Katic got rattled like most of the team early doors and never really recovered.

Considering Katic was getting rag dolled all feckin game, I thought him and Goldson did ok. Hertz were garbage today. Our real failings were middle to last. Arfield was poor. Davis was not his usual brilliant self, Kamara seemed at times to forget to pass the ball to a Rangers player, Ojo was rank. Alfie didn't get any service. BB was ok and Tav had another poor game. Aribo just looked lost at times. We should have started the team that pumped Hamilton imo.

Fair enough, we all know though that Katic is droppable and probably won’t play the next game, unfortunately Tav doesn’t have any real competition for his place and will play all the time.
He needs to know like every other player in the team that if you have a bad couple of games you’ll be dropped.

The only think Goldson done wrong was not booting tav’s head off his shoulders to clear that first ball after Tav shat it.
Only complaint I have on Goldson was him passing it straight to a Hearts player virtually from kick off

Handed Hearts initiative for first few minutes which then extended to first 10

I thought Goldson Tavernier and katic were shocking from start to finish. Goldson needs to stop thinking he’s some sort of ball playing centre back.

Goldson played 3 or 4 cracking long balls out left to barasic.

Barasic needs to drive on with the ball more often instead of checking back.

Tav caused the goal and needs a confidence boost from somewhere.

Ultimately football players make mistakes.

And at our level it’s more about cutting out the mistakes than being world beaters.

Anyway I think these two players are causing serious concerns on our right hand side.
I think one or both needs a spell out of the team, maybe bring Flanagan in for Tav and Edmundson or Helander in for Goldson.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for resting (dropping) Goldson.
I don’t think we fix Tavernier’s problem, or the teams either, by dropping him.

Being English I think Tav and Goldson are good pals with Gerrard hence they seem to be undropable. Tav should be dropped for Flanagan.

Only complaint I have on Goldson was him passing it straight to a Hearts player virtually from kick off

Handed Hearts initiative for first few minutes which then extended to first 10

I can’t disagree with that mate. Even though he found a couple of decent passes today, he’s generally very poor with his distribution.

Today though, Tav 100% cost us the goal (which significantly contributed to us dropping points)

Our lack of creativity up the other end of the pitch contributed also. (As harsh as it seems, Tav was also culpable as an attacking threat)

Hopefully Tav finds his form again soon. However there’s too many players getting game time based on prior performances rather than form.
If Arfield had only signed in the summer - we’d be wanting rid.
Ojo is another who’s over-stayed his welcome in the starting 11.

I don't think Goldson did a lot wrong today.

Katic looked ill at ease with the lump of wood up front although Clancy gave him absolutely nothing protection wise.

Tav is what he is. Hugely talented but liable for a brainfart. Not convinced Polster would be any better.
Goldson has a shocker. First 20 seconds passed the ball out the park tht set the tone. Lost uche for the header tht hit the bar. Lost the ball countless times. Second half could have just let the ball run out for a goal kick and gives away and needless corner.

Goldson and katic were torture the day.

This board has a weird fascination of jumping down individual players throats anytime we don’t perform.

Whilst no one player is exempt from criticism it was obvious today that we didn’t perform as a team and if anyone can’t see that then they’d be as well chucking it altogether.

I would be tempted to play flano on Thursday if fit. We are likely to be defending a lot.

one of the frustrations with Tav is he doesn’t realise he needs to play right back at times, there was a few times when hearts attacked goldson was trying to cover for him as he was posted missing (not for the first time at tynecastle)

As others say, Goldson had a pretty decent game today and very often / usually has to cover for Tav who is either out of position and just can't defend. So, IMO it doesn't matter which of our four Centre back plays RH, other than Helander who is left footed, you will still have the same problem on the right hand side. So CB doesn't need to be a problem and we need to trust the manager (and his team) to make the correct selection ! The problem is at right full back.

I do agree that Flanagan. who can defend, should be given an opportunity at right back, his natural side and, whilst acknowledging that he isn't the best in terms of getting forward, would at least resolve defensive frailties. I do believe that players should be started primarily for their ability in their selected position.

Bear in mind that we have much better attacking options from midfield these days.

Katic can do no wrong on here,he‘s a FF favourite so escapes all criticism!

A player that gets dropped when playing well and then reappears after a few games out into a hard game and expected to just perform.

Ridiculous decision from Gerrard imo. Stop fucking about with the back four unless you're swapping Tav out. Try that for a change.

The only time they seem to communicate, effectively, is when they’re blaming each other for something.

Tavernier finds himself in Goldson’s area of the pitch too much - Goldson let’s Tav get in his area of the pitch too much.

Said before the game that playing Aribo and Ojo in the the same team in a game that was going to be a battle would cost us.These two boys are no where near playing in a team going for titles.They are tanner ba players who disappear when the going gets tough just like so many of these young inexperienced players we have brought in over the past few years.

Goldson has a shocker. First 20 seconds passed the ball out the park tht set the tone. Lost uche for the header tht hit the bar. Lost the ball countless times. Second half could have just let the ball run out for a goal kick and gives away and needless corner.

Goldson and katic were torture the day.
Not worth debating with.

A player that gets dropped when playing well and then reappears after a few games out into a hard game and expected to just perform.

Ridiculous decision from Gerrard imo. Stop fucking about with the back four unless you're swapping Tav out. Try that for a change.
Stop fucking about with the back four unless you're doing what I want or I’m throwing my toys out of my pram.
Would this be closer to what you really mean?

I thought the center-backs were alright today overall.

I think far better players than both Katic and Goldson would at least look uncomfortable against Ikpeazu when he's in that kind of mood. It was like he'd huffed a gram of gear before the match and was throwing himself into everything, looking for a scrap. Like a footballing Deontay Wilder.

That's not an endorsement of his ability. He's absolutely pish and would only be effective at a long ball diddy team in the SPFL. See also Lyndon Dykes.

Tavernier's season is bordering on calamitous.

I thought Goldson was solid today but his distribution is piss poor. Aside from Tavs error I thought our problems started with Ojo and Arfield. Davis, Aribo and Kamara looked poor because 2 of the 3 in front of them were anonymous and caused the midfield three to get caught in possession all day. Goldson, Alfie and Barasic the only pass marks today

Katic looked ill at ease with the lump of wood up front although Clancy gave him absolutely nothing protection wise.

Tav is what he is. Hugely talented but liable for a brainfart. Not convinced Polster would be any better.
Is Tav hugely talented though? Or a player who is ropey in defence at the best of times and over hits most of his crosses

I don’t think we looked at ease with “ the lump of wood “all day mate , he constantly bullied us and won every header and 50/50.

Back